Could you guys fill in a quick thing for my Sociology homework? (No links required)

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
1)Do you have a Religion?
No

2)If yes, do you regularly attend church/equivalent?
N/A

3)Do you think that somebody has to regularly attend church/equivalent to be 'religious'?
No
But if your religion has ceremonies that typically require other people, you might as well just go.

4)Do you think that Religion has a place in teaching children in terms of morality, etc?
No
In the end, the morals you teach your children are really the morals you hold dear yourself, in which case you can and should do so without a Holy Book, especially when Holy Books tend to have dated morals for dated people.

5)Should children be educated on a specific religion from a young age? (E.g. prominent religion in that area, religion of family, etc)
No
Religion should be something a person decides for themselves; whether or not to have one, which one, how devout they choose to be, et cetera. When you raise a kid in a certain religion from a young age, they tend to stick with it, perhaps out of habit, or because they've internally developed that way. For example, I respect the Amish for even having a Rumspringa, but the vast majority of adolescents get baptised as opposed to leaving because they've already grown up Amish.

6)Do you ever watch Religious television?
No
If you're referring to shows where a televangelist gets up and talks about Jesus and whatnot, I don't watch Fox News.

7)If yes, how often?
N/A

8)Have you ever taken an interest in Theism/Spirituality? (Buddhism, meditation, etc)
No
Not for practicing, anyway. I was interested in learning about Buddhism for a little while. Never got around to it. I did learn enough to know that Buddhism is an atheistic religion, but that's the extent of my knowledge.

9)Which do you see more often where you live, Religious, or Theistic/Spiritual points of view?
Religious
I live in Utah. It's kind of assumed that if you live here, you're Mormon.

Canned Spam

Feb 28, 2011
1. No
2. n/a
3. No
4. No
5. No
6. No
7. n/a
8. Yes
9. Neither
hazabaza1 said:
Basically, I need to get some results for a sociology questionnaire regarding Religion and Spirituality. If I ask people around my area, I'm bound to get pretty much the same results, so I'd like a bit of variety.
I'm not too sure why you were expecting variety on this site, it would have been the last place I'd turn to.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
No- I was once, then I dropped it as irrational.

N/A

3)Do you think that somebody has to regularly attend church/equivalent to be 'religious'?
No-They must simply hold faith based beliefs central to a doctrine of spirituality.

4)Do you think that Religion has a place in teaching children in terms of morality, etc?
No-It doesn't. This is not an opinion, this is fact. Shariah law encourages excecution, stoning and the removal of hands. Christianity encourages bigotry, racism, discrimination and slavery. Judaism encourages people to believe that adultery is a mortal sin.
(Cherry picked examples, most apply to all)

5)Should children be educated on a specific religion from a young age? (E.g. prominent religion in that area, religion of family, etc)
No-It is indoctrination, and leads to confusion, that I myself has experienced. If it must be taught, it should be on the proviso that it is taught as "Faith" and not fact, and certainly not counter to Science. And they should be taught about all faiths, as a philosophical discussion. If they choose one, make sure they realise it is rather arbitrary.

Yes -It's hilarious.

7)If yes, how often?
Once a year

8)Have you ever taken an interest in Theism/Spirituality? (Buddhism, meditation, etc)
Yes

9)Which do you see more often where you live, Religious, or Theistic/Spiritual points of view?
Religious
Spiritual

The theistic spiritual parts are believed in religiously... don't understand where you're coming from.
Most people I engage with are Atheist or Christian.

Yes, my answers are overly long, but I have strong beliefs on the subject of religion, and I like to express them clearly. I've severely shortened and "politened" them here.
Hope you do well with your study.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
1 Do you have a Religion?
No

No

Yes

No

No

Yes

Religious

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
1. No
2. No
3. No
4. No
5. This will vary family to family and how strong their religion is associated with their culture.
6. No
7. No
8. Yes, although more as an interest rather than following it as a philosophy.
9. Religion is most common.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
1-4 = no
5 = yes, not necessarily at a young age, but they should be made aware of religion from an external source (religious studies in school etc)
6-8 = no
9 = neither really. its all about the science. although if i had to pick 1, i'd say religious, i live between 2 small churches, and jehovah's witnesses keep trying to come over >_>

hope it helps ^^

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
I disagree with the questions themselves. They aren't very in depth. "Does religion have a place in teaching morality to children?"

What do you mean "a place"? Obviously people ARE using religion to teach morality, but "should" they? You'd get two different answers from me.

Do I see more spirituality or religion? If it's spirituality then you're not going to see it as they usually keep it to themselves, so any record will be biased towards religion.

If you were given this specific questionaire, then nothing you can do, but if you made it yourself, I'd change it.

BringBackBuck

Apr 1, 2009
Aah, a self selected sample. The best kind of sample.

1) No
2) No
3) No
4) No
5) No
6) No
7) n/a
8)Yes
9)Religious

good luck with that.

MasterOfWorlds

Oct 1, 2010
Yes

No

No

Yes

No

No

7)If yes, how often?
Every day
N/A

Yes

Spiritual

Good luck with your assignment. I'm a sociology major, so I'm glad to help someone who's taking sociology.

EvilPicnic

Sep 9, 2009
1)Yes (although I don't 'believe')
2)No
3)Yes
4)No
5)No - religions in general, maybe, one specifically, no.
6)Yes
7)2+ years
8)Yes
9)Religion (the point made by someone above is valid, with 'spiritual' points of view being more of a personal faith, and the practice of religion by definition being demonstrative, there is a definite bias towards seeing more 'religious' people about than 'spiritual')

KeiraZodiac

Mar 25, 2009
No

No

No

Absolutely not, morality is the ability to determ right and wrong in any given situation, not an ovjective Dogma.

No, I think no-one should be allowed to join a religion until at least 18

No

7)If yes, how often?
No

Yes, and some of their philosophies are very intriguing.

Spiritual

t3h br0th3r

May 7, 2009
Yes

No

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

7)If yes, how often?
At least once a month

Yes

when not at my catholic university I see more spirituality, in it I see a lot more Religious.