Could Bioware be pulling a Nier with the next Mass Effect?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Yeah, I wouldn't count on them doing anything too radical or original. For one; It's E.A. They make their money churning out clones of whatever makes the most money.

There's no point to a prequel, what's the point of playing as a Prothean (for example) fighting for their survival when you know they are going to lose? Setting it after ME3 means they would have to set down Shepard's gender, alignment and who he/she was supposed to end up with (romantically). And if the Mass Effect forums are any indicator, well, the fan base would be considerably reduced, which means less sales.

I'd say a "What If..." parallel universe storyline or Synthetics decide to conquer known space. Synthetics ruling the galaxy could allow them to potentially avoid the idea of having to set down Shepard's canon.

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
Adam Jensen said:
CloudAtlas said:
Yes, not allowing for different endings based on the different choices the player makes over the course of a game that values choice so highly surely was a very "stupid".
You're obviously one of those people who think that the ending made sense, so I won't bother arguing with you. I'll just say that you're 100% wrong.
You must be quite the clairvoyant if you are so sure that my opinion is "100% wrong" even before I've been explicit anywhere about my opinion.

Yes. You develop a rich universe with many unique alien species, space flight and what not, and then you make a sequel that includes none of these ingredients. That's an idea I wouldn't call "stupid" at all.
I didn't say a Mass Effect game. I said a game. One that is just set in the same universe. I just think they could do something interesting with the team of people who lead the expedition that discovered prothean ruins on Mars or the Mass Relay.[/quote]

Call it what you want, a setting in a universe but without everything that makes this universe interesting, well, that just sounds pretty stupid to me.

the hidden eagle said:
jehk said:
Infernai said:
Let's face facts, it's going to take nothing short of an absolute retcon and rewrite to satisfy most of the fanbase after what happened with the original games ending.
Disagree with this fact. A vocal minority is not the fanbase.
Really and where is this silent majority of fans that love the endings?
Well, there's quite a range of less extreme opinions between "love" and "hate", isn't there? And all that's not "hate" is part of the not-so-vocal majority.

Akratus said:
Bioware doesn't make good games anymore.
Well, I'd count the Mass Effect series towards my all time favorite games, but I guess I (and many others and all reviewers) just have bad taste then. Since, you know, they're not good games. Like, objectively bad.

jehk

Mar 5, 2012
the hidden eagle said:
ellers07 said:
the hidden eagle said:
jehk said:
Infernai said:
Let's face facts, it's going to take nothing short of an absolute retcon and rewrite to satisfy most of the fanbase after what happened with the original games ending.
(Slowly raises hand) Well, love is a strong word, but I liked them just fine (Please don't hurt me).
Hey if you love the endings that's fine by me,I just hate when people pull the vocal minority/silent majority card without any proof to back it up.
Read.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121260-The-Escapists-Game-of-the-Year-2012

Try and keep up.

Also google confirmation bias.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
jehk said:
the hidden eagle said:
ellers07 said:
the hidden eagle said:
jehk said:
Infernai said:
(Slowly raises hand) Well, love is a strong word, but I liked them just fine (Please don't hurt me).
Hey if you love the endings that's fine by me,I just hate when people pull the vocal minority/silent majority card without any proof to back it up.
Hi.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121260-The-Escapists-Game-of-the-Year-2012

Keep up.
I.....Don't see how that's proof:
1. You can still like the game and hate the ending.
2. This is one site.
3. If number 1 is untrue, then look here [http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/mass-effect-3]

I personally doubt they will go with a retcon, because Bioware doesn't give a shit about who likes or dislikes the the ending.

Actually let me rephrase that, I doubt they will go with a retcon with the fans in mind, they'll retcon anything they see fit as long as it makes things easier for them.

jehk

Mar 5, 2012
Lovely Mixture said:
I personally doubt they will go with a retcon, because Bioware doesn't give a shit about who likes or dislikes the the ending.
They cared so little they released the extended cut.

jehk

Mar 5, 2012
the hidden eagle said:
jehk said:
the hidden eagle said:
ellers07 said:
the hidden eagle said:
jehk said:
Infernai said:
Read.

Try and keep up.

Several polls mean nothing, you can't really gauge what people feel about ME3 without asking every single person who played the game about what they thought of it.Also lose the condescending attitude and let's try to have a mature discussion.
Now go read the different between proof and evidence. You have earn my condescending attitude.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
jehk said:
Lovely Mixture said:
Yeah, which only expanded on the ending that they chose.

