Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Brings Anti-Terrorism Back to PC and Consoles

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Mr. Gency said:
WanderingFool said:
Mr. Gency said:
WanderingFool said:
I wonder if they will add iron sights, killstreak like rewards, and perks? That'll piss off the hardcore CS fanbase (and give me endless hours of joy from watching them foam at the mouth...)
Valve adding iron sights?
I use the same vid for just occasions.

[sub]Oh, and just incase there was confusion, I was being somewhat sarcastic about the iron sights and such, but if they did add those, the fanbase bitching that would occur would amuze me.[/sub]
Indeed, though, I'd have no problem with CS having iron sights if it were just for picking off enemies from a distance.
You know, all the FPs's Ive played in recent years, I think Halo 3 and Reach are the only ones that dont have ADS, and that always throws me off. I dont have a problem with iron sights or not having iron sights, but I got so use to them, if a FPS doesnt have them, it somewhat bothers me (atleast until I get use to it, than not a problem.)

But if Valve was to include a iron sights mode, where you can play the game with Iron sights, I would be cool. If they dont have iron sights, not a problem. i never played CS:S, but I did play CS some 5 or some years ago, and I thought it was fun. So I would give this a shot.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Treblaine said:
So how will this be different from CS:S?

If this has ADS (Aim Down Sights mechanic) then I think Activision has got a serious contender, if valve plays their cards right.

COD already owed a huge debt to CS to get where it is and all it is doing at them moment it's clear people are getting fed up of all the bullshit COD brought to the formula like all the game paralysing killstreaks (also stopping power + jug gone).

EDIT: I think there is a market for a "purer" competitive FPS game that can beat COD on price.

Cut out all the dross of camping/rushing for several kills then paralysing the game with a chopper gunner or cutting the map in half with a napalm strike.

Focus on the pure gameplay, the the first person face-to-face, toe-to-toe combat.

COD has a problem with the retail-console system that means they only get about $17 for every $60 game they sell. Then they screw the community with multiple $15 map packs.

But on the XBLA model (where Microsoft takes a 30% cut) it is easy to sell a $20 game for about the same amount as a retail disc game ($14 vs $17) yet at $20 you could arguably appeal to many many more customers and sell to them far more directly.

I'd say sell this game for $24.99 and advertise it as a purer shooter than COD.

Replace killstreaks with "team buffs" that don't directly kill but DO help your team get kills, like radar, damage boosts, sentry guns. Things that emphasise teamwork.
You really love to take any chance to hate on that game, don't you?

OT: Seems pretty cool I guess. I think HL3 hopefuls should calm down about it, It's a Counterstrike game.

If it's planning on remaining pretty true to the original formula, this really shouldn't be a lot of development time, seeing how it's most likely just going to be a glorified remake. That is, unless they actually are planning on taking this seriously and are going to release a singleplayer plus new gametype modes on top of it.

Only problem, I have a hard time seeing any of the hardcore CS:S players actually giving this any of their attention. From what I've heard and seen, they hate change.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Mr. Gency said:
WanderingFool said:
I wonder if they will add iron sights, killstreak like rewards, and perks? That'll piss off the hardcore CS fanbase (and give me endless hours of joy from watching them foam at the mouth...)
Valve adding iron sights?
Probably is Lol worthy... but why?

Seriously - Other than tradition - why would it be so ridiculously wrong for Valve to use iron sights in a game?

After all these great PC exclusives extensively use iron sights:
-Red Orchestra
-Killing Floor
-Crysis + Warhead
-STALKER series
-ARMA series
-Battlefield 2
-Day of Defeat

OK, I get it, a lot of these games are edging a bit more towards the side of realism.

But Valve already own the insane beyond-real end of the spectrum with Team Fortress 2, and - to a lesser extent - Left 4 Dead.

For me personally and I think many more people there is the market for closer to realism with actually using a guns sights.

One thing that I think would be crazy would be to have iron sights like as seem in the more recent COD games... no... just no. Those sights are balanced entirely for campers and are absolutely necessary for all but point blank. Irons for extreme long range = great.

Irons for ALL THE TIME would be annoying (like giving a HUGE hifire crosshair).

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
You know, I'm not saying Valve shouldn't be allowed to make whatever kind of games they want.
I'm just saying they're sitting on a gold mine here. Half Life 3 would make big money, there is no doubt about that.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Tdc2182 said:
Treblaine said:
So how will this be different from CS:S?

If this has ADS (Aim Down Sights mechanic) then I think Activision has got a serious contender, if valve plays their cards right.

COD already owed a huge debt to CS to get where it is and all it is doing at them moment it's clear people are getting fed up of all the bullshit COD brought to the formula like all the game paralysing killstreaks (also stopping power + jug gone).

EDIT: I think there is a market for a "purer" competitive FPS game that can beat COD on price.

Cut out all the dross of camping/rushing for several kills then paralysing the game with a chopper gunner or cutting the map in half with a napalm strike.

