Cowboy Bebop live-action series makes character Gren nonbinary

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
In the video I posted, it was Ron Smoorenburg (At the time, a 23 year old Dutch Karate and Free Fighting expert when he shot "Who Am I?") who couldn't Keep up with Jackie.
It's not about keeping up, it's about being a good stuntman. Jackie had already done action scenes for 20 years while it was a first for Smoorenburg.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
It's not about keeping up, it's about being a good stuntman. Jackie had already done action scenes for 20 years while it was a first for Smoorenburg.
You might have missed out on the exchange between Ezekiel and myself. It started here, where he talked about the nationality of Spike and that the actor will be too old and that he wouldn't look good fighting.

They modeled his hair and part of his nose after him. Barely see the resemblance beyond that. I always assumed he was white because I don't believe I know any Asian characters with German/Jewish names.

Either way, too old. Won't look good fighting.
My post to him was that A.) last name means nothing when it comes to Japanese characters B.) plenty of older actors fought well C.) No human has green hair from birth and D.) No one actually knows what Spike's background is.

Ezekiel responded with this.

The actor has to do Jeet Kune Do, which is more physically demanding than what Theron and Reeves did there. I doubt Reeves could swing his legs like he did twenty years ago.
My response was that I've practiced Jeet Kune Do and that it was supposed to be a philosophy which you adapted to yourself, not a Kata driven form like Karate. You can take and you can borrow and you can leave behind to express your body as you see fit.

And then there was the clip of a martial artist who started studying at age seven who kicks like a damn dream who couldn't perform the way Jackie wanted him to. So they needed a kick stunt double for the Martial Artist.

Chan was at his prime in the eighties. Did he have any kick doubles in Police Story?

Actually, he was already 44 in Who Am I, supporting my point.
This is the post you quoted me on. This is where I pointed out that it was Ron who needed the double because he couldn't go to Jackie's pace. The meaning being that if you're not trained to fight the way that looks good on camera, you will not be able to deliver the performance required of you. Even if you have the best kicking ability I have ever seen.

So it doesn't matter the age, the previous training, or natural ability. Everyone has to be honed. And if they can't, you'll just get a stunt double like even major martial art films use.

Copacetic?

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
You might have missed out on the exchange between Ezekiel and myself. It started here, where he talked about the nationality of Spike and that the actor will be too old and that he wouldn't look good fighting.
I just thought you were messing around. Fighting ability shouldn't be problem, yeah. I dunno what I'm doing in a thread about anime anyway.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I think they updated Aladdin okay but not Lion King. But I’ve heard people say the reverse
"Updated" is subjective. There's changes made to Aladdin, but none of it is changed/'updated' enough to make it worthwhile.

But at least they changed SOMETHING. Unlike The Lion King, which, without hyperbole, is almost a shot for shot retelling of the original film. Despite the fact that Lion King could actually benefit from a remake by making it sync better with Lion King 2 (e.g. feature Zeera and Scar's loyalists in the first film). But nup, they couldn't even do that.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
"Updated" is subjective. There's changes made to Aladdin, but none of it is changed/'updated' enough to make it worthwhile.

But at least they changed SOMETHING. Unlike The Lion King, which, without hyperbole, is almost a shot for shot retelling of the original film. Despite the fact that Lion King could actually benefit from a remake by making it sync better with Lion King 2 (e.g. feature Zeera and Scar's loyalists in the first film). But nup, they couldn't even do that.
You can tell the difference particularly with Zazu. He does a bunch of old jokes. They dont land with Oliver's style of joke telling. Then there are clearly ones written with Oliver in mind and I find them much funnier. But that... just leads to unnecessary bloat. We could've done without the old jokes guys. It's fine