Craziest thing you've done in a Strategy game?

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
My best friend Kleatus wanted to get some practice in before a tournament for Company of Heros. so the round starts, I'm the germans and I start putting barbed wire barracades everywhere. By the time he realized what I was doing, he noticed that it formed letters, a phrase and it spanned across the level.

it said: "Hi Kleatus!"

Needless to say, I didn't exactly help him in practicing. I wasn't very good at CoH, I was much more of a Dawn of War player.

kripto

Jun 9, 2009
1) Dawn of war Dark crusade me and my mate was playing a 2vs2vs2vs2 on a custom map that came with a mod that make the gray knights a working race and the AI were all standard the game was bloody hell went on for about 2 hours this map only had 1 relic so me and my mate we made up a quick strike group of rhinos and gray knights we got the rhino there and teleported gray knights in Held the line in the middle of a map cut off from most renforcements couldnt even get builders threw the hell! but after like half an hour after repeated attacks from chaos necrons and eldar or ork i cant remember to well it was a good while ago we fell back to our base and started pushing towards the necrons base with gray knights while my mate defened there were LOADS of necrons blocking our way i had to keep selecting gray knights and slaming down on the R button to reinforce so much! but we made it in and destroyed the necrons and beat the other races and won! lost hundreds on men the bodys on the ground were insane!

2) Again dawn of war it was me and my mate again and we was doing pandrea lowlands and i was space marines and he was IG we did ok decided to bunkerdown in the middle of the map and hold there against 2 standard chaos armys for the sheer sport of hunting them down! but it turned on us and we were pushed back and almost defeated but i had built about 5 space marine spawning things (Cant remeber there name XD) and had them churn out so many we eventualy resorted to bombarding their base with arty and we won! i did lose more then 1000 ultramarines though :(

3) Company of heroes: One of my other mates and i were playing with someone else against the hardest bots there is on king of the hill we did well for the first half but we eventualy lost.. or so we thought... we moved to the very courner of a map and held there for ages! we being brits had the best defences and i being armour company moved tanks up north and caped points each time we would cap we would bunker down and defend then move up it was amazing! we toke control of the map and won it was so epic!

Daniel Armstrong

Feb 21, 2010
Rome Total War;

I played as the Greek Cities for just for the pure awesomeness of the Spartans and spent 10 game years building up entire armies of Spartans and deploying them around the world mostly near Pontus, Rome and my main cities in Sparta, this led to the two most awesome things I have ever experienced in the Total War series.

1) The Battles of Syracuse
- The Romans were mounting up a force in the north of Sicliy and where declining any diplomatic solutions, so I mounted a small scale assault on Romans (at the time they only had early infantry) and it lead to a 2000 vs 2000 siege, all in all it was costly battle this lead to the something awesome....

After the battle I only had around 1000 men left (playing on huge pop battles btw) and the Romans reinforced they besieged with around 3000 men and another 3000 from another general. That day I managed to defend the city vs 6000 men by putting Spartans in the narrow streets, I won a heroic victory and got a Historic Battle symbol on the campaign map noting the victory,

But eventually riots broke out due to the siege and I retreated back to Syracuse and then they besieged me for about 20 years, playing cat and mouse continuously to keep the city, with over 100% damage to the walls haha, in the end I out flanked the Romans by taking over Rome and splitting the whole of Rome in half.

2) 300 Reenactment

I sent 120 Spartans to reinforce a small town in the Pontus region which was under strength, got ambushed by the Pontus and then began a bloody battle to the end, my 120 got ambushed by around 1000 Pontus Eastern infantry and fought to the death sadly I only inflicted around 3/4 causalities, in the end they managed to outflank me and slaughter my men.

I still have the save too.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
While we're talking about Warhammer 40k, in Dawn of War - Soulstorm I ended up fighting in the Kaurav City map on a 3v3 battle online. It's basically a series of six industrial platforms set in canals, arranged around a central platform, with a path around it and a plateau at the top. The plateau has two entry points near the bridges that connect to the islands, with three bridges together in each case for team defensive play.

Soulstorm is notable for several things, one of which is that it brought aerial battles to the game. Each army has an aerial unit that can be used. Since the only other ways into each base, on the islands, on this map is by the bridges, it's become a standard of gameplay now to send aerial units over the water to attack from the rear while attacks take place by the bridges. The central plateau acts as a major strategic position where people who hold it can set up further firebases for quick attack and besiegement of the bridge defences.

Anyway, when battling there I usually try to fight as Eldar. I can then teleport my Bonesingers behind the enemy bases over the water, and build concealed Webway Gates right behind the enemy. Then I just build a massive army and attack from the rear, where the defences are weakest, while my allies distract the enemy with ground assaults on the base. Sadly, it only works if you control the plateau, as otherwise you're faced with nowhere to retreat to if the frontal assaults are beaten back. If you can take one platform, then it's exceptionally easy to take the others since you can build up a new firebase there and with three armies defending it's near impossible for a standard player to take an island with a frontal attack.

