Cool plot twists you'd like to see

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
wintercoat said:
I want a game where, no matter your actions, there is no happy ending. It would be especially poignant in a game with a lot of moral choices throughout that were rife with ambiguity. Imagine, if you will, the end of Mass Effect, only with Shepard and Anderson dying at the hands of the Illusive Man, the Fleet ripped apart by the Reaper forces. A narrative proclaiming that, sometimes, no matter how hard you fight, you cannot avert your fate. Sometimes, you just lose. And this is the only ending. A game where, no matter how hard you fight, no matter how good you do, no matter how many awesome points you accumulate, you lose. Not because you didn't do good enough, but because, sometimes, you just lose. The outrage would be worth such a magnificent piece of art.
Final Fantasy XIII-2. The bad guy wins in every ending.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
JamesStone said:
First time I looked at the trailer for Bioshock Infinite, my thoughts were one, and one only: "what if this was the moment that made Andrew Ryan decide that American values are corrupt?"

So I started imagining a little cameo at the end, where a little Andrew Ryan leaves the destroyed city, holding in his hand a snow globe filled with water, with the image of a city which looks exactly like Rapture, while his parents say something like: "We need a new beggining", followed by child Ryan staring his snow globe.

So, what are the plot twists you would like to see happening. Can be old games, current games, or even games that haven't yet been released.
Sadly, this will not happen, because he is from Russia/USSR, and Liberty city (is that correct) is all about:

OT: I don't have anything particular in mind, but game where at the end you'll understand that your heroic quest had only negative effects and you are, in fact, failure of a hero. After all those games about guys, who end up absolutely victorious in the end, a game without happy ending would be like a brath of fresh air.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
VMK said:
JamesStone said:
First time I looked at the trailer for Bioshock Infinite, my thoughts were one, and one only: "what if this was the moment that made Andrew Ryan decide that American values are corrupt?"

So I started imagining a little cameo at the end, where a little Andrew Ryan leaves the destroyed city, holding in his hand a snow globe filled with water, with the image of a city which looks exactly like Rapture, while his parents say something like: "We need a new beggining", followed by child Ryan staring his snow globe.

So, what are the plot twists you would like to see happening. Can be old games, current games, or even games that haven't yet been released.
Sadly, this will not happen, because he is from Russia/USSR, and Liberty city (is that correct) is all about:

OT: I don't have anything particular in mind, but game where at the end you'll understand that your heroic quest had only negative effects and you are, in fact, failure of a hero. After all those games about guys, who end up absolutely victorious in the end, a game without happy ending would be like a brath of fresh air.
You literally just described Spec Ops: The Line.

OT: I like any twist which makes you reconsider everything that came before, a favourite of mine being Bastion:

The Bastion doesn't stop the Calamity. It just resets time to shortly before it happened, with The Kid, Rucks, Zia and Zulf having no memory of it. The entire game is part of a time loop which will never stop occuring unless you choose to stop it. Immensely depressing, yet beautiful.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
I would love to play a game where aliens attack and you have to defend yourself until the the military come to kill the aliens but then you have to defend yourself from the military because they have been instructed to kill all witnesses to keep the invasion secret.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
How about a variation on the 'You were the bad guy all along' and have 'You were the bad guy all along, but you had absolutely no idea'. You play as a spy or agent of some kind and you go through your typical save the world quest, maybe a few girls along the way and at the end you get your medals and awards and it's fantastic. Except it's not and your character was captured at the end of the tutorial mission. Everything after that was a representation of the character saw after extensive brainwashing and psychotropics. You're then allowed to replay the game without those effects, seeing the brutal murders you committed and eventually the fundamental part you played in allowing a terrorist plot to succeed.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
I want a story where the hero has to contend with a sexy villainess. And actually takes her up on the offer and is drawn to the dark side.

Sex is really underused in fantasy beyond "look a tavern wench, now she's a succubus!"