Expansion =/= Retcon

jehk

Mar 5, 2012
Lovely Mixture said:
jehk said:
Lovely Mixture said:

Expansion =/= Retcon
Who's arguing that? Not me. They do care about the ending.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
jehk said:
Lovely Mixture said:
jehk said:
Lovely Mixture said:

Expansion =/= Retcon
You said: "They cared so little they released the extended cut." I took that as sarcasm which was saying:
"They cared enough to release the extended cut."

Ok, so they care enough to try to "formally explain" their bad ending to everyone who complained about it. That doesn't mean they care enough to actually address the problems that the ending had, the whole "choice A, B, C" thing.

They wanted to make their ending memorable, it just so happened that it was made bad in the process.

jehk

Mar 5, 2012
the hidden eagle said:
jehk said:
the hidden eagle said:
jehk said:
the hidden eagle said:
ellers07 said:
the hidden eagle said:
jehk said:
Infernai said:
Read.

Try and keep up.

Several polls mean nothing, you can't really gauge what people feel about ME3 without asking every single person who played the game about what they thought of it.Also lose the condescending attitude and let's try to have a mature discussion.
Now go read the different between proof and evidence. You have earn my condescending attitude.
I know the difference between proof and evidence and just because there are polls leaning one way or the other means you can't really call either side a majority or minority, and if you going to continue to talk down to me then we are done with this conversation.
Works for me. You could try taking my advice but whatever.

jehk

Mar 5, 2012
Lovely Mixture said:
jehk said:
Lovely Mixture said:
jehk said:
Lovely Mixture said:

Expansion =/= Retcon
You said: "They cared so little they released the extended cut." I took that as sarcasm which was saying:

Ok, so they care enough to try to "formally explain" their bad ending to everyone who complained about it. That doesn't mean they care enough to actually address the problems that the ending had, the whole "choice A, B, C" thing.

They wanted to make their ending memorable, it just so happened that it was made bad in the process.
So if they don't fix all (or any or some) of the things you think is wrong with the ending that means they don't care. Huge leap in logic.

jehk

Mar 5, 2012
Devoneaux said:
jehk said:
Lovely Mixture said:
jehk said:
Lovely Mixture said:
jehk said:
Lovely Mixture said:

Expansion =/= Retcon

So if they don't fix all (or any or some) of the things you think is wrong with the ending that means they don't care. Huge leap in logic.
Except they didn't fix anything (but that's beside the point.) No, people didn't like the ending, so instead of revising or redoing it, they took the same one and tried to make it work. That's called not listening.
More inane logic. Not making the changes you want doesn't mean they didn't listen.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
jehk said:
Lovely Mixture said:
jehk said:
Lovely Mixture said:
jehk said:
Lovely Mixture said:

Expansion =/= Retcon

1. A Man sells Man B some pants
2. The pants are uncomfortable so Man B tells Man A to fix the pants
3. In response Man A decides to give him a belt.
4. The belt solves nothing and the pants are still uncomfortable, but Man A insists that the pants are fine.

I don't need Bioware to change the ending to show that they care. I'd like them to acknowledge that their ending was poorly written. But that's just me.

jehk

Mar 5, 2012
Devoneaux said:
jehk said:
Devoneaux said:
jehk said:
Lovely Mixture said:
jehk said:
Lovely Mixture said:
jehk said:
Lovely Mixture said:

Expansion =/= Retcon

Except they didn't fix anything (but that's beside the point.) No, people didn't like the ending, so instead of revising or redoing it, they took the same one and tried to make it work. That's called not listening.
More inane logic. Not making the changes you want doesn't mean they didn't listen.
Uhh, actually yes it does. That's exactly what it means. People wanted one thing, Bioware gave them something else.
That doesn't mean they didn't listen.

I listen to everything my daughter says. That doesn't mean I do everything she asks and she doesn't always get her way.

She's only one person. BioWare is a rather large group of people.

These kinds of generalizations are silly.

Aabglov

Jul 28, 2009
In my opinion there is still a way to make a great Mass Effect game AND fix the ending at the same time: Time Travel. In Mass Effect 4 you get sent back in time by science and take control of Shepard at the beginning of Mass Effect 1. Then you go through all three games with the knowledge of what happens next. You can rewrite history and make a new ending that can be whatever you want. Not sure if that's pulling a Nier, but man it would be cool.