Craziest thing you've done in a Strategy game?

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Not sure if it counts as "crazy" but...there are two reasons I absolutely love the Spanish in Age of Empires 2. First off is that their techs make cannon galleons fire very fast. Second is their unique technology: Supremacy.

AKA the "I can murder your face with just my villagers" technology. You can guess where I'm going with that.

BigHandInSky

Apr 16, 2009
Red Alert 3, i made 50-60 so many suicide trucks, made a line to a lasso of some more, put around 70 soldiers in that, and blew up the first which created a domino effect of nuclear explosions, leading to seeing 50 people dying in that green stuff[radiation] and the rest running about on fire.XD

samurai47

Apr 2, 2010
Defeated a unit of feudal dismounted knights with a unit of peasants in Medieval II Total War, they were the most awesome peasants ever.

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
Playing Online Multiplayer in Red Alert 3, managed to stop several assaults of Apocalypse Tanks with just a Chronosphere :)

I got called a hacker. Lol.

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
Y'know Cossacks?

Y'know how the actual unit called "Cossack" is AWESOME?

Well, they were so awesome, I put on cheats to give me unlimited money and decided to make hundreds upon hundreds. It was beautiful. Then the computer crashed.

God I miss that game.

Vitor Goncalves

Mar 22, 2010
On megalomania I built a huge squad of fighters (aeroplanes) and got defeated by medieval guys throwing boiling olive oil from the defense towers of their fortress (I be damned if I know how could they manage to throw it high enough to hit the planes and how did it damage my planes).

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Played one... I don't usually play real time strategy's as I hate them but I like Sins of a solar empire.

SgtWaffles

Apr 5, 2010
In age of empires 2, I sent my villagers to cut a path in the forest all the way to the enemies base. It took forever but was quite effective.

Cornish

Mar 19, 2010
Made the complete six to eight multiplayer skirmish map my base in Red Alert 2 including walls made out of the light cannons...

realbillcosby

Apr 5, 2010
Was getting my ass handed to me in Red Alert (or RA2? Can't remember) as the Allies against a friend playing as the Soviets. My pillboxes and turrets were getting busily annihilated by his mammoth tanks etc. Decided to make a pre-emptive strike and got my GPS up and running just after I'd finished building three APC's full of engineers. As he had the majority of his forces up and at this point was starting to fuck up my base pretty solidly, he didn't expect that in mere minutes I would have unloaded two APC's worth of engineers, taken his construction yard, barracks and weapons factory, and be fucking up his base with hostile tesla coils.

of course, this barely ever works and i wouldn't recommend it, but it came off for me this once because of the allies glorious GPS.

mastermarty

Feb 13, 2010
red alert 3, when i created an army of around 500 conscripts, and then quickly discovered that they're usseles...

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Was playing Empire Total War (the Darthmod version) and I had two units of 500 guys each, the kind of guys who are basically farmers wielding this sick looking melee weapon (they're a Russian only unit). We got into a fight with the Ottoman Empire and they had about 900 (in three units) of their musket armed line infantry backed by 120 (one unit) longer range musketmen and their general with his 63 guards (one unit). An average person would worry about getting cut to pieces by musket fire before being able to get close enough. I just got desperate with the knowledge that the only way to win was getting in close combat as fast as humanly possible. The battle played out like this.
1. Enemy general rushes ahead of his men to charge into close combat
2. General engages in melee and his men don't shoot for fear of hitting him.
3. General gets slashed to bits because polearms like we had are quite effective against men on horses.
4. Enemy line is now no more then 50 yards away (enemy firing range is 110 yards).
5. Balls to the walls charge during which entire enemy line fires, thankfully the enemy ranks are deep instead of wide meaning fewer people firing).
6. As the enemy had not yet researched bayonets their men are losing and in the center of the line breaking.
7. rest of enemy line breaks.
8. Charge (though exhausted) through enemy line at 120 long range musket armed men.
9. Enemy fires through their own retreating soldiers, they hit more of their friends then me.
10. Close combat and victory though my army of 1000 is now not even 200.

KILLERTHING

Nov 13, 2009
C&C3
I had about a hundred MCVs on the rocktagon and decided to deploy them all which resulted in having to switch off the plug then on again. Dam inferior computer

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I recently bought Rome: Total War, plus it's expansion packs, for cheap through Steam. Never played it before but I got interested after seeing my housemates (who are usually more casual gamers and sports gamers anyway) playing it.

