Could you guys fill in a quick thing for my Sociology homework? (No links required)

Sgt. Dante

Jul 30, 2008
1)No
2)N/A
3)No, but it helps
4)Within reasonable limits. (some values are definately useful, don't steal/ kill etc, but they should realise that just because their parents believe that this book, and not one of the hundreds others claiming to be "the one true word of god", is true that it should be the only place that they get their morality from.)
5)No, Kids should be allowed to have an open mind and choose whichever (if any) religion sounds like the one they belive the most. This should also probably wait until their mid-late teens.
6)Heavens no. (see what I did) If there is NOTHING else on TV i'd turn it off.
7)N/A
8)Yes, but I'm interested in in many many things.
9)Sectarian Tbh ¬.¬ So technically religious but not in a good way.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
1)Do you have a Religion?
No

2)If yes, do you regularly attend church/equivalent?
Yes - Because of my work not through choice

3)Do you think that somebody has to regularly attend church/equivalent to be 'religious'?
No

4)Do you think that Religion has a place in teaching children in terms of morality, etc?
Yes - Within reason.

5)Should children be educated on a specific religion from a young age? (E.g. prominent religion in that area, religion of family, etc)
No

6)Do you ever watch Religious television?
No

8)Have you ever taken an interest in Theism/Spirituality? (Buddhism, meditation, etc)
Yes

9)Which do you see more often where you live, Religious, or Theistic/Spiritual points of view?
Religious

Shivhappy

Sep 6, 2011
1. no
2. no
3. no
4. no
5. no
6. no
7. no
8. no
9. seems the same to me.

sensing a trend here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKI-tD0L18A

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
1. No
2. N/A
3. No
4. No
5. No
6. No
7. N/A
8. I've taken classes on religion and spirituality, but I don't practice.
9. Religious.

Funkysandwich

Contra Bassoon
Jan 15, 2010
1. No.
2. No, but I have in the past, mostly out of curiosity.
3. No.
4. Of course it does. The Bible is at the very least worth a read. Just keep an open mind and remember, not all of it is meant to be taken literally.
5. Education on any topic is valuable, so yes. Provided it's from an objective standpoint and covers the good and the bad equally.
6. No.
7. Not at all.
8. Yes
9. Spiritual, but that might just be the company I keep.

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
1)Do you have a Religion?
No

2)If yes, do you regularly attend church/equivalent?
n/a

3)Do you think that somebody has to regularly attend church/equivalent to be ?religious??
No. If you profess yourself to be of one faith and don't practise it though I don't see the point considering yourself religious and may as well consider yourself athiest or agnostic. At the end of the day though it comes down to your own perception of yourself. If you think you're religious, (or spiritual,) you are, regardless of whether you go by the book so to speak.

4)Do you think that Religion has a place in teaching children in terms of morality, etc?
Very little, if anything. The thing is religion has a number of good moral values buried in there but nothing groundbreaking. Also given that religion and religious texts have numerous contradictory or downright negative so-called moral values I believe morality is better found elsewhere.

5)Should children be educated on a specific religion from a young age? (E.g. prominent religion in that area, religion of family, etc)
I see no problem with learning about religion, it's learning to be religious I oppose. I got the latter treatment and I didn't appreciate it, even at a young age.

6)Do you ever watch Religious television?
Does watching Bill Maher harping on about religion count? If not then no.

7)If yes, how often?
n/a

8)Have you ever taken an interest in Theism/Spirituality? (Buddhism, meditation, etc)
A little yes but in the end I found I was too cynical.

9)Which do you see more often where you live, Religious, or Theistic/Spiritual points of view?
Religion plays very little part where I live. People keep their religion and their spirituality to themselves. NZ does the whole secular thing pretty well with only a few exceptions. On a wider scale I'd say religious but on a personal scale probably spiritual as one of my best friends is a bit of a space cadet.

Sam Warrior

Feb 13, 2010
1) no
2) no
3) no
4) yes
5) no
6) no
7) n/a
8) Believe in higher power
9) Theistic/spiritual probably.

Duruznik

Aug 16, 2009
1)Complicated answer, sorry: I am a cultural Jew. I am part of the Jewish nation (not Israel, but Jews as a whole), because I was born into it. According to Jewish law I am a Jew, even though I do not believe in God. So, I'm not sure what that counts as.

2)No

3)No

4)Yes

5)Yes

6)No

7)-

8)No

9)Religious

vehystrix

Nov 18, 2009
No
N/A
No
Yes
Yes
No
N/A
No
Religious

I'll elaborate, especially on 4 and 5.
4) Religion is, at its roots, a way to teach people morality. Different religions do it in different ways, and most have grown to be much more, but at it's core, it's all about morality. Teaching kids morality has to be done by examples, or parables. Why not use those that already exist in religion instead of making up new ones?
If you're concerned with having them turn into potential zealots, why not use parables from all sorts of religion to make your point. Switch out a christian one with a shinto one for example, they're just stories with a morale after all, so they should do just fine.

5) It's irresponsible NOT to educate children on the dominant religion of the area, I mean they'll come into contact with it daily and many traditions will have their roots firmly wedged into that religion. Telling children nothing about all of this is like telling them nothing about say the french revolution. They need to know how the world around them works, and part of that is the religion of those around them. Teach it in a way so that they're not expected to adopt said religion, but yes, they should indeed be taught on at least the basics of religion.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
1. ...I don't know myself, I guess no.
2. Yes, but it's not my choice to go.
3. No
4. Yes
5. No
6. No
7. N/A
8. ...Yes?
9. Religious