Could a sniper kill Magneto?

Brawndo

Jun 29, 2010
This thought came to me when I was watching X-Men First Class yesterday. In the movies you always see Magneto stopping bullets or missiles when he is aware that people are shooting at him. But what if Magneto was just casually walking down the street to his favorite cafe when a sniper takes an accurate shot at him from 2km away? Could he still stop a bullet he wasn't aware of?

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Meatramen said:
Depends, he is aware that a lot of people hate him, so he might have a strong magnetic field around him at all times... However they could make the bullet out of something other than metal and BOOM, headshot. :)
Pretty much this. Though I think he can 'sense' metal in a way, which means that he'd sense the bullet coming at him and be able to stop it. I say that mainly based on the second movie where he 'senses' the iron in the guard's bloodstream and tears it out of him.

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
Probably. Unless he's aware that many people hate him and has a magnetic field around him at all times. You'd have to distract him with osmething other than gunfire first.

FirstPersonWinner

Apr 16, 2009
What they said. Also though on the "other than metal" bullet thing, I don't know how that would work. His helmet that he always wears is a really strong metal, so I don't know what non-metallic material could pierce that.

Tesral

Jul 19, 2011
Kapol said:
Meatramen said:
Depends, he is aware that a lot of people hate him, so he might have a strong magnetic field around him at all times... However they could make the bullet out of something other than metal and BOOM, headshot. :)
Pretty much this. Though I think he can 'sense' metal in a way, which means that he'd sense the bullet coming at him and be able to stop it. I say that mainly based on the second movie where he 'senses' the iron in the guard's bloodstream and tears it out of him.
This reminds me of that bit in Final Fantasy 8 with the worlds worst assassin, Irvine Kinneas.

I guess if he can only survive all those bullets by actively deflecting them, rather than passively tanking them like, say, Superman would, a surprise attack could work.

Feb 13, 2008
Brawndo said:
Could he still stop a bullet he wasn't aware of?
No.

Is he aware of any metallic object nearby? Especially a red hot one carrying a micro sonic boom? Almost certainly. *click* No more bullet.

Will he get REALLY pissed if he gets hit? Ho yus.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Bullet - maybe he's protected... Arrows, darts, wisely placed explosives? No, he surely isn't protected. Nuclear strike will do also :)

Dizzy_Desu

Jan 29, 2011
I was wondering about this too, specifically if Magneto could passively control fields, like how Accelerator can passively set his power to deflect bullets even when he's not paying attention. After some research though it turns out Magneto can survive a nuclear explosion and even survive being in space, so I'm sure he can handle a couple bullets.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
FirstPersonWinner said:
What they said. Also though on the "other than metal" bullet thing, I don't know how that would work. His helmet that he always wears is a really strong metal, so I don't know what non-metallic material could pierce that.
Real world material-wise? Diamond might do the trick.

OT: *shrug* No... for reasons already mentioned. Much easier to use poisoned plastic darts or something on him.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Meatramen said:
Strong enough magnetic fields are not limited to metals. Look up the levitating frog for instance. And Magneto most definitely has some physics-bending magnetic powers.

OT: I've been thinking about something similar a while ago. Namely, Jedi. And how there should be snipers trained to kill them from really far away. Because other than HK-47, noone seems to employ the tactic of 'BOOM headshot'.

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
Well, seeing as he is the 'Master of Magnetism' (as in he has control and influence over magnetic fields) that doesn't nessercarily give him a mastery over all metals (something I always found weird in the films).

Not all metals are magnetic (if I remember correctly from school, only Iron, Steel, Nickel and Cobalt are) so it's very easy to assume that not only could you shoot him with a sniper bullet, you probably could do it with most bullets (I'll give Adamantium a free pass in this because that is a fictional substance so it could very well be magnetic).

So 'Master of Magnetism' wouldn't suddenly mean you are the master of all that is metal (that power belongs to Iron Maiden) and it definately wouldn't make you immune to assassination.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Polymer crossbow/composite arrow/bolt fired from a nylon-Synthetic fiberglass composite bow (or crossbow, if you're a sissy).
The shot is silent, the yard-head is more than strong enough to go through most conventional armor (and certainly through his skull).
Plus, he wouldn't ever see it coming.

Still, I know Magneto would survive. Not because of his mutant powers, but because of an even-greater power of his: Deus Ex Machina.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I always wondered why they didn't simply make the bullet out of something else and kill him from afar, but than again, I always wondered how he could affect metals which aren't affected by magnetism.

So yeah, logic has no place at all in that movie.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Brawndo said:
But what if Magneto was just casually walking down the street to his favorite cafe when a sniper takes an accurate shot at him from 2km away?
Are these the snipers from Ghost in the Shell?

Yes, .50 calibre and larger rifles can theoretically hit stationary targets at that distance if the user is a ninja, but at that distance you can count to three very slowly in the space between the bullet leaving the barrel and impact.

The_ModeRazor said:
OT: I've been thinking about something similar a while ago. Namely, Jedi. And how there should be snipers trained to kill them from really far away. Because other than HK-47, noone seems to employ the tactic of 'BOOM headshot'.
Actually, there's a pretty good reason why that one doesn't work. The force hinges on the connection between people. If you're trying to kill a Jedi, they probably feel it (unless you're a droid).

As Atton put in KOTOR 2, the way to kill Jedi is to not to target them at all. Kill or wound people close to them, and let the force do the work for you.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
*Snip Myself*

On second thought actually, not all metals are magnetic. And the army does use depleted uranium as armor piercing bullets. And uranium is very weakly affected by magnets.
/thread