The pincer movement works with the Eldar on other maps too. I regularly use it on the Kasyr Lutien map too, though people are a little wiser to it there. It's also exceptionally tough to attack on that map too, except that all my opponents are fans of the Zerg rush tactic and end up besieging the bridges to our side of the map while me and my allies are still building our defenses. Seems like I'm just unlucky with teammates whenever I play that map...

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
Cake-Pie said:
Killed a tank with a pikeman in civ.

NOTHING is weirder than that.
This. Whether it's pikemen devaststing tanks, or Phalanxes annihilating battleships without a scratch, nothing beats the first Civ for strategy "WTF" weirdness.

Lets be honest, if it takes 3+ paragraphs to tell your "crazy" story, it's not very interesting.

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
In Empire at War, I fought off an invading force of three SPAMA-T divisions, two AT-ATs, five stormtrooper brigades, and four Mauler teams. I did all of this with one bunker's worth of troops.

Also, in C&C 3, I got five zone trooper squads up to heroic level and cleaned out three impossible AIs with them alone.

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
I recall this one time long ago on Starcraft. I was playing terran against a zerg player and at one of my scout/expansion bases it was completely overun with about 200 zerglings with him spouting "Kekekekekeke". Seeing his massive army approach with my team of 5 ghosts (who just left said outpost with 5 nukes ready) and promptly targetted my scout base as soon as his 'lings got there. As my good pal the heavy would say: SOOO MUUUCH BLOOOD!

I eventually nuked him out of existance but being the nice guy that I am, before he left (he still had a few building left) I nuked myself and we both spammed "KEKEKEKEKEKE".

Jun 11, 2008
My friends and I were playing a 4v4 skirmish in CoH and we had so many MG men defending the one bridge we could actually destroy armored vehicles before they got a shot off. We thought we we being stupid for spamming MGs but I guess not.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Oh, I also used to enjoy Warhammer 40k, as in the actual tabletop game. I still have my Tau army so I can get back into it, but haven't played since high school (so over 2 years now) since I can't afford more models yet. I'll play again sometime though.

Anyway, I was in a 750 point skirmish once with this guy at my old school, in a club we did each week. We were lucky enough to have a single massive table that someone had built, in two parts (one for smaller battles was a piece of wood about 4' by 2', with a massive polystyrene base built onto it - a work in progress, and for larger battles a second barren piece of wood the same size was added to one side). We were also extremely fortunate that our local Games Workshop had given us, through a friend, one of their old 4' by 4' boards from the store.

The Games Workshop board was mostly grass, with one corner cut off by a narrow and shallow river, one tiny hill in an adjacent corner, the opposite corner to the river was just grass, and then the final corner was a big hill with a narrow path leading through rocky outcrops that we classed as Difficult Terrain. The river was also Difficult Terrain and we used the odd patch of darker grass near the main hill as copses of trees, also Difficult Terrain.

So anyway, I was playing Tau and my friend was Space Marines. 750 point skirmish, my friend decided to deploy on the smaller hill corner while I deployed my troops on the large hill. His forces were mainly standard Marines with a few Terminators plus Command Squad for good measure. I deployed my forces as follows. A Crisis HQ choice Battlesuit right on top of the hill, a Broadside Battlesuit next to it (twin-linked railguns FTW), a team of Fire Warriors on the upper slopes, a Piranha skimmer at the bottom on the left flank, and a team of Kroot Carnivores plus Shaper on the right flank below the hill. Right in front of the Kroot were trees.

I managed to get the first turn, and stuck the Kroot straight into the trees, special ability meaning theydidn't have to roll for Difficult Terrain. I sent the Piranha around the left flank to cut off any assault that went around the trees, and the Fire Warriors dealt with anything else that got close. Bunkered down, my Piranha was destroyed in the first enemy turn by a lucky missile shot.

The rest of the game I literally spent having my Fire Warriors cover the left flank and having my Kroot assault into close combat from the trees, winning combat, then consolidating back into the trees where they were protected by Line Of Sight and the Difficult Terrain. Lost a few Kroot but they were responsible alone for wiping out well over half the Space Marines on the board. Ended up with a solid victory and minimal troop losses (just the Piranha and maybe five Kroot and Fire Warriors total). Considering how many times I lost when I used to play as Space Marines, that was a pretty pleasing result :D.

dthvirus

Oct 2, 2008
Four. Hundred. Zerglings.

Sure, I cheated a bit, but it was a ton of fun seeing a wave of flesh overtake an entire base.