Focus on the pure gameplay, the the first person face-to-face, toe-to-toe combat.

COD has a problem with the retail-console system that means they only get about $17 for every $60 game they sell. Then they screw the community with multiple $15 map packs.

But on the XBLA model (where Microsoft takes a 30% cut) it is easy to sell a $20 game for about the same amount as a retail disc game ($14 vs $17) yet at $20 you could arguably appeal to many many more customers and sell to them far more directly.

I'd say sell this game for $24.99 and advertise it as a purer shooter than COD.

Replace killstreaks with "team buffs" that don't directly kill but DO help your team get kills, like radar, damage boosts, sentry guns. Things that emphasise teamwork.
You really love to take any chance to hate on that game, don't you?

what makes you think that?

I suppose familiarity breeds contempt, I've played 127 hours of Black Ops and all the little things just niggle away at me. Played a lot of CS:S as well, the little things get the me there, I know an ideal game is between those two.

And yes I would like to see Valve steal the title from Activision this way for several reasons:
-Activision abuse their developers, some of the worst examples in the industry
-Activision are terrified of fundamental change, seems they have a hit by accident and want to milk it endlessly
-Valve respects and understands gaming (i.e. how premium map packs divide communities, Activision only sees easy money)
-Valve believes in PC gaming with unfaltering support
-Valve are VERY good with patches/optimisation support
-Beating them on XBLA/PSN would undermine the retailers/middle-men of retail market who in all take 75% vs DLC's 30%
-DLC model allows far more flexible pricing (i.e steam sales)

I am fed up with killstreaks. They are not fun to use, they are frustrating to live under and a chore to deal with (shoot strela, miss, reload, shoot, move on).

I like the Core of COD but just want it to be a bit purer, more refined without all this tacked on crap that frankly ruins the game. Things like chopper gunner are just gimmicks.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
I hope i'm not the only one who wants to play it on console.
(Never Played Counter-Strike before, PC can't take it.)

Come at me PC elitist, bros!

TundraWolf

Dec 6, 2008
neonsword13-ops said:

Wait, hold up. Your PC can't handle Counter-Strike? Sir, that game was released over a decade ago. If your system can't run Counter-Strike, that means only one thing: it's time to upgrade. If you can't run CS, I'm surprised you can do anything with your system.

OT: I so fervently dislike Counter-Strike, this news brings me only hate and revulsion. Where's my Half-Life 3, Gabe? Where's my Half-Life 3?!

Mr. Gency

Jan 26, 2010
neonsword13-ops said:

While the Steam, cloud, sharing... thingy, that Valve did with Portal 2 is the only thing that can make me reconsider getting it for something other that PC, some of my friends would never touch a PC game if they wanted if they could get it on consoles.

This is why I'm hoping for cross-platform multiplayer.

wax88

Sep 10, 2009
hmm... all im saying is... do we really need ANOTHER CS. i mean, Christ, they're gonna use the same engine, no? so how different is it going to be from CS:S? I have that guy who asked for CS2 to thank for.

Seriously tho, why on earth are valve working on everything EXCEPT HL3. It's like someone foretold that HL3 would bring the end of the world or something and they are trying their best to stall for time. Personally i like valve but when they announce a remake/rework of CS and mind you, when the previous engine was using the same engine, i can only wonder what they were thinking.

Knife-28

Oct 10, 2009
teh_Canape said:
you just wait and see little idiot kids seeing the Counter Strike Global Ops trailer and calling it a Call of Duty ripoff

mark my words
It's sad because it's true....

Dec 27, 2010
MapTa said:
Oh god, please let there be no cross-platform multiplayer. Please.
Ummm... Why? Why is that a bad thing? Are you really gonna pull the "console tard" card here? Because thats called being an ass (the donkey kind not the anus kind; we have to retain some class here). There as many retards who play PC games as there are console gamers, and most of the console ones won't actually know what CS is anyway.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Alright, why are hats bad? All they are is cosmetic customization, most if not all don't effect the game. So anyone thinking their bad needs to provide some actual proof to support their side. Basically, without hats, TF2 probably wouldn't be alive as we know it, definitively less players, no F2P, no weapon enhancements, cross game promotions, indie game promotions, Valve trying out mechanics. Basically, without hats / items or whatever, we really wouldn't have anything that makes TF2, TF2, and TF2 is a silly game, so, by choice, it should be silly like wearing hats.
Now, guys, stop making a fuss about Half Life 3, my worry is that the fans are going to make it the next Duke Nukem Forever, and we know how that turned out. Basically guys, their making it, its coming out, don't fixate, don't hate mail them, be patient.
And finally, CS could use a new iteration, and it has a large fan base, maybe = to Half Life's, it deserves some time in the sun.

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
so they only remake one classic map to sell the rest separately?

i need more de_chateau and de_dust2 in there to enjoy it

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
and when i though this has finally died (well it moved to TF mostly but at least thats an improvement).... you bring this. Oh well, looks like this year all developers are going a-wall, so i should have expected it.