Could you do this for the price of world peace?

Sparky12

Nov 23, 2009
Huh, I thought that as soon as I read the OP,went through the whole thread expecting someone else to mention it,and here you are right at the end. Ninja'd as ever.

So yeah, this is almost exactly the theme of The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ones_Who_Walk_Away_from_Omelas , albeit dumbed down a little. In the OP,the question is merely "could you torture a baby for world peace," with no other qualifiers, so I'd assume there would be a majority in favour of it.
However, once you start adding those qualifiers, how far can you go before you change your mind?

Going back to the story above, it expands on the theme a bit, depicting a utopian paradise, not just world peace, but an end to famine, drought, disease et al. The catch? That a child must be kept its full life in perpetual darkness, squalor and misery, never knowing why, and no one allowed to give it so much as a kind look. And as one last qualifier,every single person living in this state must be aware of the suffering of this child.

So, who's all still up for torturing that baby?

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
it would be hard but i would if it was just a random kid and no one knew/everyone knew why i did itbecause on one hand if there is war many will die and suffer so what is one random baby for that but if no one knows why and just thinks im a sick fuck then my personal life would be ruinde and people i care for will think im a monster and im not willing to sacrafice that for world peace...
now before you say that im selfish ill say this
im selfish but if it makes you feel any better i live in israel which mean im no stranger to war so its not like a "it doesnt effect me so fuck it" thing but id prefer having a war every once in a while and having a normal life instead of everyone thinking im a sick fuck for the rest of my life...

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
Risingblade said:
I don't want to live in a world where torturing a baby brings peaces, what kind of sick twisted place would that be...
what if you made a deal with the devil or some magic stuff? it wont be the torture that brought peace but the deal...

hyplion

Apr 29, 2010
no. Torture is wrong in all forms, it is barbaric and uncivilized, any person or country committing such atrocities are the filth of this earth.

since the hypothetical situation is so far off from reality, i will stick with my morals.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Yes I would. It's a seriously basic social dilemma. Thousands of babies are tortured or neglected at any one moment, by any one person anyway. The world is not a nice place. It's filled with sickos that do it for no reason other than the kick they get out of it.

But If this scenario was real, I wouldn't be doing it for a kick, I'd do it to save 7+ Billion people. It wouldn't phase me, it wouldn't depress me to know that I've sacrificed a budding life form for the gain of trillions of other budding life forms to come.

Sure I'll feel sorry for the baby, and I'd probably do a whole annual memorial thing for it stating that 'This baby gotcha' world peace.'

And if I'm honest, If I had to chose a baby, I'd pick a handicapped baby, just to perform a proverbial euthanasia on it. As I'm incredibly pro euthanasia anyway.

If it was world peace for like... 1 day, I wouldn't kill a baby for that, because the stakes aren't high enough. 1 Week, maybe... 1 month, okay getting better... World peace for all time? Definitely.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Abandon4093 said:
hazabaza1 said:
krazykidd said:
Sure why not . Babies don't feel pain anyways . Like fish .
I seriously hope you're not being fucking serious.

OT: Probably not, no. I'm not some sick fuck who gets off on abusing children.
It's not about getting off on anything and you bloody well know that. Why even make that accusation?
My apologies if some people seem a bit too into the idea of torturing an infant.

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
World peace is impossible due to the nature of humans so unless killing the baby ends all life it couldn't bring about peace and why would I want to end all lifed?

Rumpsteak

Nov 7, 2011
No. With something like "world peace" being promised it will almost certainly turn out to be a kind of monkey's paw effect. You'll get the impossible but not in the way you wanted.

Ddgafd

Jul 11, 2009
Yes. It's one baby, and that one baby's suffering will prevent millions of other babies form suffering in the future. I won't let my own morals come in the way of world peace, I think that's just selfish. Needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few and whatnot. Oh, and the question being asked is NOT if world peace is possible. It is assumed it IS and torturing the baby will make it happen.

Captcha: Moveable feast. Captcha is into some weird shit.

ablac

Aug 4, 2009
Nope. While the result would be nice the rights of the individual cannot be ignored for the sake of the many however many there is. It might be a price worth paying but principle cannot be broken.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
game-lover said:
So seeing that thread "Save One...Save Many" reminded me of this topic I saw on another forum stemming from this youtube video down here... I have no idea how to embed these things so if you wanna watch, feel free to click it. For those who don't wanna watch, why just jump on down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WKurvkobtV0

To basically sum it up, this girl was on this other site she frequents where they sometimes get polls with serious questions. And on this day, she got the question: "Would you torture a baby for world peace?"

Her answer was yes and she gave reasons and stuff. It's really a short vid. But now I am asking you all!

Could you do it? Would you do it?

My answer by the way is no. Sorry world. I'm not gonna go against my morals and risk emotional scarring and a whole bunch of issues for you. NO DICE.
Is this how people video blog these days? Badly lit and sprawled out on your bed?

Yes, I would torture the hell out of that baby. Its one life to better the life of BILLIONS. Todays world is not looking good, we are in serious need of help. So after I force it to choke to death on its own eye balls I will erect a statue in its honor.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Short answer: yes. I would torture and innocent baby for the good of the world.

Long answer: No. I don't like world peace. World peace is A) unattainable, B) untenable, and C) would destroy us. We are a species that thrives on conflict, in a world without conflict, we would destroy ourselves.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
I would do it but I don't think you could ever get true world peace. Human's as a species are inherently individualistic and we are encouraged to do so. For world peace everyone would have to agree on every issue that there has ever been or will be. I just can't see that happening, the only way you would achieve it is by taking away people's emotions (Equilibrium) or taking their free will.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Torturing a single baby to achieve peace for 7 billion others?

Pfft, yes.

How could anyone be angry at me for doing that to a single baby when I just ended all wars, saving thousands of lives?

And the baby wouldn't be mentally traumatized, baby's tend to not remember things.

Spy_Guy

Mar 16, 2010
I'm not a fan of babies... but world peace?

How about overpopulation and stuff? How would we be able to exploit Africa for all its worth in order to maintain our nice lifestyles if they didn't spend their free time killing each other instead of developing?

So, yeah... no way!

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
idodo35 said:
Risingblade said:
I don't want to live in a world where torturing a baby brings peaces, what kind of sick twisted place would that be...
what if you made a deal with the devil or some magic stuff? it wont be the torture that brought peace but the deal...
Would you really trust a deal that involved torturing a baby? Wouldn't' that seem suspicious to you?