Craftwork

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Steve the Pocket said:
Couldn't help but notice that the development versions of Minecraft for PC stopped right after the buyout...
What are you talking about?
I'm pretty sure FTB keeps getting more and more features.

The Rogue Wolf said:
I expect any day now to see that Unturned (developed by a 16-year-old) has been bought out for ten billion dollars.

Darth_Payn said:
Nice touch with the aiming thing on the pickaxe. The guy holding that must have terrible aim!
SomebodyNowhere said:
I am amused by the sight on the pickaxe. It reminds me of the kind of thing I'd expect to see on the TF2 steam workshop.
You mean people don't commonly put reflex sights on their pickaxes? How can you be sure you'll hit what you want to hit?
Iron sights?

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
Proverbial Jon said:
There's so much going on in that last panel; you guys literally missed nothing.

Love that the extra items slots need micro-transactions to unlock ^_^
That's what's going on with those? I thought those were .99 cent items that you could use at vending machines in the game to buy powerups. And no those items don't stack, what are you crazy?

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Can you even really say Triple A games are drastically more polished then their Indie counter parts. I mean sure when AC assassin moves correctly he looks good and fluid but with how bugged Triple AAA game releases are its like a sculpture designing a beautiful piece but when he brings it to the customer the nose and hand keeps falling off and then the customers saying "oh but look how polished it would be if they could stay attached, clearly a true artist".

EDIT: PS Wooster you missed an opportunity to have a camoed or leapord skinned pick axe.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
To me, the real commentary of this comic is not the effect that AAA has had on gaming but, rather, the stupidity of the average gamer to keep buying crappy products (i.e. the games) whose price and development costs are just not sufficient justified at all. And then they have the nerve to ***** and complain about low quality gaming (although, lately, it seems gamers just ***** and complain about anything and everything; nothing makes them happy, at all). A company hears and understands only two sounds: the creak of your wallet opening and the slap of your wallet closing. All other sounds are just noise to be ignored. Just stop buying it.

EDIT: Grammar police: "affect" => "effect" for noun form, not verb form.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
geizr said:
To me, the real commentary of this comic is not the effect that AAA has had on gaming but, rather, the stupidity of the average gamer to keep buying crappy products (i.e. the games) whose price and development costs are just not sufficient justified at all. And then they have the nerve to ***** and complain about low quality gaming (although, lately, it seems gamers just ***** and complain about anything and everything; nothing makes them happy, at all). A company hears and understands only two sounds: the creak of your wallet opening and the slap of your wallet closing. All other sounds are just noise to be ignored. Just stop buying it.
The problem is that for every one gamer that realizes that they are being screwed and stops paying, there's 100 more mindless drones that don't know or don't care that they are being screwed just coming into some disposable income that will still buy into this crap no matter what. Wallet voting accomplishes precisely jack in the face of the endless wellspring of idiots that these companies can draw upon and exploit the hell out of. Like it or not, the people that actually care about their entertainment and actually try to do something are a tiny insignificant blip on the profit margins of these companies and thus even the creak of your wallet opening and the slap of your wallet closing aren't something these companies hear.

This is what happens with an industry when the customers that actually care about it are VASTLY outnumbered by the people that don't.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
immortalfrieza said:
geizr said:
The problem is that for every one gamer that realizes that they are being screwed and stops paying, there's 100 more mindless drones that don't know or don't care that they are being screwed just coming into some disposable income that will still buy into this crap no matter what. Wallet voting accomplishes precisely jack in the face of the endless wellspring of idiots that these companies can draw upon and exploit the hell out of. Like it or not, the people that actually care about their entertainment and actually try to do something are a tiny insignificant blip on the profit margins of these companies and thus even the creak of your wallet opening and the slap of your wallet closing aren't something these companies hear.

This is what happens with an industry when the customers that actually care about it are VASTLY outnumbered by the people that don't.
And my answer to that is, then, there's no sense continuing to complain about the problem or even discuss it once one takes that fatalistic view. Just move on to the stuff that one does feel is worthwhile and leave the dross behind. Save on the blood-pressure medication.

