Creating Pokemon Is No Cakewalk

JSkunk22

May 20, 2009
I still won't excuse them for making a pokemon that is just an ice cream cone with a face. I think it even evolves two times, no doubt giving extra flavors.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
kparmenter said:
I think the worst part is their inability to come up with decent names... That would almost make up for the lack of creativity - or over-creativity - in the design of the pokemon themselves.
Most of them are rather complex and clever...

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Sporky111 said:
Oh, cry me a river. It must be difficult making essentially the same game every few years.

Some developers have to make new IP, or even full 3D graphics and animations. But no, you go ahead and try and tell us how difficult it is to squeeze out these shitty characters and their animations.
They have a few good ones, you got to admit Spork, but a few does not justifie the whole lot, Ill admit that.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
While I understand that it is hard work coming up with cool, interesting ideas for Pokemon; I cannot approve the direction the designs for the creatures has been going.

*shakes head*

Please, please don't scare me away Nintendo!

Rakkana

Nov 17, 2009
I really wanna see these idea's they've "weeded out."

And they never denied a dart board was involved!

knhirt

Nov 9, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Pokabu, a fire-pig, was designed around the fact that pigs roll in mud. It shoots fire out of its snout to cool off instead of getting all dirty.
fire out of its snout to cool off
fire to cool off
The reasoning for a lot of Pokemon and their attributes has always baffled me.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Well its good that some of my favorites have made it there (Thank you Gamefreak for making Empoleon possible)

The sad part is when people ***** and moan about how the new ones are "Overdesigned" or just shitty looking

There are some fuck ups but theres been at least 10 in each generation. (Yes, even the first one)

El Gostro

Aug 25, 2009
I still see the old and new designs and redesigns as simplistic exercises of antro/zoo-morphication cartoonists have been doing for years,particularly in Japan (giant samurai Robots anyone?)

PS: And I do like Pokemon,it got me laid a few times unbelievably enough...

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Could be worth buying a new DS for it (the one i have is orignal, and looks that age too). I loved the series for a long time scince my parents bought me and my sister pokemon blue and yellow (respectively). In my mind HG and SS were a bit of a flop because the game retained an issue of high level training areas. This paired with a certain gimmick toy thats supposed to do the job the game doesnt do in the first place killed its long term playability. When Black and White eventually does come to my local game shop, ill certainly buy it.

Also on a side note Black and White are going to be the last pokemon games on the DS, given that the 3DS is coming out by 2013 and the next pokemon game is probably going to be the 3rd gen reboot (2014 10 years after the 3rd gen games)

TheGameXXVII

Feb 1, 2010
why does every thread about Pokemon turn into a big shit fling-a-thon?

on topic: i guess depending on which Pokemon you are designing, you have be sure you have picked the right look for it. for example, you have to make sure the starters of the game look good, since everyone uses them up until the final evolution, so they'd better look good so that people will want them, which is why i'm disappointed with the Black/White starters, specifically Wotter's final evo, it went from awesome Samurai-Otter to derpy-derpy sea lion, which looks nothing like it's pre-evo. it's as if they changed their mind half way through designing it. up until i saw it, i was gonna choose Wotter, now i'm choosing Boarbeque when i get White.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
While I do respect the hard work and the process they have to go through on making new pokemons but I must question certain decision in that group meeting. For all we know they could of made some really cool pokemons but got rid of those in favour for other (good and bad) pokemons we know at the present time. Actually in that case I would love for them to release a scrap book of the pokemons that didn't made it to the finals.

De-Moti

Oct 31, 2010
And to all the people who say "Gen 1 was totally the best!"
Bull fucking shit.

TheGameXXVII

Feb 1, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
Actually in that case I would love for them to release a scrap book of the pokemons that didn't made it to the finals.
that would be awesome, i would probably buy that, or at least look at some of the Pokemon included in it on the internet.

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
People that disapprove of the newer, 5th generation Pokemon have no imagination and/or are being a bit hypocritical. Pokemon like Voltorb/Electrode are fine but Gear/Gigear/Gigigear and the ice cream are unoriginal? A lot of thought definitely goes into all the Pokemon, each and every single one having an elaborate reason behind their designs/name. Especially the 5th generation, which has examples of brilliance in most of the designs.

And to the people saying the games are the same, what did you expect? Nearly every franchise, ever, sticks to a formula. Once it gets popular, the creators will naturally be very hesitant to branch out. Gamefreak already took a huge risk in altering Black and White so much. Besides, the spin off games (Ranger, Mystery Dungeon) fill the purpose of experimenting with new gameplay.
Don't complain about the formula when it can change so much. Metroid was originally a side-to-side platformer, and when the Prime games were released they jumped into FPS. The games were still successful, but they were incredibly different. "Other M" came out and changed things up again (mostly fleshing out story) but is incredibly polarizing to the fandom. Some like it and others do not.

TL;DR Pokemon always, always have a good reason for design/name, and the designs that made it were considered to be the good ones. Also, the formula will stay the same with spin offs going to new places.

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
PayJ567 said:
What a fucking load of motherfucking horse shit. If these cunts think sitting there drawing a load of bullocks is hard fucking work they are fucking living in a dream world.

Fucking morons, oh man I have to design a load of colourful animals and get paid considerably well to do it. Sometimes the air conditioning hums too loudly and I get cramps in my hand.

Fuck off you spoilt little wankers.
It's almost like he's speaking English.

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
PayJ567 said:
Twilight.falls said:
PayJ567 said:
What a fucking load of motherfucking horse shit. If these cunts think sitting there drawing a load of bullocks is hard fucking work they are fucking living in a dream world.

Fucking morons, oh man I have to design a load of colourful animals and get paid considerably well to do it. Sometimes the air conditioning hums too loudly and I get cramps in my hand.

Fuck off you spoilt little wankers.
It's almost like he's speaking English.
Fuck is an English word that is generally considered profane, that in its most literal meaning refers to the act of sexual intercourse. ...

Testicles; Expression of frustration

Wanker is a pejorative term of English origin, common in Commonwealth and ex-Commonwealth countries, including Canada, Britain, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa. It initially referred to an but has since become a general insult. It is synonymous with tosser.

Oh... Wait a minute I was speaking English. Not almost so why don't you take that attitude somewhere else.
Now now, I was merely exaggerating. I simply find the use of profanity as every other word rather hilarious, and didn't mean to come across as... arrogant. Sarcasm doesn't translate very well over the internet.
I've met far too many people who actually speak like that, but it's apparent that you are not one of them. Judging by your post count you're a pretty prolific poster.