Create Folders On The Vita With New 2.10 Firmware

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Create Folders On The Vita With New 2.10 Firmware

A new firmware update hit the Vita this morning, bringing with it the ability to sort your handheld's software into folders.

If you fire up your Vita and visit the System Update option, your handheld will now pull down the latest firmware for the gaming machine, Firmware 2.10. This update includes a number of bug fixes and changes to the device's functionality, but most notably it allows users to finally store their games and utilities in customizable folders.

Have a look an abridged list of the changes, courtesy Sony:

Create folders to more easily manage your favorite application icons on the home screen, with up to 10 icons in each folder and a maximum of 100 on the home screen (including icons inside the folders).

Verify which PS Vita card you are using by looking at the home screen's info bar. You can also save the layout of your home screen icons in the memory card.

Added video support allows you to play videos within the browser (memory card required; some videos are not supported).

New email enhancements allows you to view HTML messages, add multiple email addresses to your contacts, and easily search your messages using the new search feature.

PlayStation Plus members will be able to automatically update PlayStation Mobile format software and upload game save data onto online storage using 3G connection.

New "Mute Automatically" option will mute your PS Vita speakers when your headset is unplugged and pause your music when using the music app.

While those are all potentially useful features - I have to assume that someone uses the Vita to check email - the addition of folders is a surprisingly huge deal for the Vita. From its launch until yesterday Vita owners were stuck staring at the cluttered operating system the gadget relies on that would defult to dropping game and utility icons any- and everywhere. Once you had more than two games this made navigating the Vita's main screens an undue hassle, especially given how many of those icons will go almost entirely unused. Now we can toss all those extraneous programs into a folder tucked out of the way, and keep all of our games organized in one spot right at the top of the Vita's display.

Now if only Sony would actually offer the technically impressive handheld some support in the way of actual games for the system, it might be onto something with the Vita. Then again, with the company's efforts now firmly focused on the imminent PlayStation 4, the smart money is on the Vita quietly dying as Nintendo continues to dominate the handheld space, both for lack of competition and because its potential competitors refuse to learn from the mistakes of the past.

Source: PlayStation.blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/04/09/ps-vita-system-software-update-v-2-10/]

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Earnest Cavalli said:
Added video support allows you to play videos within the browser (memory card required; some videos are not supported).

If this means we can finally p0rn on it then its officially better than the 3DS

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
They seriously need to work on getting games that interest people on this system instead of letting it quietly die. I actually like the Vita a lot more than the 3DS just because it actually got the control scheme and hardware display down right, unlike the original 3ds that has a screen space which makes one squint their eyes.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
That's great, I've been really wanting a better way to organize my stuff. Now if they start putting more games on the thing that are worth a damn I'll be set.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Colt47 said:
They seriously need to work on getting games that interest people on this system instead of letting it quietly die. I actually like the Vita a lot more than the 3DS just because it actually got the control scheme and hardware display down right, unlike the original 3ds that has a screen space which makes one squint their eyes.
They announced a lot of indie games to the platform in recent weeks. It seems like is it starting to pick up steam in the developer community. :D

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
PoolCleaningRobot said:
Earnest Cavalli said:

If this means we can finally p0rn on it then its officially better than the 3DS
perhaps, but can they view it in 3d?

Jul 22, 2009
This is definitely worthwhile, I didn't ever quite understand why I couldn't move around the built in apps.

Bought a Vita more or less entirely for Persona 4 and I haven't looked back.

I do hope Sony get round to supporting the console better.

So far the PS+ games are getting me through but Persona's the only one I paid money for.

Gotta say though, updating downloadable PSP games so they also work on the Vita is definitely a smart move, finally I can jump into the Monster Hunter fandom headfirst.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
So... basically they added a feature that has been available to computers ever since DOS was invented, and consider this a big deal?

(yeah I know that's not exactly how it is with the Vita, but that's what it sounds like)

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
I'm excited to have the folders: after the Final Fantasy sale a few months back I need to de-clutter my panels or whatever they call it.

