Could a light saber be possible to make?

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
It would be kind of pointless anyway, who the hell would be able to use it effectively as a weapon. You are more likely to harm yourself with it than someone else.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
I'm not sure if it's impossible or not. What I am sure of though is that I wouldn't want to have it work that way.

Seriously, the whole point of light-sabres are that they're persistent laser beams limited to a 3-foot length. I'd rather have a persistent laser beam that I could, y'know, shoot people with.

daydreamerdeluxe

Jun 26, 2009
Vindestructable said:
from what I understand its theoretically possible to make something similar to a lightsaber blade out of plasma but the machine required to create the containment field would be the size of a room
A few decades ago, the most advanced computers occupied entire rooms. Now, I have one, drastically more powerful, sat on my lap (laptop), with another, hand-sized one in my pocket (iPod touch).
Current restraints in technology will be laughable in the future, so that's not a limitation we should bother with ;)

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
Why all the laser talk? All you need to do is shoot a stream of hot plasma from the handle and pull it back in with a magnet - easy. The power source would, of course, be a portable fusion reactor concealed in the lower half of the handle.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
To make a lightsabre exactly as per starwars would be a considerable challenge. For a start what is the starwars lightsabre? it doesn't have the properties of any known phenomena in physics:

1) the beams hit each other and stop as if solid.

2) the beam extends slowly enough that you can see it happen (substantially slower than the speed of light)

3) the beam has a tremendous amount of energy, comparing directly to a laser beam it would be more powerful than any laser created thus far by man.

4) the beam stops at a certain length of extension with no visible means of restraint.

These are all remarkable properties, and I cant even begin to imagine how that could be created, even in theory.
However if the question is simply could we create a lightsabre? rather than could we create a starwars lightsabre.. then that leaves a lot more leeway for an engineering solution. I'm not going to say it wouldnt be possible, but it would be unlikely to have the properties of the starwards lightsabre above.

daydreamerdeluxe said:
Vindestructable said:
from what I understand its theoretically possible to make something similar to a lightsaber blade out of plasma but the machine required to create the containment field would be the size of a room
A few decades ago, the most advanced computers occupied entire rooms. Now, I have one, drastically more powerful, sat on my lap (laptop), with another, hand-sized one in my pocket (iPod touch).
Current restraints in technology will be laughable in the future, so that's not a limitation we should bother with ;)
There is a big difference between the limitations of computer technology and the limitations of physics. We control one, we do not control the other.

Deadyawn

Jan 25, 2011
Anti Nudist Cupcake said:
Reet72 said:
I personally have no idea and I really can't be bothered to find out. I think we should just ask Cave Johnson.
Yeah, he can have absolutely anything made if he just puts his mind to it.

Quantum space holes? NO PROBLEM! Flashy laser sword? Pffft, too easy.

I hear the combustible lemons project is going quite well.

Yes the "lemons that will burn your house down" project is probably one of the more esoteric yet important advances in science of the century. I have it on good authority that lightsabres are in the works, albiet on the backburners since the tester dismemberment incident.

Hellkite_Overload

Jul 15, 2011
Continuity said:
To make a lightsabre exactly as per starwars would be a considerable challenge. For a start what is the starwars lightsabre? it doesn't have the properties of any known phenomena in physics:

1) the beams hit each other and stop as if solid.

2) the beam extends slowly enough that you can see it happen (substantially slower than the speed of light)

3) the beam has a tremendous amount of energy, comparing directly to a laser beam it would be more powerful than any laser created thus far by man.

4) the beam stops at a certain length of extension with no visible means of restraint.

These are all remarkable properties, and I cant even begin to imagine how that could be created, even in theory.
However if the question is simply could we create a lightsabre? rather than could we create a starwars lightsabre.. then that leaves a lot more leeway for an engineering solution. I'm not going to say it wouldnt be possible, but it would be unlikely to have the properties of the starwards lightsabre above.
Read my post on pg 1 (if you haven't already) It roughly explains everything you just mentioned :)

Aikayai

May 31, 2011
I remember reading one of these months ago. The lightsabers in Star Wars are impossible to make, since light is a wave of photons and they have no capability of being projected in a way that a lightsaber works. Laser Swords or more likely Laser Rapiers are less unlikely, but since we can't see laser light as it travels unless it collides with something on the way it wouldn't work in the same way. You'd just see someone lose a limb out of thin air. Even then to have a laser that powerful in something so small would need a massive leap in technology. The most likely though still impractical is a modification to a modern day plasma cutter. A magnetised shaft would be charged while compressed gas is released from tiny nozzles along the shaft. The "blade" would be in whichever direction the nozzles point. Again, the technology required would be immense and the user would likely need to carry a tank of a compressed inert gas. Since the Flamethrower is impractical enough, I doubt it would ever be invented.

I'm still holding out for some anti-matter blade or something. Though it would probably fall through the floor if I dropped it :p

Avdutch

Jun 22, 2011
Realitycrash said:
Out of light? No. Out of something else? Yes.
What then? Keep in mind all electromagnetic radiation is simply waves of photons (that's right, the only difference between say radio waves, microwaves and visible light is the wavelenght).

