Crackers Cut Origin From Battlefield 3

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
HoradricNoob said:
Thank The Maker for razor1911. Keep up the good work.
Exactly what I was thinking, thank God someone was listening to our whining! Good job team Razor! Also Reloaded has the same thing out and about.

klasbo

Nov 17, 2009
GeneticallyModifiedDucks said:
GiantRedButton said:
Pointless, you can't play multiplayer with a crack and honestly, who in his right mind would want to play the single player of BF3?
If you have a valid cd key of course you can.
Try to skim the article next time
For now. How long do you think it's going to last? EA isn't going to let this stick around. Before long, people with cracks will only be able to play SP.
This was not the case for BF2. You could play a cracked version online without any problems, and if you had a valid CD key you could join punkbuster-enabled servers.
This was basically what everyone did if they either a) had scratched/lost the DVD, or b) didn't want to leave the DVD in the drive all the time.

You'd also think Valve would be on top of not letting their games be playable without steam, but they certainly aren't. All the games that "require steam", actually don't require steam at all.

Deviate said:
Razor1911 have been my personal saviours of gaming for quite a few years. They're responsible for letting me play a metric fuckton of games on systems that won't quite support the Ye Olde and have also allowed me to play the games I -bought and paid for- without being treated like a thief and a criminal by the publishers.
Also, for seeing if your rig can even handle the game in question before you buy it.
EA/DICE: Where is my demo? I didn't get to play the beta, and I have no idea if my computer can handle the game. (Recommended and minimum specs only mean so much, I have no idea if I can ever possibly get 120FPS at 1080p without trying it for myself)

Hippie freeloader edition it is then, unless someone can cough up a demo in the next month... I'm very generous.

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
one less game to buy this year... I actually don't care for an other "modern day combat" game... I had played the best (modern warfare 1, and that's it!)... there is no need for "realistic combat, it's all fantasy from this point on... still waiting for my batman to hit the shelf... and next friday... Skyrim!

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
theriddlen said:
Well, it surely works, Razor1911 is one of the most known cracking groups. However, I still don't get why people hate the Origin. I know that EA's license agreement seems a bit seedy, but this it has been this way for a long time - last time I remember was exactly the same issue with Hellgate:London - and EA never had overused their rights or invaded someone's privacy. It's there just in case, not to steal your personal data and credit card info. I use Origin, and it's quite nice, even though the interface is in dire need of some more love from engineers and designers, but hey, Steam wasn't exactly flawless when it came out either - as a matter of fact, it received much more hate, lot of it deserved.
To put it simply, Origin scans your entire computer's HDD files. If you open up something, Origin looks at it and scans at it. I've heard from people that it can interfere with video rendering files and even after removing Origin, or at least attempting to, it still remains behind and keeps scanning your files.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Abandon4093 said:
My problem with it is that I've invested so much into steam already and I really don't want to sign up to anymore money pits.

Abandon4093 said:
Why should I have to install a completely separate library for EA games because they decided to get in on the DDC 4 fucking years late?
Fair points and I can understand your views as at present theres not much reason to aside from if you want to play Battlefield 3 or (in a few weeks) NFS The Run. As more publishers come on board though we'll start to see price battles between Steam and Origin, a bit of healthy competition akin to price battles between game retail outlets.

Abandon4093 said:
Also the whole thing about them being able to refuse to allow you to reinstall games a year after your first installation kind of puts me off. Certainly doesn't put much faith in buying download only content from them.
I think this is another thing thats been a bit misunderstood (or Ive misunderstood it); this claus is simply there to cover their arses for when they want to remove older games. Rather than continually support titles, they want to be able to have the option to remove older games and not have people try and sue them.
The chances are they will rarely remove any games - any game available is potential profit - but if they were to remove a game I'd assume it'd have to be a pretty unpopular non-selling game.

Bad Cluster

Nov 22, 2009
Frehls said:
2.Now, first of all, it's ProgramData, not Program Files. ProgramData is a directory that primarily contains cached data from some of your programs.
Just to clarify, Program Data is user specific folder and its used by some software to store settings, cache and history. Firefox saves everything in that folder for example, if you don't have your privacy and cookies settings on default settings, all your recent activity will be stored in Program Data folder.

