Coolest/badassiest military ranks?

exessmirror

Apr 26, 2011
korporaal der stoottroepen. or luitenant in de 11 mobiele luchbrigade. i think those are some pretty awesome sounding ranks within my military. or maby huzzaar or feldjager

savandicus

Jun 5, 2008
I personally have always been a fan of Lord Commander, something about it just rings cool.

Also zee captain is pretty badass.

Panorama

Carry on Jeeves
Dec 7, 2010
Supreme Commander of all allied forces?

Supreme commander of all allied powers apparently according to wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Commander_for_the_Allied_Powers

Saregon

Yes.. Swooping is bad.
May 21, 2012
SckizoBoy said:
Saregon said:
For me it's a draw between two, privates in the Norwegian army's armored batallion are called Dragoons, which is a remainder from the days of cavalry on horseback.
Only just occurred to me, but I think that's not quite right (though not being Norwegian, I may well be wrong, myself), but 'Dragoons' is the battalion's designation (with some appropriate pre-cursor), while privates are labelled as 'Trooper' (at least the C18th ones and onwards were called as such... or equivalent). As the 'dragoon' was a troop type and not a rank, denoting an evolution from the pistolier i.e. mounted infantry who did the bulk of outflank/feinting in post-baroque era battles. I think the term 'dragoon' rather lost its meaning and became just another type of heavy cavalry by the late 1700's. Ah well...
Haven't really researched the history of it, but you are partially correct. The whole dragoons being a troop type is correct, but a private in the cavalry ('Panserbataljonen', lit. Armored Batallion) today is supposed to be addressed as a dragoon, or 'dragon' in Norwegian (Yay for the easiest translation ever!) It's merely a quirk they have, like captains in the same batallion are called 'Rittmester' lit. 'Riding Master' or something similar, not sure if a corresponding name exist in English military jargon.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Can't go wrong with Gunnery Sergeant, maybe Master Gunnery Sergeant for an extra level.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Saregon said:
Haven't really researched the history of it, but you are partially correct. The whole dragoons being a troop type is correct, but a private in the cavalry ('Panserbataljonen', lit. Armored Batallion) today is supposed to be addressed as a dragoon, or 'dragon' in Norwegian (Yay for the easiest translation ever!) It's merely a quirk they have, like captains in the same batallion are called 'Rittmester' lit. 'Riding Master' or something similar, not sure if a corresponding name exist in English military jargon.
Aaaahhh, iiiiiiiiinteresting... and thank you! Oddly enough, the word 'dragoon' comes from 'dragon' because of the ensemble: a short snubby stick that belches fire in the hands of a fast moving soldier, go figure...(!)

As for that captain's rank, that would translate as 'knight-captain' or 'knight-lieutenant' (or 'Knight-Master' if taken literally), I guess, going from German (Ritter = Knight). We don't have 'em here, but it'd be cool if we did.

Chunga the Great

Sep 12, 2010
NinjaDeathSlap said:
ForgottenPr0digy said:
Master Chief???

does that count?
Yes it does, and this. It's always sounded so gloriously over the top to me, a bit like how some men's grooming products are advertised by adding random 'power' words to them ('New Gilette STRENGTH FORCE: MAX, for MEN!') Almost like someone said, "Hey, Master and Chief are both titles that imply strength in leadership, so let's slam'em both together to make all new MASTER CHIEF: DELUX, for MEN!"
I think you guys are referring to Master Chief Petty Officer, which unfortunately doesn't sound as amazing as Master Chief.

OT: Inquisitor and Chaplain are pretty cool even though they aren't real.

BlackEagle95

Apr 3, 2011
Generalissimo

General of the Armies of the United States
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_of_the_Armies

Chief Warrant Officer

Field Marshal

Saregon

Yes.. Swooping is bad.
May 21, 2012
BlackEagle95 said:
Generalissimo
I always found that hilarious, because even though it's a real rank, it's often played for comedy in Norwegian cartoon dubs. You would have the really bombastic general character strutting around with his hat and sword and a barn door full of medals on his chest. After that I can never take it seriously.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:

I dunno, something about Major just sounds right to me.
Captain.

Sparrow, Harkness, Crunch, Morgan, Kirk, Picard.

Two of those are called Jack!

I want to join the Royal Marines, but unfortunately Captain Jack Binns doesn't have the same ring to it...

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Either Colonel or Captain.
OR Super Hero or Full Armor Guy. Gotta love last alert. That game is amazing.

Lord Kloo

Jun 7, 2010
Looky here.. you Yanks don't know how to do awesome military ranks, you have to be Soviet Era Russian or 19th Century British to understand..

Russian - Commissariat, I mean can you get more awesome..?

Imperial British - 1st Sea Lord, Admiral of the Grand Fleet.. we think its sounds better when you put lots of titles together such as:

The Most Honourable 1st Marquess of Kedleston, Viceroy of India George Nathaniel Curzon, Knight of the Garter, Order of the Star of India, Order of the Indian Empire, Her Majesty's Most Honourable Privy Council. - Gotta love dem titles..

Favorite though are those beautiful made up ones like Lord Commissar or Lord High Admiral.. such fun

Lectori Salutem

Apr 11, 2011
Sergeant of the Master Sergeants Most Important Person of Extreme Sergeants to the Max!

I mean, what else would you want to be?

theparsonski

May 29, 2010
Flight Lieutenant - pronounced the British way. My dad was one, and I think it has such a ring to it.

Also love Wing Commander and Squadron Leader (sounds so heroic, right?).

Alas, I'm just a lowly Cadet.

Captcha: laser beams. If only there was a rank involving laser beams...

Seishisha

By the power of greyskull.
Aug 22, 2011
Rank of the Supreme Accuser of the kree empire, now thats a title you want on your CV