I also disagree with the Vita going by the sideline comment. During the PS4 conference they made a point to talk about how the Vita would interact with the PS4. Many have speculated that the Vita was never intended for the PS3, more for a as-yet-to-be-heard-of next gen console, and here we have it. Plus, the PSP never really died in Japan even if it was a bit of a paper-weight. I'm still holding on to faith with the Vita.

lifeat24fps

Mar 14, 2013
Korten12 said:
Colt47 said:
They announced a lot of indie games to the platform in recent weeks. It seems like is it starting to pick up steam in the developer community. :D
I am already penciling in a Terraria purchase because playing it on the Vita adds portability and a good control scheme. :D

kazriko

Apr 6, 2009
This "Vita has no games" malarkey is getting really, really old. The system gets piles of games every month. It's doing quite well for a system that is just over a year old. For the first year I had it, it was the #1 system that I played for the entire year. Between my Vita, PS1 and PSP titles I've already purchased, I could be playing this thing for 2 more years and not run out of new things.

Lokoloshe

Nov 8, 2010
kazriko said:
This "Vita has no games" malarkey is getting really, really old. The system gets piles of games every month. It's doing quite well for a system that is just over a year old. For the first year I had it, it was the #1 system that I played for the entire year. Between my Vita, PS1 and PSP titles I've already purchased, I could be playing this thing for 2 more years and not run out of new things.
I'm currently playing Disgaea 3 thanks to PS+. My Vita backlog right now is sitting at 10 games including PSP and PS1 games and Soul Sacrifice (Apr 30) and Muramasa Rebirth (Jun 25) are on the way. Don't really think I'll be running out of things to play anytime soon.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
lifeat24fps said:
I am already penciling in a Terraria purchase because playing it on the Vita adds portability and a good control scheme. :D
Don't forget to check out Spelunky, itt's coming out latter this year too.
So excited for both! :D

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
Now if only Sony would actually offer the technically impressive handheld some support in the way of actual games for the system, it might be onto something with the Vita. Then again, with the company's efforts now firmly focused on the imminent PlayStation 4, the smart money is on the Vita quietly dying as Nintendo continues to dominate the handheld space, both for lack of competition and because its potential competitors refuse to learn from the mistakes of the past.
Well shit. I guess I couldn't hear the Vita dying over all these games I've been playing on the system. Or do P4G, Atelier Totori+ and Meruru+, Zero Escape, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, the dozens of Vita games I own plus all these hundreds of PS1 classics and PSP games I never got around to before not count for some reason? Not good enough for you?

I'm so glad you know what you're talking about.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
kazriko said:
Its kinda funny because I've pretty much only been playing my vita for the last 2 months. I seriously have more games for it than I have time to play. I actually didn't buy a vita game for it for the first 6 or so months that I had it which was partly because I'm cheap but I used it for a media device to watch movies and tv cause that OLED screen has amazing contrast. Then one day I just noticed it had these games so I bought a bunch. Not to mention all the indi games coming to it that you normally only find on steam like Machinarium

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Colt47 said:
You should read the Playstation blog and see how it's actually got a few good games coming to it (e.g. Terraria, Lone Survivor, Spelunky) and it's a proper handheld console that allows anyone to develop for it using Playstation Mobile, not to mention the upcoming Unity support.

Sony aren't simply letting it die

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Megacherv said:
Colt47 said:
You should read the Playstation blog and see how it's actually got a few good games coming to it (e.g. Terraria, Lone Survivor, Spelunky) and it's a proper handheld console that allows anyone to develop for it using Playstation Mobile, not to mention the upcoming Unity support.

Sony aren't simply letting it die
The ones I'm looking forward to right now are Muramasa and Soul Sacrifice (because of Inafune, enough said.) Also they got more Ys series games coming for it as well.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
kazriko said:
No one counts the older games, I have no idea why since I've been playing a lot of Grandia on my Vita among other things. Let's not forget the neat cross-buy thing they did which is quite 'generous' for a company especially considering what's been going on these days.
The no games argument holds little water, I looked at both the PSV and 3DS when deciding I looked over the games because that's what matter, PSV one out for me. Is it better? Ehhh....That's subject to opinion.

CyberAkuma

Elite Member
Nov 27, 2007
So basically they are adding what they laughably call "features" to the PS Vita that has been around on the mobile fucking market for FUCKING DECADES.

State of the art handheld device - can't create fucking folders until 1 year after release?!

I was able to create folders on my Android mobile device back in 2005 with an external app and even my iPod had video playback back in the same era.

Search my messages? G-mail could do that on my phone since the fucking launch of Android.

The features added to the Vita is nothing but a severe insult but most of all; it displays what a sad state the Vita is at with even Sony ignoring the handheld device by only bothering adding the most trivial features to it.

SONY, GET YOUR FUCKING ACT TOGETHER.