Copyright Lawyers Sued by Copyright Infringers

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
Excellent, I love to see pirates doing things right and being portrayed as intelligent people rather than sleazy and detrimental to society.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Fronzel said:
Wicky_42 said:
MelasZepheos said:
That is the funniest thing I have read in a long time.

I still want to know why people are voluntarily downloading Far Cry though, my question from the last topic went unanswered!

Anyway, OT, it just goes to show that you should never get too lawsuit happy, especially when the people you were attempting to sue actually have legal advice now.
Cos it's better than the sequel? Well, the first half certainly is. Plus, there was a sequel, which naturally makes people interesting in it's far distant predecessor. Also of note is Farcry's incredible (for the time) engine - it had features sooo far ahead of the hardware available it was practically prescient, lol.
You're confused; they're talking about the FarCry movie.
Yeah, I got that... eventually, lol. My bad, completely understand the original confusion ^_^

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
Delusibeta said:
mjc0961 said:
I'd say "Good job sticking it to them", but I have to remember that they are still people who are illegally downloading stuff instead of purchasing it. Both sides in this are the bad guys and I hope a way is found for them to both lose.
They're accused of downloading illegal content. With accused by the main word here. AFAIK there was not much in the way of proof.
Yea, specially there were ten of thousands of people. I really don't believe the law have enough or any evidence to back up it's "claim".

Jaser

Mar 30, 2010
Wicky_42 said:
Freezy_Breezy said:
Um, Andy? Why did you post this twice?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.247222-Copyright-Lawyers-Sue-Lawyer-Who-Helped-Copyright-Defendants
Nope - this is the defendants suing the lawyers suing their lawyer LOL - it's all one big happy suing family, and I love it! He did use the same pic though ;)
Pretty soon the defendants are gonna be suing the lawyers' lawyers' because they were suing the defendants' lawyers and that's gonna escalate into a lawyer fight, in which law books shall be thrown around the court-room (also, they're gonna need some HUGE tables to fit all those lawyers)

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Wait, couldn't these people just defend themselves in court anyway?

Anyone with even a passing glance at law should know that a case will be thrown out if there is no evidence.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
HAHA!!! So basically, the lawfirm that scares everybody with lawsuits just got it ass handed lawsuits from those very people...

I bet alot of those people baught that self-help guide...

Georgie_Leech

Nov 10, 2009
dogstile said:
Wait, couldn't these people just defend themselves in court anyway?

Anyone with even a passing glance at law should know that a case will be thrown out if there is no evidence.
That's the problem, and the ewntire point of this counter-suit. Even if there is no chance that they'll be found liable, court battles can easily cost the defendant thousands of dolars, even without a defence council. The USCG knows this, and so threatens a lawsuit but offering a comparitively less expensive option of a settlement, where they pay some agreed-upon fee to their clientsto avoid the lawsuit. In other words, they're saying "Pay us this money or we'll drag you into court over it." The gist of this lawsuit is that that is precisely the intent of threatening thosands of people with lawsuits; not a fair hearing under the law, but extorting money from people too poor to defend themselves.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
It will be interesting to see what happens from here on out.

It might not be an easy matter to buy out the judges (if your that cynical) or see the copyright office bull through it, if these claims are going to result in people putting forward money as well.

See, if hundreds or thousands of people involved in this all chip in a hundred bucks or so (since they were threatened for $1500 or more apiece) that gives them the money to hire lawyers to represent them collectively and keep an eye on things. Of course this also means that even if there is a settlement, after the legal fees any award gained is liable to be split up so many ways as to do very little except cost the copyright lawyers a nice chunk of change.

We'll see what happens, it will probably be a long time in coming before any resolution is reached.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
So, the lawyers are suing someone for breaking their multi-thousand dollar extortion racket with $20 packages, and getting bit by the guys they were trying to extort. If they try suing against these guys, and it spirals from there, this will become truly amusing, as long as the extortionist assholes end up bankrupt by the absurdity.

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
kaizen2468 said:
If what this post says is true and they're fear mongers intimidating people into settling, I hope they get destroyed in this.
Maybe those lawyers, just lost their edge

*edit*
Now if someone could do the same for traffic tickets...

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
The way I see it, if tomorrow 25% of the country turned psycho and each murdered someone at random, would we see fit to apply the death penalty to 25% of the country in the rough area it happened, because it's close enough and it's gonna save on paperwork?

No, if you had concrete evidence, then perhaps we'd let police shoot on sight, but you don't just nail say...the westmost 25% of the country and call it 'close enough'.

Just because it's going to be some work to prosecute someone breaking copyright law, it does not mean you can just make up the rules.

I'm getting mighty sick of corporations just steamrollering over everything, when most of them are doing just fine anyways, by all means chase the criminals, but do it within current laws, and ideally, keep some level of morality too, so you don't look scummier than the pirates you're chasing.

Here's my question, if they're losing so much money, how can they constantly afford highly paid fleets of lawyers at a moment's notice? I imagine if they quit being dicks, they'd not have to sell another 5,000 copies of a movie to pay for a couple more hours of lawyer time.

The sheer tidal wave of real money that gets thrown away trying to stop the loss of potential money would be hilarious if it wasn't so idiotic and tragic at once.

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
Good.

I have no love for pirates but this sort of legal extortion is worse. It's essentially no different than extortionists telling you that Vito will break your kneecaps if you don't pay protection.

And, as has been said, people have only been ACCUSED. I had this happen to me when a Canadian law firm threatened me with the exact same type of suit. (In my case, they claimed to be collecting for charge calls made from my phone.) Wasted the better part of a day making sure that they couldn't do what they were claiming they could take me to court for. The only thing that they had to pay for is two long distance phone calls. (Believe me, they pressured me with the first call trying to get me to make a snap decision.)

Giovanto

Jun 3, 2008
Sir Subtle said:
Irridium said:
Wait, so the assholes who started suing everyone are now getting sued by the people that they sued?

Sweet. I think.

EDIT: Oh, also...

'This video contains content from Vevo, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds'

Classic.
Irony.

OT: I can't side with either of them. Self-entitled pirates suck. But so do sue-happy money extorting cartels. If you are one of these two things, then you suck. So while I can't pat the backs of the pirates, I can say that the cartel had this coming. Let's see how they like getting a taste of this.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
If successful, the action might not just end the USCG rampage but change the very nature of copyright infringement legal actions. If law firms are required to operate within their means, so to speak, and must be ready and able to litigate every case they threaten, it could make the prospect of engaging in these carpet-bombing campaigns prohibitively expensive even for the most deep-pocketed plaintiffs, or, more likely, bring the practice to an end altogether.
So wait, if I'm understanding, then this tactic of threatening mass amounts of people to try and scare them into a settlement regardless of their actual culpability is the NORM, not this rouge group of attourneys that got off their leashes?

I hope these guys go down in flames, I really do. Every last one. I had just started to work up a bit of respect for this country and its legal system, but if this is it, a system run on fear tactics, then I'd rather see it go down in flames and live in anarchy. At least gang violence fear tactics are honest.