Coolest and dumbest game titles.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Pretty simple, which game titles have you liked, felt it really embodied the game, and then name off some that failed miserably.

Good titles:

-Metal Gear Solid = like the play on words, always made me think of full metal jacket title
-Dues Ex = latin always does well
-Red Dead Redemption = like the play of words and the western feel to it.
-Gears of War = same as above but with war, like "dogs of war"
-Fallout = describes everything the game is set by.
-Resident Evil = like the name more than the games.

and the ones I thought sucked:

-Knight's Contract = contract should never be used in a video game title unless the game is about Hollywood agents or something...0o
-Demon's Souls = As good as the game is, the name still throws me off.
-Wii U = yeah it's not a game, it's a console, but I couldn't resist...-_-

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
Bad titles, all sorts of Japanese games such as the recently announced Bravely Default: Flying Fairy, and, well basically anything Square Enix puts out these days Dissidia Duodecim: Final Fantasy (There's a 12 in there somewhere...), Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days, Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance, Theatrythm: Final Fantasy, and [the third brithday] (A.K.A. Parasite Eve 3).

Good titles, on the subject of Squeenix again I liked The World Ends With You (Even though that isn't the original name of the game) because it describes the theme of the game, but doesn't really tell you anything.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Infinite Undiscoverey was a pretty bad name for a game. Well it wasn't that bad but it still makes me do a double take to make sure I read it correctly.

Bambi On Toast

Sep 9, 2011
Good = DINO CRISIS.

You know where you stand with this game. A crisis with dinosaurs? Hell yeah!

Bad = Final Fantasy.

Somehow the word FINAL doesn't carry much weight when there are fifteen bazillion games in the series.

Good = Serious Sam! His name is Sam, and he is serious. Badass?

Bad = Minecraft. Only because names with "craft" are getting a little boring now.

Cridhe

May 24, 2011
chaosyoshimage said:
Bad titles, all sorts of Japanese games such as the recently announced Bravely Default: Flying Fairy, and, well basically anything Square Enix puts out these days Dissidia Duodecim: Final Fantasy (There's a 12 in there somewhere...), Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days, Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance, Theatrythm: Final Fantasy, and [the third brithday] (A.K.A. Parasite Eve 3).

Good titles, on the subject of Squeenix again I liked The World Ends With You (Even though that isn't the original name of the game) because it describes the theme of the game, but doesn't really tell you anything.
Bambi On Toast said:
Good = DINO CRISIS.

Bad = Final Fantasy.

Somehow the word FINAL doesn't carry much weight when there are fifteen bazillion games in the series.

Bad = Minecraft. Only because names with "craft" are getting a little boring now.
Actually if you knew the story as to why the series is called Final Fantasy it might completely change your mind on that. It's actually pretty cool when you understand it and a very good title name.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
Cridhe said:
chaosyoshimage said:

Bambi On Toast said:
Good = DINO CRISIS.

Bad = Final Fantasy.

Actually if you knew the story as to why the series is called Final Fantasy it might completely change your mind on that. It's actually pretty cool when you understand it and a very good title name.
Why did you quote me? Also, I know why it's called Final Fantasy! The irony is wonderful, Square thought it was going to be their last game. If that bit of video game trivia doesn't do it for you, I've got a Pac-Man fact that'll blow your mind...

Bambi On Toast

Sep 9, 2011
Seems like no attack on the beloved Final Fantasy goes undefended. I don't really have a problem with the Final Fantasy title, I was just checking if there were any fanboys around.

nokori3byo

Feb 24, 2008
Try "Hidden and Dangerous" for a bad title. It's almost like you could plug any two adjectives in there and get a name just as coherent and appropriate for a tactical shooter: "Furry and Disoriented," "Bulky and Debonnaire," "Zesty and Supreme."

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Bambi On Toast said:
Seems like no attack on the beloved Final Fantasy goes undefended. I don't really have a problem with the Final Fantasy title, I was just checking if there were any fanboys around.
So trying to inform you about somthing about a games name = Fanboy? Your logic is flawed or you have no idea what a fanboy is and are just trying to hide your lack of insight on something to make yourself feel better.

