Cowboy Bebop live-action series makes character Gren nonbinary

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States

Because of course they did.

Wasn't going to watch it anyway. Kind of lost me the moment they cast a middle-aged Asian as Spike. Spike was young (just twenty-seven) and obviously white. Good luck teaching a FORTY-EIGHT year old man how to fight like an amateur Bruce Lee.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Maybe worry about making the story more fun. And good. There are 5 episodes that are actually well done in the whole season. That’s more my concern

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
I mean, it makes sense. Albeit it was played for tragedy in the show so we'll see how that jives here.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I mean, wouldn't Gren have been nonbinary? Is this a problem?

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I mean, wouldn't Gren have been nonbinary? Is this a problem?
Definitely identified as a man. He had breasts. That's all. It was done to him. He didn't choose it or want it.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Oscars' new rules are terrible. Wouldn't surprise me if the Emmies had similar criteria.

Last edited:
Reactions: SilentPony

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Definitely identified as a man. He had breasts. That's all. It was done to him. He didn't choose it or want it.
I still don't see the issue, but I also don't remember Gren showing up in more then 2 episodes.

Also, whats the point of linking noted anti-vaxxer Bill Maher?

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Who cares about that? I didn't post the video to sub you to Bill Maher, I posted the video to show a real thing that's going on in Hollywood.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Who cares about that? I didn't post the video to sub you to Bill Maher, I posted the video to show a real thing that's going on in Hollywood.
How is that related to this topic and what is the point of him whine about Oscar bait for 6 min?

Reactions: Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
How is that related to this topic and what is the point of him whine about Oscar bait for 6 min?
Does she talk about forced inclusivity? If not, don't see the relevance.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Does she talk about forced inclusivity? If not, don't see the relevance.
Actually yes. She goes over the history of Oscar Bait and that includes that.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Actually yes. She goes over the history of Oscar Bait and that includes that.
Nice video, but it's over four years old, so it doesn't touch much on this particular recent issue.

Fine, a different source. Didn't read most of it, but pretty gross.

• At least one “lead or significant supporting actor” from an underrepresented racial or ethnic group. Or ...
  • At least 30 percent of a cast in secondary and minor roles from two underrepresented identity groups. Or ...
  • A main storyline or subject that centers on an underrepresented identity group.

Last edited:

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I still don't see the issue, but I also don't remember Gren showing up in more then 2 episodes.

Sometimes Maher is right. Sometimes he blows things out of proportion. Sometimes he’s plain wrong. This video probably right in the middle. (If it’s the one I remember, I’m at work and won’t be able to watch it for hours.) Mainly because the new ‘diversity conditions’ wouldn’t have changed any previous results. They are so stupendously lax that they may as well have not been written

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I had to look up who Gren actually was. And looking at his wikia image...yeah, okay, he's admittedly got the looks (yeah, I know I'm stereotyping).

Because of course they did.

Wasn't going to watch it anyway. Kind of lost me the moment they cast a middle-aged Asian as Spike. Spike was young (just twenty-seven) and obviously white. Good luck teaching a FORTY-EIGHT year old man how to fight like an amateur Bruce Lee.
Ooh, the horror.

However Spike might have been portrayed in the series, his ethnicity was never relevant. Of all the things that could potentially go wrong with this, the appearance of Spike's actor is, like, the last thing I'm worried about.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Maybe this is how I want to say it.

A good actor can act like a male even when they aren’t
A good actor can’t act as though they had boobs when they don’t have them

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Any of the terms I know to describe what Gren ended up being aren't considered PC. Hermaphrodite is probably the politest, although not technically accurate. "Involuntary transexual", perhaps.

I'd always had the impression during the show that Spike Speigel was some kind of Jewish-Italian, to fit his mobster background. It doesn't really matter, though. The live action show isn't going to be a one-for-one remake of the animated show.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Sometimes Maher is right. Sometimes he blows things out of proportion. Sometimes he’s plain wrong. This video probably right in the middle. (If it’s the one I remember, I’m at work and won’t be able to watch it for hours.) Mainly because the new ‘diversity conditions’ wouldn’t have changed any previous results. They are so stupendously lax that they may as well have not been written
Sometimes he's right, all the times he blows things out of proportions. Especially culture crap.

Nice video, but it's over four years old, so it doesn't touch much on this particular recent issue.

Fine, a different source. Didn't read most of it, but pretty gross.

• At least one “lead or significant supporting actor” from an underrepresented racial or ethnic group. Or ...
  • At least 30 percent of a cast in secondary and minor roles from two underrepresented identity groups. Or ...
  • A main storyline or subject that centers on an underrepresented identity group.
So what does this matter?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Most anime characters look obviously white, even when they're Japanese, so I don't know what you're basing this claim on. Spike was actually modeled after a Japanese actor, so making him asian makes perfect sense.

Anyway, Gren is non-binary. Yeah, I don't see that as being too far fetched either considering.