Marv21

Jan 1, 2009
Alright to im playing Total War: Britannia as Ireland and I took about 30 turns to take back of Ireland from England, and I lead a gaint rush into the heart land above the Welsh(my allies) and took a string of 2 cities and a crappy fortress with a small garrison to slow troops down...just as I was expanding westward the Scots, whom I shall never trust to this day double crossed me and sent 2 Full armies all the bars up into my string of 2 cities in England(damn Scots!)...anyway I end up doing small skirmishes with crappy troops that buy me time to get more reinforcement at the main base...when I thought I had enough troops I launched a massive campaign against the Scots who were coming slowly into my big city biding time....it was a gaint calavary and footman march, No archers, they were better off as backup troops if the attack failed at my city.

Needless to say my big army destroyed 1 of the full armies but got decimated by the other and it jumped the gun and went straight into my base which was garrisoned with 1 calavery unit(general who was shitty as hell), 2 platoons of archers, and 2 pikemen against......3 chain mail knights...about 2 archer units, and 2 plattons of calavery and also 2 catapults!

The Seige started and I realized that their was no hope in holding out, I had to wait 3 turns for my reinforcements from across the sea who would be better going across their lines anyway while my base as a distraction and butt rape them, but alas my town had 2 years to hold out...regardless they started the actual battle map, I knew a sucidie mission would be in a order(was having feelings of Helms Deep)...they spent about 2 minutes with catapults fucking over my wall (destroying 2 peices of it) and busting the main gate...They did the massive charge after they dropped all their seige equipment and bum rushed the gate, which I had my pikemen stationed at...they started with a calavary charge, a bad idea but put a dent in my pikemen, yet their chain mail dudes were finishing the job quick and had the archers decimating my archers on the walls, with the catapults still shooting at another peice of my wall.

I said mentally fuck it! Had my general who was still unused till this point circled around them at a destroyed section of my wall and blew his horn and attacked the back of the enemy position. Mind you it was 2 pikemen(mine) and a sandwich of 3 chain mail knights, and 2 calavery (enemy forces) and my general (who was killed very quickly before they fell back)....needless to say within 20 seconds of the inital charge the entire force ran off and was broken, I nearly shit my pants when the bar went from assure loss to overwhelming victory, I had my calavary chase them down so they didn't reform, finished off their general who was trying desperately with decent results to regain his troops....from a 3:1 ratio, I have taken a heroic victory killing 2/3 of their army with 1/3 of mine lost...I nearly shit my pants and it turned the tide against the douche scots, who I have now have 4 of their castles after my reinforcements came in.

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
Red Alert 3, 1-on-1 skirmish:

early in the match, I sent a few engineers in a riptide up the side of the enemy's base and drove all the way to the opponant's MCV. They subsequently blew it up as I tried to drive it away, but if that were a real player, I think a ragequit might have occured.

The Heik

King of the Nael
Oct 12, 2008
dthvirus said:
Four. Hundred. Zerglings.

Sure, I cheated a bit, but it was a ton of fun seeing a wave of flesh overtake an entire base.
I've seen this happen, and been on the recieving end. Fortunately, I was Terran, had advanced noticeo nthe attack, and had just stocked up on Nukes. I don't think I've ever seen that many bodies blow up simultaneously.

UnusualStranger

Keep a hat handy
Jan 23, 2010
Its more entertaining than it is crazy, but...

Recently booted up good old Starcraft with some buddies. We played randoms, and I got Zerg. Being a manipulative bastard, and loving to stay informed, I built a good 10 queens, and had them constantly parasite on of my friends. At first, he had no idea, only for someone to tell him that every one of the guys with "Parasite Detected" I could see with. He proceeded to kill each of those units himself....and I then Parasited more!

Fun times....

hannan4mitch

Jan 19, 2010
Me and my friends were playing AoE 2 Conquerer's Expansion on LAN, and I foolishly chose to research instead of building units. Suffice to say, I got my ass kicked.

Willeus

Mar 12, 2010
Warcraft 3 playing as humans against a freind. From the start of the game I just used 100% of my resources to continously build sentry towers. I probably ended up having over 150 and my actual stronghold was barley visible beneath the sea of towers. Needless to say, when my friend's army came to attack me he was incredibly suprised and I managed to hold off his first few waves but, you can only do so much with 150 sentry towers and a Level 2 Uther the Lightbringer.

Emphraim

Mar 27, 2009
I was playing Third Age:Total War, a very well made mod which is in my opinion far better than Medieval 2 itself. I was playing as Rohan, and after crushing Isengard and most of the Orcs of the Misty Mountains, was sending my forces east to help Gonder fight of Mordor.

As luck would have it, my full stack made up of Theoden, his father, both who were generals with max command and traits that gave them huge hitpoint bonuses, 10 units of Rohan Riders,4 units of Eored horsearchers and 6 units of Rohirrim axemen and and swordsmen, engaged a full Mordor stack with a half stack of my Gondor allies.

I got to recreate the Battle of Pelennor Fields.