On Topic:
Good:

Total Annihilation
I mean really you pretty much do what the name is in game xD

R&C games
There titles often have sexual innudo and it makes me laugh for example the one that had to be changed Clock Blockers xD

Bad:

Any game that has THE GAME in its title

If i think of more il post em

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
nokori3byo said:
Try "Hidden and Dangerous" for a bad title. It's almost like you could plug any two adjectives in there and get a name just as coherent and appropriate for a tactical shooter: "Furry and Disoriented," "Bulky and Debonnaire," "Zesty and Supreme."
Bitchin and Sunglasses? Megadecimil and Moltar xD

Is the tactical shooter good tho I dont rember playing a title with that name

Bambi On Toast

Sep 9, 2011
Veldie said:
Bambi On Toast said:
So trying to inform you about somthing about a games name = Fanboy? Your logic is flawed or you have no idea what a fanboy is and are just trying to hide your lack of insight on something to make yourself feel better.

On Topic:
Good:

Total Annihilation

R&C games
There titles often have sexual innudo and it makes me laugh for example the one that had to be changed Clock Blockers xD

Bad:

Well your overreaction is certainly not helping your "not a fanboy" defense. Hee hee.

Back on topic though, could you explain the origins of the Final Fantasy title? I don't have the patience, money or the mindset to play it and find out for myself. I admit I was ignorant in taking a shot at the precious series, as I haven't played it myself and do not know the story. Please inform me (in less than 10000000 words).

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Most of the titles created in the 70s and 80s. We've just got used to them.

Minecraft is pretty terrible too.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
Bambi On Toast said:
Veldie said:
Bambi On Toast said:

On Topic:
Good:

Total Annihilation

R&C games

Bad:

Well your overreaction is certainly not helping your "not a fanboy" defense. Hee hee.

Back on topic though, could you explain the origins of the Final Fantasy title? I don't have the patience, money or the mindset to play it and find out for myself. I admit I was ignorant in taking a shot at the precious series, as I haven't played it myself and do not know the story. Please inform me (in less than 10000000 words).
This Final Fantasy "fanboy" already did a few posts up...

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Final Fantasy XXXXXVIII

Seriously though, when exactly are they going to get to the FINAL part of Final Fantasy?

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
Bambi On Toast said:
Veldie said:
Bambi On Toast said:
That's not an overreaction. I don't really care about the subject matter, but what you're saying is basically "You argue with me, ergo I am right".

OT:

An example of a good game title: Just Cause. The reasons why are basically explained in Yahtzee's review of the sequel.

A bad name: Demon's Souls. Please, just cut a few S's off the title.

Cridhe

May 24, 2011
Bambi On Toast said:
I could give a crap less about Final Fantasy, I was just pointing something out to someone who seemed less than educated on the subject matter.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Good Title: "Katamari Damacy"

I've always liked the title of this game, and for no particular reason either. It just feels like a perfect fit for such a unique game.

Bad Title: "Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen / HeartGold and SoulSilver"

"HEARTGold and SOULSilver"? WTF? Honestly, it baffles me to think that, at one point, a group of video game executives got together and actually AGREED on using the word "LeafGreen" in a video game title.

...the thought of this alone makes my face FireRed with anger...

nokori3byo

Feb 24, 2008
Veldie said:
nokori3byo said:
Bitchin and Sunglasses? Megadecimil and Moltar xD

Is the tactical shooter good tho I dont rember playing a title with that name
I seem to remember it being pretty fun. You would control a squad of SAS troopers pulling off covert stuff behind enemy lines, killing Nazis, blowing shit up, etc. Somehow, I doubt that it has aged well, but I could be wrong.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Good: A Bard's Tale- and indeed the game was a Bards Tale
Bad: SWTOR, just cause I heard someone at Gamefest pronounce it like "oh you mean, swot or"

chaosyoshimage said:
If that bit of video game trivia doesn't do it for you, I've got a Pac-Man fact that'll blow your mind...
blow my mind, it's a wednesday I can take it!