Could you guys fill in a quick thing for my Sociology homework? (No links required)

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
1)No

2)NA

3)No

4)Yes

5)No, they should be exposed to several

6)Yes

7) once a month

8)Yes

9)Spiritual

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
1)Do you have a Religion?
Yes

2)If yes, do you regularly attend church/equivalent?
Yes

3)Do you think that somebody has to regularly attend church/equivalent to be ?religious??
Yes
Though, being religious and having a belief/faith are not necessarily the same thing. You don't have to be in a league to be a good bowler, and on the same token, membership in a league doesn't necessarily make you a good bowler.

4)Do you think that Religion has a place in teaching children in terms of morality, etc?
Yes, inside the religion.

5)Should children be educated on a specific religion from a young age? (E.g. prominent religion in that area, religion of family, etc)
Yes, inside the religion. If you mean state-funded education, then no, unless it is an academic study, as opposed to religious instruction.

6)Do you ever watch Religious television?
No

7)If yes, how often?
NA

8)Have you ever taken an interest in Theism/Spirituality? (Buddhism, meditation, etc)
Yes
Though, are we making a distinction among religion/theism/spirituality here? They aren't exactly mutually exclusive. Belief in a God or Gods is theism, building an organization around that belief is a religion (like Judaism/Catholicism). Practicing meditation, introspection, and self-denial, etc. are spiritual; building an organization around it is a religion (Buddhism). Most religions are based on or incorporate theistic beliefs and spiritual practices.

9)Which do you see more often where you live, Religious, or Theistic/Spiritual points of view?
Okay, we are making a distinction, so you are going to need to clarify what that is. Also, you left out an option like "secular/rational". Points of view are defined by many things; beliefs are a key factor, but hardly the only one. Even at that, not all beliefs come from a spiritual or religious influence.

What I see where I live is a lot of focus on helping the less fortunate and protecting nature. Maybe it comes from a religious imperative: "You will feed the poor three days per week" and "You must plant one tree every Thursday.". Perhaps it stems from the spiritual ideals of altruism and a connection with nature. It could be a result of simple economic reasoning "more people employed is less people on state assistance, more people paying taxes to pave roads, more people spending money, driving consumption, supporting businesses, employing more people, spending more money... everybody is better off." and "sustainable resources are cheaper in the long run".

It would be pretty presumptuous of me to try and quantify the average point-of-view where I live (half a million folks in my metro).

Klepa

Apr 17, 2009
1)Do you have a Religion? No

2)If yes, do you regularly attend church/equivalent? No, see above.

3)Do you think that somebody has to regularly attend church/equivalent to be ?religious?? No. If you believe in a god, you are religious. Skipping church is not going to change that.

4)Do you think that Religion has a place in teaching children in terms of morality, etc? No.

5)Should children be educated on a specific religion from a young age? They ought to learn about all of them, equally.

6)Do you ever watch Religious television? Yes.

7)If yes, how often? Once a month for 15 minutes, if there's something funny on. I don't watch a lot of TV.

8)Have you ever taken an interest in Theism/Spirituality? No.

9)Which do you see more often where you live, Religious, or Theistic/Spiritual points of view?
Religious.

ThreeWords

Feb 27, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
Did you make these questions, or were you given them?

Yes Judging by your later questions, you wouldn't call it a religion.

No

3)Do you think that somebody has to regularly attend church/equivalent to be 'religious'?
Not at all

4)Do you think that Religion has a place in teaching children in terms of morality, etc?
Yes, but it should by no means be the only source

5)Should children be educated on a specific religion from a young age?
Noone should ever have their education limited to one point of view.

Don't be ridiculous.

7)If yes, how often?
-

8)Have you ever taken an interest in Theism/Spirituality? (Buddhism, meditation, etc)
Buddhism isn't a religion?

Religion and spirituality are not mutually exclusive.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
ThreeWords said:
hazabaza1 said:
Did you make these questions, or were you given them?

Yes Judging by your later questions, you wouldn't call it a religion.

No

3)Do you think that somebody has to regularly attend church/equivalent to be 'religious'?
Not at all

Yes, but it should by no means be the only source

5)Should children be educated on a specific religion from a young age?
Noone should ever have their education limited to one point of view.

Don't be ridiculous.

7)If yes, how often?
-

Buddhism isn't a religion?

Religion and spirituality are not mutually exclusive.
Made them all myself, that's why they're pretty crappy.
And in sociology we end up calling Buddhist practices more spiritual rather than Religious, so that's why I put it there. Force of habit, I guess.

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
No

No

No

No

5)Should children be educated on a specific religion from a young age? (E.g. prominent religion in that area, religion of family, etc)
No

No

No

Spiritual

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
1)no

2)no

3)no

4)yes, when taught as an option.

5)no

6)no

7)never

8)yes

9)I live directly off of a collage campus, so 'spiritual'

Heartcafe

Feb 28, 2011
1)No
2)--
3)No
4)Yes, some stories can be used for teaching moral values.
5)No, this happened to me and it only confused me as I got older.
6)No
7)---
8)Yes
9)Religious

Leonartheinsane

Jun 20, 2011
No

No

No

No

No

No

7)If yes, how often?
N/A

No

Spiritual

DoubleTime

Apr 23, 2010
1)Yes, but it's not an "established religion," just a structured spirituality.

(I usually use this to define "religion", rather than the "religion" people use to denote denomination/sect/group/etc.

re·li·gion (noun) 1. A set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.)

2)No, since there are no organizations or temples. I do, however, regularly practice my own system of prayer and ritual, so if that counts put me down as yes.

3)No. Being religious, IMO, is belief and "inner practice" rather than physical or "outer practice."

4)No
(It can but it's better to teach from a standpoint of general humanism rather than a specific religion)

5)No
(Only exception being if it's academic and not for worship and there are other beliefs covered as well, and only in a completely neutral way)

6)No

7)N/A

8)Yes

9)Spiritual (On this I assume "religious" is meant to mean "practicing an established/organize religion" rather than just belief in a god/gods/higher power)

6urk17s

Nov 16, 2010
1)No
2)No
3)No
4)No
5)No
6)No
7)Non existing where I live.
8)No
9)Neither.
Basically where I live,no one seems to care about religion.