captcha: Join the millions
Someone fantasized the possibility this thing may have some sentience. I swear, there are times it gets really damn scary.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
geizr said:
And my answer to that is, then, there's no sense continuing to complain about the problem or even discuss it once one takes that fatalistic view. Just move on to the stuff that one does feel is worthwhile and leave the dross behind. Save on the blood-pressure medication.
Maybe, if it weren't for the fact that complaining is the only thing that does anything. Whining incessantly at these companies until they finally give in and give us what we want is the only way for us to get anything out of these people. I think Jim did an episode about this very thing BTW.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
After a rather long time of not playing Minecraft, I checked out the LP Etho's Lab and saw a rather interesting mod. CrashLanding. It seems like it managed to bring back the survival aspect to Minecraft and I'm currently downloading the mod pack.
I didn't play Minecraft the "hardcore" way in years. I would enter the game, play for an hour or so, stop playing for a month or more and then play it again fro a month on a new map never actually doing anything. I hope this modpack will bring me back into the game.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
immortalfrieza said:
mindless drones... will still buy into this crap no matter what... endless wellspring of idiots...
As someone who buys games based solely on if I enjoy the gameplay and not the politics I find your contempt for me mildly amusing just for how jimmy rustled it sounds, but also really wish gamers would stop condescending to others over their choice in games. Always consider that when you make a negative statement about a broad group of people one of them might be listening.

OT: AAA practices have reached the level of Dark Souls difficulty, where the meme far outstrips the reality. At this point complaining about "microtransactions" (boy have people managed to make a big scary boogeyman out of nothing on this one) "pay2win" (OH NOZ I DIED, clearly I'm perfect and incapable of being outplayed so the game must be rigged!!!) QTEs (Ye gods I had to push a button in a videogame, I feel faint.) and "stagnation" (AKA sequels are bad unless they are to games I like) etc. is more tired and repetitive than CoD could ever be. The horse is so dead at this point you have moved on to the horse's fossilized ancestors.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
blackrave said:
Steve the Pocket said:
Couldn't help but notice that the development versions of Minecraft for PC stopped right after the buyout...
I assume that was supposed to be a joke, and it might have actually been funny if you weren't too lazy to type three words instead of just their initials. As is, I have no idea what Flaming Turtle Biscuits or Fresh Tomato Burps or Filbert's Trance Boots have to do with anything I said.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Steve the Pocket said:
blackrave said:
Steve the Pocket said:
I assume that was supposed to be a joke, and it might have actually been funny if you weren't too lazy to type three words instead of just their initials. As is, I have no idea what Flaming Turtle Biscuits or Fresh Tomato Burps or Filbert's Trance Boots have to do with anything I said.
Those who need to know, know
Those who don't need to know, don't need to know

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
major_chaos said:
immortalfrieza said:
mindless drones... will still buy into this crap no matter what... endless wellspring of idiots...
As someone who buys games based solely on if I enjoy the gameplay and not the politics I find your contempt for me mildly amusing just for how jimmy rustled it sounds, but also really wish gamers would stop condescending to others over their choice in games. Always consider that when you make a negative statement about a broad group of people one of them might be listening.
And I wish people wouldn't get offended by statements very obviously not referring to them. If you and others like you buy games solely because you enjoy the gameplay then my comment has nothing to do with you.

Besides, I don't care if the people I'm referring to don't like what I'm saying. Those people are part of the problem so I don't care at all if they get offended just because I'm saying something true.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
immortalfrieza said:
geizr said:
Maybe, if it weren't for the fact that complaining is the only thing that does anything. Whining incessantly at these companies until they finally give in and give us what we want is the only way for us to get anything out of these people. I think Jim did an episode about this very thing BTW.
Except, from what I've been seeing, the companies haven't been responding to the whining and complaining. In fact, according to all the same sources, Jim included, in many ways, the companies have been getting worse in their tactics. If you're going to whine, at least be willing to back it up with a closing of the wallet, and keep it closed. Complaining and then throwing money at the company anyway for the same mistreatment is just dysfunctionally psychotic, in my opinion.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
geizr said:
Except, from what I've been seeing, the companies haven't been responding to the whining and complaining. In fact, according to all the same sources, Jim included, in many ways, the companies have been getting worse in their tactics. If you're going to whine, at least be willing to back it up with a closing of the wallet, and keep it closed. Complaining and then throwing money at the company anyway for the same mistreatment is just dysfunctionally psychotic, in my opinion.
Again, those that keep their wallets closed are a far too tiny minority to make a difference. If bringing about change in the video game or any other industry was as simple as everybody that wants it keeping their wallet closed these terrible business practices wouldn't exist in the first place. As long as the people that don't give a damn and buy into these crappy business practices no matter what far outnumber those that do give a damn and don't, closing one's wallet wouldn't do anything.

It's complaining that actually accomplishes something these days. Those people that complain? Almost all of them do shut their wallets but as long as everybody else doesn't the complaining is going to be the only thing that's going to have any effect at all.

