Copyright Shenanigans

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
The funniest thing about all this: Everyone is blaming Google/YouTube, and it looks like it's not even YouTube's fault!

Relevant Video [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2gswdiH3VE]

It'll be interesting to see how this all falls out.

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
LordLundar said:
Sad part is the Brothers Grimms works are Public Domain but given how heavily this new setup is being abused it doesn't matter.
Making this joke even more ironic.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Nergui said:
Here's a related question - Could Google be a serious contender for 2014 "Worst Company in America"? Especially as EA doesn't even seem to be in the running.
the contest is for the worst customer from a consumer perspective. Youtube seems most interested in fucking over their providers, which screws their consumers only tangentially.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Lord_Jaroh said:
The funniest thing about all this: Everyone is blaming Google/YouTube, and it looks like it's not even YouTube's fault!
It's half and half actually. YouTube's automated copyright flagging system is the most broken thing in existence and it's been broken for years, with YouTube never seeming to actually try and fix it. The reason more of the people who were once protected by the partners are is because they have to go back to this shitty system that they tried to get away from.
I've never been partnered and have about 700+ videos, and have never monetized. However, the amount of false flags I've received from people because of YouTube's system is outrageous. I've had to deal with over 300 Content ID Matches my year and a half LPing, and out of those 300 a total of 4 actually were from companies that owned the copyright and the IP.

Hell my favorite one was when a group known as Orchard Music claimed I was using their music in 2 Kingdom Hearts videos and ended up flagging my episodes that showed the CGI opening. Thing was though, I removed Simple and Clean and Hikari from both of the videos and there was literally no audio at all at that part. I checked to see if they had filed a visual claim against me, which they were still in the wrong since they didn't own the rights, and nope they claimed it was audio I used. So basically, I got flagged for having silence in my video! That should show how broken YouTube's system is entirely I believe.

The whole MCN thing would take took long for me to rant on though, and pretty much Ohm said it perfectly so I don't have to. :p

wwmcfar

Oct 12, 2009
This shit is why I support piracy. If these amoral corporate machines are going to treat everyone like criminals and give us no recourse to defend ourselves then why should we be good little law abiding sheep.
FUCK CORPERATIONS AND FUCK COPYRIGHT!

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
JoJo said:
Alcom1 said:
JoJo said:
I wouldn't be surprised if YouTube ends up going the way of MySpace eventually if Google doesn't sort itself out, it's been a fair few weeks and it still won't let me sort through comments left on my videos that have been 'marked as spam', even if at-least half are innocent of the accusation. Poor show all round.
So what/which alternative should be our alternative to YouTube?
This is a personal list I've compiled from other people's suggestions, though I haven't had time to check them out yet so I can't vouch for if they're any good or not.

Dailymotion
Vimeo
Twitch.tv
Game Anyone
Blip.tv
Only dailymotion is the real contender for game footage IMO.

Vimeo simply does not allow game footage on their site.

Game Anyone is great if you want to find a game, but not great if you want to form a viewership for you and your personality. There isn't a notion of "channels" on it, so to speak.

Twitch is for streaming. I don't even think you can upload an edited video to the site?

Blip.tv will cancel your account if you're not profitable enough.