Copyright Lawyers Sued by Copyright Infringers

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
MurderousToaster said:
Next thing you know, a unicorn may have sued them all for stealing its cheesecake.
That already happened, but then the cheesecake sued as it felt it was going to be murdered, then a knife and fork sued as they felt they were being manhandled.

The lawyers then sued the knife and fork for not fulfilling their contracts, at which point the lawyers sued the unicorn after alleging that the cheesecake was theirs to begin with and the unicorn initially stole it of them anyway, so they stole it back and ate it with their hands (as the knife and fork were in a meeting with their legal representation).

[sup]I think I've just broken my brain[/sup]

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
This makes me so very happy. I have little tolerance for those that prey on the uninformed when it comes to legal matters. The law here is so commonly bent and twisted to suit the needs of the already successful and powerful individuals, with little to no help ever going towards the individuals. I really hope to see more instances like this, but unfortunately I'm pretty pessimistic that any good will actually come of this. While the lawsuit may have been filed, I wouldn't put it past any judge to rule in favor of those abusing the system.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
This... Is brilliant.

And good PR, to be blunt. I mean, it's a game studio behind this counter-suit. They have as much interest in preventing piracy as any other company that produces IP, and yet they're backing a lawsuit that superficially at least, supports piracy.

Of course, the reality, is, as they point out, that these people are making a mockery of the legal system, and should be stopped.

Because, honestly, this undermines the legal system itself. And that's a really, really, bad thing.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
JordanMillward_1 said:
As a trainee solicitor in the UK that wants to get into Intellectual Property Law, I just want to say...

Good. These companies and lawfirms that accuse people of IP theft and don't in any way intend to back up their claims with actual evidence or cases brought to court deserve to be sued into oblivion. Those bloodsucking parasites are one of the major reasons the legal profession is hated by gamers, and I hope that this case will help stop the huge number of allegations being thrown out every month by some of these advocacy groups and publishers.
As someone who was dissuaded from moving on to law school after all the law classes he had to take to get his current degree? Here here.

Wutaiflea

Mar 17, 2009
I used to work in international patents and copyrights back in t'day and I can honestly say it's the most convoluted bullshit going.

The laws throughout the world vary so greatly, and are so fucking vague, that its easy for anyone with a professional-looking letterhead to make threats whether their intellectual property is under adequate protection or not.

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
December 20, 2010: Copyright layers sued by anti-copyright layers who sued the copyright layers then sued more anti-copyright layers, have they themselves been sued by anti-copyright layers while being sued by their own company, who is being sued by the Supreme Court for getting "just plain silly".

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
NeedAUserName said:
MurderousToaster said:
Next thing you know, a unicorn may have sued them all for stealing its cheesecake.
That already happened, but then the cheesecake sued as it felt it was going to be murdered, then a knife and fork sued as they felt they were being manhandled.

The lawyers then sued the knife and fork for not fulfilling their contracts, at which point the lawyers sued the unicorn after alleging that the cheesecake was theirs to begin with and the unicorn initially stole it of them anyway, so they stole it back and ate it with their hands (as the knife and fork were in a meeting with their legal representation).

[sup]I think I've just broken my brain[/sup]
That is the best thing i have heard in my entire life.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Frankly it is about damn time somebody did this - the activities that particular law firm has been engaging in (and I suspect most "copyright defense" lawyers are as well) is absolutely extortion - they aren't suing infringers and offering to settle out of court, they're threatening to drag possible infringers (don't need proof if it never goes to court!) into expensive litigation if they don't pay up to the tune of a settlement.

When the mafia suggests that it sure would be terrible if something ever happened to you and wouldn't it be so much better for your peace of mind if you payed them a small fee to make sure it doesn't, that is a [insert favorite expletive of choice here] crime. Exploiting the due process of the legal system to achieve the same thing doesn't make it any less reprehensible and shady of an action, and that law firm deserves to get the pants sued off it for engaging in such tactics.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
Awww, stupid pirates ruining the suits and ties extortion racket? Is nothing sacred anymore? Humf.

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
This is pretty cool, using the law to beat the law.. lawyers have been doing this forever, it's good to see the little guy getting his own back.

It's a real pity though, the suits won't allow them to win it, they'll just buy the judges, per usual.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Freezy_Breezy said:
Um, Andy? Why did you post this twice?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.247222-Copyright-Lawyers-Sue-Lawyer-Who-Helped-Copyright-Defendants
Nope - this is the defendants suing the lawyers suing their lawyer LOL - it's all one big happy suing family, and I love it! He did use the same pic though ;)

Aug 25, 2009
That is the funniest thing I have read in a long time.

I still want to know why people are voluntarily downloading Far Cry though, my question from the last topic went unanswered!

Anyway, OT, it just goes to show that you should never get too lawsuit happy, especially when the people you were attempting to sue actually have legal advice now.

gilthanan

May 25, 2008
jumjalalabash said:
Anyone who would go out of there way to watch the Far Cry movie deserve punishment.
This.

Seriously.

But good for them. The only bands that care are bands like Aerosmith that have literally sold their souls the record industry. That's why so many bands are releasing music for free or cheap online nowadays, because they really earn their money at concerts and via merchandise.

http://labs.timesonline.co.uk/blog/2009/11/12/do-music-artists-do-better-in-a-world-with-illegal-file-sharing/

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Freezy_Breezy said:
Wicky_42 said:
Nope - this is the defendants suing the lawyers suing their lawyer LOL - it's all one big happy suing family, and I love it! He did use the same pic though ;)
You may find my post has been slightly altered between my posting and you replying :p
Hah, yes that is some significant editing ;) I was wondering if you were making an ironic remark as to the similarity of the news posts... I guess not :p

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
MelasZepheos said:
That is the funniest thing I have read in a long time.

I still want to know why people are voluntarily downloading Far Cry though, my question from the last topic went unanswered!

Anyway, OT, it just goes to show that you should never get too lawsuit happy, especially when the people you were attempting to sue actually have legal advice now.
Cos it's better than the sequel? Well, the first half certainly is. Plus, there was a sequel, which naturally makes people interesting in it's far distant predecessor. Also of note is Farcry's incredible (for the time) engine - it had features sooo far ahead of the hardware available it was practically prescient, lol.

EDIT: wait - Farcry the Film? Huh, that's a different kettle of fish :S My bad.