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Amethyst Wind said:
wintercoat said:
I want a game where, no matter your actions, there is no happy ending. It would be especially poignant in a game with a lot of moral choices throughout that were rife with ambiguity. Imagine, if you will, the end of Mass Effect, only with Shepard and Anderson dying at the hands of the Illusive Man, the Fleet ripped apart by the Reaper forces. A narrative proclaiming that, sometimes, no matter how hard you fight, you cannot avert your fate. Sometimes, you just lose. And this is the only ending. A game where, no matter how hard you fight, no matter how good you do, no matter how many awesome points you accumulate, you lose. Not because you didn't do good enough, but because, sometimes, you just lose. The outrage would be worth such a magnificent piece of art.
Final Fantasy XIII-2. The bad guy wins in every ending.
Yeah, but that was handled so badly, it's more along the lines of "Yay, we won!!!!! :D" and then the game going "lol nope >:D". Not to mention the to be continued at the end was just...ugh.

xochiquetzal

Oct 7, 2010
Mario gets to the castle and princess peach decides that she wants to stay with Bowser, Mario goes home and kills himself. but then you find out it was all a dream. Dan Daan Daaa!!!!!

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
MacNille said:
SpAc3man said:
I would love to play a game where aliens attack and you have to defend yourself until the the military come to kill the aliens but then you have to defend yourself from the military because they have been instructed to kill all witnesses to keep the invasion secret.
So you want to play Half Life again?
That took over an hour which is disappointing.

However you were the winner so you get the cookie.

In all seriousness something along the lines of a Half-Life twist would be fun. I never suspested the first time I played.

Kowalski

Nov 13, 2012
Any game where you are a 'hero', at the end of the game it's revealed to you through a carefully planned and well layed out story that everything you've done may not have been what you thought it was. I wish they had more plot twists in stories getting sick of generic heros.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
This thread really is just a quagmire of spoilers isn't it?

"I want to play a game with a surprise twist ending like this..."

"OK, try playing this game..."

"Oh, gee thanks."

I can really see no remedy to this particular problem though, other than contributing to the madness myself!

frobalt said:
Tom Milner said:
in at any game, where you think your the good guy...

YOU ACTUALLY TURN OUT TO BE THE VILLAIN, AND DIDN'T KNOW IT THE WHOLE TIME.

that would be great, i'd pay to see it
That's what I was actually planning on saying.

How about a game where the first play through has you inevitably fail (Read: Get killed) only to then realise that you were having a premonition and have to prevent what happened from coming true.
ph3195k9 said:
I actually know of a game like that or at least I think I do but once again you'd have the same problem what with the twist being spoiled already.
I know of a game very similar to that...

Second Sight

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
Actually, the funny thing is my brother thought of a similar one about Bioshock Infinite. This was before he knew about the main character choice however, and his was as follows:
At or near the end of the game, you would be trying to get out of Columbia, and either by your character mentioning or someone else (be it your characters parents or even looking at some ID) stating it you would learn that you were playing as a Young Andrew Ryan. I kind of liked that plot twist, though now that I think about it he would have to be pretty young seeing that that Infinite is around 1918 I believe and Bioshock is 1950 something.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Wario and Waluigi are actually the advance scouts for an invading Mirror Universe. It is led by Princess Thorn who is fat and repulsive but also incredibly devious (about as smart as Peach is stupid) but also has a good character in the form of turtle king Apook, but he's a shrimpy nerdy intellectual who is not respected by his followers even though he can breathe ice.

I prefer seeing plot twists that were hinted at previously brought into greater focus. For instance, in the Metroid Fusion instruction manual it states that 'Metroid' is the Chozo word for 'Warrior', hinting that they may have created them solely to counter the X parasites. Surely if their vision is this far-reaching, some of them might have survived having their home planet razed to the ground, right? Perhaps one of their species who wasn't on board with their whole 'protect and defend the galaxy' thing?

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Every game out there are just someone going through an Animus/Total Recall-like machine. Every single game then ends with the "real" character waking up...

It would explain how some videogame characters are unjustifiably competent in pretty much everything.