Cool RPG Settings

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
That's what I loved about that game. You want to be a bunch of college kids in a band? Can do. A cadre of cybered up special forces operators in a guerilla warfare scenario? No problem, you can do that right out of the gate.

I wouldn't necessarily call it newbie friendly though, looking back it was kinda crunchy and you at least need your GM to be pretty familiar with the game if you have new players. New player + new GM is probably going to end up with a lot of dead PCs/sudden GM fudging. Though I suppose a novice GM can do that to anything. I always found I had to do a lot of coaching to new players that had only played DnD or similar to stop them getting into a lot of trouble very quickly.
I’d be willing to bet as long as the GM and players are broadly familiar with the genre, Cyberpunk 2020 would present a fairly easy game to DM compared to more lore heavy stuff like Forgotten Realms. No first campaign is perfect and fuck ups are going to occur; that’s the nature of the beast.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
I’d be willing to bet as long as the GM and players are broadly familiar with the genre, Cyberpunk 2020 would present a fairly easy game to DM compared to more lore heavy stuff like Forgotten Realms. No first campaign is perfect and fuck ups are going to occur; that’s the nature of the beast.
Oh yes, certainly, in terms of understanding the world it's pretty much all done for you. Don't even really need to be familiar with cyberpunk as a genre, If you've lived on earth for any length of time the setting of earth with a few more cool toys is probably quite familiar to you.

Adeptus

Oct 12, 2023
Country
Poland
Cyberpunk is one of the more believable science-fiction settings. We already have brain-computer interfaces and bionic prosthetics, it is just issue of further development of this technologies.