Program Files on the other hand is the folder where program installations are located, it is
rarely used to store configuration files and cache.

If you are trying to say that Origin accessing Program Data isn't such a big deal as if it was accessing Program Files so people stop confusing the two, you are wrong.
I apologize in advance If I misunderstood your intentions.

As for Origin, just create a separate user for use with Origin, and set its permissions so it only capable of accessing files essential for Origin functionality, the game you are playing, and Windows/drivers. After that just run Origin using "Run as different user" with that "special" user you just made. Only problem with this, it is a bit too much to do for an average PC user.

Michael Hirst

May 18, 2011
So once again the official product is more tedious and has less advantages than the cracked version. Good to know.

Callex

Oct 20, 2008
Frehls said:
Finally! Someone who knows what they're talking about. It's embarrassing the amount of knee-jerking there is whenever the origin topic pops up.

You can't personify a corporation. They're all out to make money, it's just some have bigger PR budgets than others...

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
Abandon4093 said:
Why should I have to install a completely separate library for EA games because they decided to get in on the DDC 4 fucking years late?
So what you're saying is that no other company (aside from Valve) from now until the end of time is allowed to go DDC (in a competitive way) from now till the end of time? What kind of sense does that make? If EA didn't pull their games from Steam Origin wouldn't be any kind of competitive with Steam. Even if it was theoretically a better service people would have no reason to switch programs since Steam works fine.

OT: This wasn't really unexpected, steam was cracked forever ago. EA will eventually figure out how to combat this and ban the people who try to play online with the crack.

Bek359

Feb 23, 2010
Twilight_guy said:
I wonder why people don't post stories about cutting games out of Steam? Oh yeah people don't have an irrational hated of Valve and their huge monopoly only EA.

Pirates being pirates. Nothing new. Not much to say beyond, saw it coming.
Steam is DRM, and a fairly pain-free version, as DRM goes. It also is not spyware. I think this explains things nicely.

Sprinal

Jan 27, 2010
Ahhh hackers/crackers You guys restore my faith in Video Games all the time.

Seriously if you look at games that do not have DRM they do not not sell.
Look at Minecraft. over 2 million purchases. What is DRM good for? Getting cracked in a week.

SO there we have it. end users beating corporations.

Dirzzit

Apr 16, 2009
Pointless, you can't play multiplayer with a crack and honestly, who in his right mind would want to play the single player of BF3?
This crack allows you to.

Vornek

Jan 25, 2011
I think it's sad that I trust these "crackers" more than I trust EA.
ah well, not getting BF3 anyways. it doesn't have the thing i loved the most about BF2. "singleplayer" vs bots.

-V

x-machina

Sep 14, 2010
I picked up Red Orchestra 2 instead because I refuse to support Origin. No regrets Red Orchestra is a great game.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
Abandon4093 said:
ZeZZZZevy said:
Abandon4093 said:
So what you're saying is that no other company (aside from Valve) from now until the end of time is allowed to go DDC (in a competitive way) from now till the end of time? What kind of sense does that make? If EA didn't pull their games from Steam Origin wouldn't be any kind of competitive with Steam. Even if it was theoretically a better service people would have no reason to switch programs since Steam works fine.
Is that what I said? Because what I could have sword I said was this.

Abandon4093 said:
My problem with it is that I've invested so much into steam already and I really don't want to sign up to anymore money pits.

Also the whole thing about them being able to refuse to allow you to reinstall games a year after your first installation kind of puts me off. Certainly doesn't put much faith in buying download only content from them.
CONTEXT. Don't quote people out of it.
What prevents you from having Steam and Origin? Last time I checked they could coexist quite nicely. My understanding of your post was that you didn't want to get Origin because Steam came first, to which I replied that doesn't make much sense, since getting Origin doesn't cut you off from Steam and having some games on a different service really isn't that much of a hassle. (Also how is another service a money pit? All it's doing is essentially splitting up where you're getting certain games from)

I didn't cut you out of context, I just shortened your post to the main point I was responding to. If I misunderstood what you said, I apologize.