TrilbyWill said:
yes it is entirely possible. Michio Kaku did a series (Science of the Impossible) where he found out if science could physically do these things.
basically the handle is made of titanium, is filled with two compounds of plasma which a fan blows and mixes into the blade and is powered by nano-batteries.
he gave an estimate of 50 years until we have the tech to try this.
you cant use light though. it has no mass.
The fact that light has no mass is in this case irrelevant. That is because while photons do have a mass of 0, fortunately they do have energy, see above. Although, I would agree that light is impractical because of it's low energy, but extremely short wavelenghts of electromagnetic radiation would do the trick.

At any rate, I don't know if it's possible but I really hope they figure something out, cause that would be cool.

Of course there are lots and lots of problems that you have to solve, powersource (nano-batteries sounds all nice but I mentioned the idea to my dad and all he did was softly but persistently bang his head against the wall, and he's kind of an expert on the subject), containment, etc etc.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
i remember watching the history channel a few years ago and they said they had made a lightsaber...it was just the size of a steam engine

SilverKyo

Apr 15, 2009
Hellkite_Overload said:
SilverKyo said:
Regardless of whether or not the blade is actually possible or not (I particularly enjoy Overlord's thesis which seems to be within the realm of potential reality at least), none of that can really override the obvious flaw in the weapon. Even if by the grace of god you managed to find something to contain the radiation/heat from whatever infinite power source you managed to find, it doesn't change that the sheer heat and volume of energy the blade itself would give off would burn you within seconds. Just holding something that would have to be nearly as hot or powerful as a NASA rocket launch, if not the surface of the sun itself, in your hand would kill you near instantly.
Thank you :) And as a small note, the lightsaber would not need an infinite power source, as the right balance of blade and/or field intesity would (again theoretically) greatly reduce the amount of energy lost while the loop is active, but not cutting. So, granted it would have to be powerful, but a finite energy source could power the lightsaber for a good deal of time. And as for the problem of severe burns, I imagaine that could be somewhat mitigated by the same balance of power/field intensity and specialized protective gear worn by the user. I imagine it would be somewhat akin to swinging around a constantly active arc-welder...not very safe (for anyone involved xD) but weapons aren't really safe in general. A bigger concern in my mind is the effects of the intense containment fieled involed on human tissue (read: lots of cancer REALLY fast 0.o lol) Thank you again for aknowledging the potential of the design!
I can see how wearing some form of protection could save you from the heat/radiation/cancer, but I honestly can't think of any method of doing this that would allow you to have the range of movement/flexibility/vision necessary to use it for it's intended purpose of combat. But then again, maybe they'd just have really fancy armor in the future? It's the future, how am I supposed to know? I think I'm thinking too much about this problem or near future and not into the very distant future where I'm sure this is perfectly possible, one way or another.

daydreamerdeluxe

Jun 26, 2009
Continuity said:
daydreamerdeluxe said:
Vindestructable said:
There is a big difference between the limitations of computer technology and the limitations of physics. We control one, we do not control the other.
Of course, but I can show similar reductions in size in laser technology, combustion engines, 3D printers, the list goes on. It may that we can't get electromagnetic containment field machines smaller than a room, but all our current evidence paints a different story. With continuous advancements in various sciences, including the newly emerging metamaterials, it is more logical to assume a room-sized piece of equipment now will always be a room-sized piece of equipment.

Also, don't be so sure about the big difference between those two limitations. Computer technology with its current architecture is starting to reach the limits of physics, so we're finding other methods of making them. We're human, we aren't going to let the limitations of physics get in our way forever.

Jun 11, 2008
A laser lightsaber? God no to my knowledge that will never ever happen as that is not really how lasers work. An energy sword or a plasma sword if we found a way to contain it is possible.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Hellkite_Overload said:
A lightsaber works by generating an arc of pure energy in a loop outwards from the blade emitter.
It's easy to say "pure energy", but what does that mean? What state is it in, what particle is it contained in? Energy always exists in some form or another, not just in isolation. You're already using electromagnetic fields to contain your 'energy', which means that it MUST be a charged particle of some sort else the electromagentic field would do nothing. Unless you're talking about using the electromagnetic field itself as being the damage-causing component then I don't think that would work as em fields aren't known for their damage-causing properties :/

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by generating an 'arc', as bending an em field like that I wouldn't think is reasonably conceivable, not without some SERIOUS em interference with any electronics within the proximity. Bending an electromagnetic field like that, and maintaining it in any other electromagnetic field - eg, that around a planet - is surely going to cause continuous energy loss and destabilisation of the arc.

