Could you kill a person?

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Yes. Either to save my own life or if they had done some really horrible deeds, like genocide. It'd probably require a lot of training beforehand to acclimatise to the act though.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
If I had a reason, easily. There are far worse fates than death. Not to mention that there are MANY people in my life who I would have already killed if it was not illegal.

Geekmaster

Nov 22, 2008
I'll get back to you once I've been in a situation where a lethal conflict occurs.

Noone really knows till they're actually faced with such a dilemma.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
If it maximized utility, absolutely. If killing 1 person saved 3 lives, NOT killing the person would be me committing double homicide by any measurement that matters. I wouldn't even feel guilty, until I made the conscious choice to make myself feel guilty. Because that's something you should do.

If the person I had to kill was someone I cared about though, I think I would end up being a hypocrite. I'm under no illusion that that is anything except a character flaw on my part.

::Edit:: I just saw someone point out that you don't know until you have been in that situation. Fair enough. I suspect that that's how I would react, but I have no way to know.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
I need a good reason to be motivated to do anything.

In self defence, I think I'd be perfectly capable and I think I'd be okay with it afterwards. Of course, I don't know for sure and in reality it could be entirely different.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, Justin Bieber I'm not sure. I think I'd be capable of it, I mean I think probably everyone is. But I doubt I'd be prepared to face the consequences. Even if I could, it would weigh heavily on my conscience.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Depends on whether or not my preparations to take over the world are finished.
Can't do such a thing while anyone is in a position to stop me.

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
I think a lot of people in this thread are either lying to themselves or don't comprehend killing someone. I think it's because we see people getting killed in films, TV programmes, pictures and games all the time so we think that it looks easy. The reality of course being that the vast majority of the people who answered that they could kill someone and recover, probably couldn't.

I'm not flaming anyone, I'm just saying that there is a big difference between talking about killing someone and actually doing it and I highly doubt that the majority of you who answered that you could, would be capable of killing and just living happily ever after once you have dealt with it.

hyzaku

Mar 1, 2010
All I'd need is a reason to kill someone. Self defense? Damn right I would. In a war? Yup I'd kill the enemy there no doubt. Could I end the life of a mass murderer? You bet I could. The right motivation (or mental disorders) is all anyone needs to be capable of killing. Doesn't necessarily make what you did right, but that is another debate.

BlackSaint09

Dec 9, 2010
Depends on the day,weather,person,mood,mental state im in and how badly i hate the person.
So basically no i dont think so.

Hamtier

Oct 16, 2010
Only if it saves other people's lives.
if in any other situation..maybe,but i'd be guilt stricken for life,thats for sure..

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
My grandparents' friend was in the army and killed someone, and they said he wasn't quite the same afterwards.

sonic500

Jun 30, 2011
there is only one person i would like to kill.
still i doubt i have the balls to do it so no.

Divein53

Jul 31, 2011
Sean Hollyman said:
Could you you kill a person? Could you both mentally and physically bring yourself to end a life? And if you did, would you be able to live with guilt over it, no matter what sort of person you killed?

I would never be able to do it, I wouldn't be able to live with guilt, and I deeply fear if it will have consequences in the afterlife (not trying to start religious debate).

No matter what side they're fighting for, or whether they're a good or bad person, I just wouldn't be able to do it.

Also, by 'could' I mean, could you make yourself do it? As in, WOULD you?
Do I have a particular motive or reason to do this is it in cold blood?
Otherwise I couldn't do it.