Could you guys fill in a quick thing for my Sociology homework? (No links required)

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
Basically, I need to get some results for a sociology questionnaire regarding Religion and Spirituality. If I ask people around my area, I'm bound to get pretty much the same results, so I'd like a bit of variety.
You do realize that you are introducing a bias in your study as you're basing your results on a subject group composed of gamers. If you really wanted variety, you'd have to try and add an element of chance by stopping people on the street (and even then, you introduce a bias, because there's a significant difference between people who'll walk on and people who'll stop), or by randomly selecting people from the census list or something.
Anywhooooo, now that I've made a complete bore of myself, here are my answers! And good luck for your paper.

1)Do you have a Religion?
Yes
2)If yes, do you regularly attend church/equivalent?
No
3)Do you think that somebody has to regularly attend church/equivalent to be ?religious??
No
4)Do you think that Religion has a place in teaching children in terms of morality, etc?
Ouch, now there's a question without an easy answer. We do not intend to use religion to educate our child (children?) in the basic principles of morality. However, given the choice between an atheist family with no morals and a slightly religious family with a defined set of morals... I guess I'd choose the latter? Mayhap? Tough question to answer.
5)Should children be educated on a specific religion from a young age? (E.g. prominent religion in that area, religion of family, etc)
Hard question as well. I was raised that way, but don't intend to do the same. To each his own, I guess, but that's not how we view child rearing.
6)Do you ever watch Religious television?
Never
8)Have you ever taken an interest in Theism/Spirituality? (Buddhism, meditation, etc)
Yes, most definitely. Living in Southeast Asia for a few years definitely has an impact on you.
9)Which do you see more often where you live, Religious, or Theistic/Spiritual points of view?
Both. Sorry I can't give you a straight answer, but I see people from all walks of life, ranging from deeply religious to totally atheist with spiritual in between. Variety is the food of life, right?

An interesting point you could raise is not so much the impact of religion on people, but the impact people have on religion. Religion itself isn't a bad thing, it's the interpretation and liberties (or lack of) people take with it. It's not so much believing in a higher power that's loathsome, but the compulsive need to impose your beliefs on others. In my book, at least. Just my two cents.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Yes, no, not exactly, its complicated.

No

3)Do you think that somebody has to regularly attend church/equivalent to be 'religious'?
Absolutely Not

4)Do you think that Religion has a place in teaching children in terms of morality, etc?
Absolutely

5)Should children be educated on a specific religion from a young age? (E.g. prominent religion in that area, religion of family, etc)
Yes

No, not willingly.

7)If yes, how often?
Only when it happens to be on while visitng granma's house.

8)Have you ever taken an interest in Theism/Spirituality? (Buddhism, meditation, etc)
Yes

9)Which do you see more often where you live, Religious, or Theistic/Spiritual points of view?
Religious- Living in essentially what is the US bible belt.
Best of luck with your research.

Raognerrrm

Apr 2, 2011
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No, but it helps.
4. Yes
5. Yes, but all of them (if only one then no)
6. No
7. N/A
8. Yes
9. Religious

kahlzun

Sep 9, 2009

No

N/a

3)Do you think that somebody has to regularly attend church/equivalent to be ?religious??

No

No

Not neccesarily, but if part of own culture.

Oh god No

7)If yes, how often?
n/a

Yes

Spiritual

Scenttree

Feb 1, 2010
1)No

2)N/A

3)No

4)To some extent but it isn't necessary

5)No

6)No

7)N/A

8)No

9)Religious

Broax

May 17, 2010
Here you go...

No

-

No

No

No

No

7)If yes, how often?
-

Yes, a long long time ago in a galaxy far away...

Religious

Hope it helps

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I'll just simplify my answer...
No to all yes/no questions, and 'Spiritual' on the last one.

steeple

Death by tray it shall be
Dec 2, 2008
Yes
No

Yes
No

Yes
No

Yes
No

Yes
No

Yes
No

7)If yes, how often?
Every day
At least once a week
At least once a month
Once a year
Once every 2+ years

Yes
No

Religious
Spiritual
1) technically yes, but I dont feel I have any connection with it, so I'll go with a no
3) well, seeing as my view of someone who does it is that he has a spiritual connection to his religion (otherwise he would most likely eventually stop going there), I'd say yes
4) sure, it has a place, but it shouldnt be taught solely, or even mainly. we have plenty of better sources that show more dated views on humanity and morals, so why stick just to a single old one? still, the answer is yes
5) no, that just narrows their opinions on other views and religions, and stops them from finding one that they would feel would suit them, and instead force one that might not be right for them
6) no, never
8) yes, I'm interested in the concepts, but I've yet to find one that I felt would fit me and my personality
9) I'd say religious, since the country itself has a pretty official stance on the jewish religion...

ThyReaper

Feb 14, 2010
1)
No

2)
-

3)
No

4)
Definitely not.

5)
No, until they are mature enough to make decisions for themselves in regards to faith.

6)
No

7)
-

8)
Yes, I did. Key word there, did.

9)
Religious