I dunno, the un-capped nature of the beam is always problematic. If you were able to form a column of electromagnetic energy then you have the potential to create a sword of charged particles that would repel other similar weapons (though it would be lols-worthy to make one with the reverse polarity that just neutralises both weapons XD) and could disrupt charged particle beams and magnetically-contained projectiles. I just don't know how you'd do that first part. Oh yeah, and energy costs, like you mentioned, would be astronomical... ah well.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
If we give or take a couple of centuries and scientists actually devote time to it other then doing pointless studies such as how monkeys react negatively to being stabbed (there has been alot of 'state the obvious' findings from science at times..) then sure, we can probably get lightsabers.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Hellkite_Overload said:
Read my post on pg 1 (if you haven't already) It roughly explains everything you just mentioned :)
OK I read most of your post but it still doesnt hold up. Lets just look at the "cylindrical magnetic field" and the problems with creating that and the properties it would have once created. nevermind the other nonsense.

1) there is no way to project a straight magnetic field (magnetic field lines curve, period) and even if there is a way there is then no way to make that "cap off" at the end.

2) its a magnetic field. you would find your sword flying out of your hand toward the nearest large piece of metal.

3) you would not be able to fence as magnets repel, they don't create an invisible solid edge. Just get two magnets and play around with them, you'll find its difficult to get same poles close to each other and opposite pole attract and clamp together.

4) there is no way to create a cylindrical magnetic field. i.e. with the same pole presented in each direction... a fundamental property of magnetic fields is that a north pole is always matched with a south pole in the opposite direction... if this wasn't the case then several important laws of physics would be broken and you could create perpetual motion machines and other nonsense.

Hellkite_Overload

Jul 15, 2011
Wicky_42 said:
Hellkite_Overload said:
A lightsaber works by generating an arc of pure energy in a loop outwards from the blade emitter.
It's easy to say "pure energy", but what does that mean? What state is it in, what particle is it contained in? Energy always exists in some form or another, not just in isolation. You're already using electromagnetic fields to contain your 'energy', which means that it MUST be a charged particle of some sort else the electromagentic field would do nothing. Unless you're talking about using the electromagnetic field itself as being the damage-causing component then I don't think that would work as em fields aren't known for their damage-causing properties :/

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by generating an 'arc', as bending an em field like that I wouldn't think is reasonably conceivable, not without some SERIOUS em interference with any electronics within the proximity. Bending an electromagnetic field like that, and maintaining it in any other electromagnetic field - eg, that around a planet - is surely going to cause continuous energy loss and destabilisation of the arc.

I dunno, the un-capped nature of the beam is always problematic. If you were able to form a column of electromagnetic energy then you have the potential to create a sword of charged particles that would repel other similar weapons (though it would be lols-worthy to make one with the reverse polarity that just neutralises both weapons XD) and could disrupt charged particle beams and magnetically-contained projectiles. I just don't know how you'd do that first part. Oh yeah, and energy costs, like you mentioned, would be astronomical... ah well.
You're right, "pure energy" is really easy to say (rather than explaining anything specific, kind of a cop-out, I know xD) Simply using the term "energy" leaves it open to interpretation what kind of energy is to be utilized (and thus avoids unneccessary nit-picking) I generally think of the "energy" as being perhaps electrical. Creating a contained "arc-loop" of intense electrical energy (think ARC welder in blade form) Not using the EM field to do damage, or bending it in any way...more like using it for Containing lightning in a loop within the EM field, if you will (to grossly simplify the idea for description's sake anyway, haha) like I said, the design's not perfect, I'm no physicist xD It just annoys me to no end that people always pick on how the "lightsaber isn't possible" by tearing down theories that AREN'T how lightsabers function!!! (ie: "laser-swords") Thank you for actualy bringing up good points :)

Captain_Pancreas

Sep 27, 2010
I think another major problem is in actually using it. The blade itself will have no weight whatsoever thus making it incredibly likely you'd just injure yourself. When using a sword a crucial part of the balance is the weight of the blade counterbalancing the weight of the hilt. Im not sure how possible it would be to effectively use a sword with almost no weight whatsoever

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
lucky_sharm said:
It's understandable how it would seem undoable. There's the issue of creating a laser powerful enough to actually cut through things instantaneously, and then you have to figure out how to limit the extension of the laser.

But, if they somehow could solve both of these issues, couldn't the result very well look like this?

**snipped**

The beam katana from No More Heroes may not be as elegant and magical as the light saber from Star Wars, but it could very well be possible to make some day in the future.
Nah, better just have several lasers converge at a certain length, say 1-1.5 metres.

And, if it worked correctly, the lasers wouldn't extend beyond the convergence point, but having a stupid metal bar run up the top, no, that's just not going to do it.

waive

Sep 12, 2010
While possible, the use of the Lightsaber came from several variables in the starwars universe that actually made them usefull

Those things being
a) people had magic powers that gave them the ability to use the weapons effectively
b) the primary weapon at the time could be defended against with the sword and magic powers
c) they are just as symbolic to the universes culture, making them more then a weapon/toy

Seeing as we do not have the Force, there would be no real reason to wield the weapons in melee range. If anything we would turn them into ranged weapons and bombard pin points from space.

Although I suppose if we developed an android or something with super human speed and reflexes, they could wield the weapons.