Anyway, on an early battle where I was attempting to defend a besieged Roman settlement against Gaulish troops, I ended up having my entire, extremely sizeable force, garrisoned within the city. The enemy were camped outside and refused to even come near my city, so I ended up sending out my troops on a series of raids outside the walls, across a vast open plain, and hitting them from the flanks and front in a three-pronged cavalry and infantry attack. I basically kept on hitting quickly, then retreating back to the city to regroup, then repeating. Suicide tactics in real life and if I was a general in Roman times I would never have considered such tactics, but I was pretty desperate here. Incurred heavy losses, too, but managed to beat back the Gauls and win the day. Wouldn't try it again though.

I also play a lot of Dawn of War, and on multiplayer I usually end up with teams who try Zerg rushes, or against Zerg rushers myself. I always try and come up with decent strategies and when people listen then I usually manage to help us win. Half the time though, my temmates ignore me, do their own thing, and die in Zerg rushes. So I'm left facing three armies, while trying desperately to defend my scattered firebases I've set up to hold the line, while attempting to get enough technology to build the Baneblade or whatever and lead a major offensive against the enemy. Usually I manage to hold out for quite a bit too, I'm naturally good at RTSs simply because I have such an analytical mind (it's why I'm good at RTS and FPS games but not much good at, say, sports games and whatnot). Once, I did that with the Eldar. Ended up having three enemy armies on the hunt for me, searching an entire city map (Kasyr Lutien) for me for half an hour while I was trying to hide with my teleporting Bonesinger (the only force I had left). Tried holding out so the other teams would just ragequit, but after half an hour they found me and cornered me. I couldn't teleport again because it was still charging, ended up losing. Good run though :D.

ThePostalGamer

Nov 25, 2009
Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars.
This was about two or three years ago, first time playing a CNC game since Red Alert Retaliation on the PS1. I was at a LAN party with eight people and I had no idea what I was doing, no idea what the controls were, nadda.

So what's the first thing I do? I built a Power Plant, Refinery, Barracks and pumped out shitloads of Missile Squads. I must have ended up with at least a hundred missile squads. A friend of mine was flying a Nod Carryall directly over my missile squad congregation (I believe he may have called in a transport for an Engineer or something) and I watched in awe as about three hundred missiles all went straight for the Carryall, causing it to violently explode and come crashing to the ground.

Awesome. I can't even remember anything else about the outcome of that game.

Rise of Nations: Thrones and Patriots.
Started up a Skirmish match against 1 AI in a massive map, ended up turtling and taking over just under half of the map, built the Eiffel Tower wonder for better Oil income, built about nine missile silos and nuked everything that was heavily populated in the enemy's base, eventually causing an intentional Armageddon.

I'll never get tired of doing that.

ottenni

Aug 13, 2009
Playing a random battle on Rome Total War and i ended up as Parthia, who i frankly suck as. And to make matters worse my enemy was Macedonians, pike heavy. So no calvary charges for me. Well that didn't happen, i used all my archers arrows up and lost my three units of eastern infantry, so i was left with 3 units of Persian cavalry, two of each type of Cataphract's and a unit of war elephants. So i then proceeded to break up my entire army into pairs and micro'd that crap out of the army to successfully separate and pincer charge the entire enemy army. Of course i lost all but 2 units of Cataphract's and the equivalent of one Persian Cavalry, but i got a heroic win.

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
SupCom Forged Alliance. Me and an Normal Turtle AI against two random brutal AIs. That game was truly epic. Whilst the two enemys pummeled my ally I built up my defenses all over my part of the map. Loads of T3 T2 and T1 defenses with overlapping bubble shields. Whilst the enemys sent wave after wave at my defenses I built up a navy fleet of Battleships cruisers and aircraft carriers and moved them all in formation towards their base. Battleships bombarded whilst waves and waves of my T1 bombers flooded his base. Hit hit support commanders which exploded destroying the power generators which all exxploded in a chain reaction. Killed off almost his entire base just with that then picked off his commander.

Then I just nuked his buddy with strategic missiles till his commander was all that was left. Teleported my support commanders to attack it. Big glowing wreckage. I win :) Feels good man

saejox

Mar 4, 2009
in a Red Alert Lan match i hid my conscript under a tree after losing all my units. After an hour he gave up searching. he quit and i won.