It's not fatalistic to point out what's actually happened and continues to happen, that's called being realistic.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
immortalfrieza said:
And I wish people wouldn't get offended by statements very obviously not referring to them. If you and others like you buy games solely because you enjoy the gameplay then my comment has nothing to do with you.
Really? Because I bought Diablo 3 and Destiny (always online), I bought Dead Space 3 and Mass Effect 3 (Microtransactions), I buy CoD and AC from time to time (Yearly sequels), I bought DLC map packs for games like Titanfall, so how exactly am I not "part of the problem"?

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
immortalfrieza said:
geizr said:
Again, those that keep their wallets closed are a far too tiny minority to make a difference. If bringing about change in the video game or any other industry was as simple as everybody that wants it keeping their wallet closed these terrible business practices wouldn't exist in the first place. As long as the people that don't give a damn and buy into these crappy business practices no matter what far outnumber those that do give a damn and don't, closing one's wallet wouldn't do anything.

It's complaining that actually accomplishes something these days. Those people that complain? Almost all of them do shut their wallets but as long as everybody else doesn't the complaining is going to be the only thing that's going to have any effect at all.

It's not fatalistic to point out what's actually happened and continues to happen, that's called being realistic.
And this is where I think we disagree. From all apparent reports that I have seen, the constant complaining and whining has only been rewarded with game companies (at least certain ones) enforcing even more dastardly tactics on gamers. It has been seen, at least in other industries, that when a product or feature no longer sells (i.e., the closing of the wallet, for whatever reason), then the company stops investing in that product or makes changes to make the product more appealing so that it will sell. For instance, Microsoft changed it's tune on certain policies and features of the Xbox One not just because there were significant complaints but because there was also a significant threat that the product simply would not sell; an overwhelmingly significant number of people simply stated, explicitly, that they were not going to buy it (i.e. wallets closed before it even released), and this did indeed manifest in the first few weeks, and even months, of sales of the Xbox One vs the PS4.

However, there is another side to this issue, in my opinion, as implied by this poster:

major_chaos said:
immortalfrieza said:
Really? Because I bought Diablo 3 and Destiny (always online), I bought Dead Space 3 and Mass Effect 3 (Microtransactions), I buy CoD and AC from time to time (Yearly sequels), I bought DLC map packs for games like Titanfall, so how exactly am I not "part of the problem"?
If this person actually enjoyed the games he purchased (which, from his prior post, I gather that he does) despite all the "features" for which some here have issues, then, in my opinion, it's all the more reason to just let it go and focus on the games one likes instead of trying to force everyone to conform to one's own vision of how the industry ought to be. People aren't necessarily idiots just because they purchase different things from us; they can have their own reasons and criteria for what they consider a worthwhile product because this is all subjective. Some aspect that is offensive to one person may not be offensive to another. That's just the nature of subjective buying decisions.

As long as something sells with sufficient significance such to attain significant profits, it will, generally, continue to be produced, despite any complaints of some subgroup of the market. It's only when there is a significant reduction or credible threat of significant reduction in sales that there is change. If you are finding yourself in the minority of people opposed to the product, then, at some point, you have to just accept that the product appeals to a larger majority whose tastes are not aligned with your own. You simply are not a member of the target audience; accept it and move on to something that does appeal to you. Of course, one should be careful that one is not cutting one's own nose off to spite their face. Sometimes the offending features are not as bad as people make them out to be (the Internet has a nasty habit of over-reactive rage, in my opinion), and one can end up missing out on a gaming experience that they might have otherwise enjoyed if only they gave the game a chance.

It's impossible to make a subjective product, like a game, that appeals to everyone. There's always going to be some group that doesn't like it and complains. If game companies made their decisions solely on the basis of complaining, they'd probably end up producing nothing at all. Also, the Internet is a notoriously bitchy medium whose constant raging is not always aligned with the true opinions and thoughts of the target audience. It's mostly noise. The only thing that gives some ground-truth about how people feel about the product is whether or not they buy it.

By the way, immortalfrieza, in defense of major_chaos, when you make a blanket, all inclusive statement, it's NOT obvious that you're not referring to them. Saying that you're not in the aftermath of being called-out on it is just being cowardly, in my opinion, in that you're not willing to stand behind your own statement.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Actually, I have a theory here. The suit is the consciousness of an evil demon from some vast and dark demonic dimension. Whenever an executive puts it on, another game series is doomed. Maybe it needs to hear the suffering of consumers to reproduce, spreading into other suits...