Creating Pokemon Is No Cakewalk

nosafetynets

Sep 27, 2010
Thorvan said:
kparmenter said:
I think the worst part is their inability to come up with decent names... That would almost make up for the lack of creativity - or over-creativity - in the design of the pokemon themselves.
To be fair, that's more of the localization team's problem. They need to get the folks who did Mario and Luigi on that, ASAP.
Agreed!

Adam Galli

Nov 26, 2010
pokemon was cool when i was a kid. only 151 one of the little bastards. now there are too many. IMHO pokemon needs to retire.

La Barata

Apr 13, 2010
You're telling me that with this giant staff of poke creators they still managed to come up with the new pokemon starters? Y'know, the ones that make Jar Jar Binks look like a credible character?

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
Huh. I'm surprised there ISN'T a pokemon that looks like a cake.

I mean, they got one that looks like ice cream.

Matter of time I guess.

I still love my kung-fu fire monkey.

AC Drawings

Dec 22, 2010
I imagine all this fallout is due to different standards and aesthetic appeals Nihon has from the rest of the world. I'm not a huge fan of the Gen-5 designs either but considering that somewhere along the line they planned all these things and tried to weed out bad ones, most likely what seems like sucky design choice to us is a good idea to them and they're not exactly catering exclusively to a western audience, they're using their own standards.

I just this conversation could go on without all the spite and vitriol and we could articulate our opinions reasonably. I mean they're just designs and it's not like there's anything we can do about it unless we dedicate all our time and energies into learning Japanese, becoming designers and trying to strong-arm our way into the Game Freak design studios and have our ideas heard and considering Nihon is a freaky tight-knit anti-immigrant nation that would rather die than have outsiders help, I doubt that'll ever happen in the near future.

Samechiel

Nov 4, 2009
Oh, cry me a river. It must be difficult making essentially the same game every few years.
Aww, beat me to it.

And to the people saying the games are the same, what did you expect?
Sadly, it has nothing to do with "sticking to a formula." It's copy-pasting one game over and over, altering minor elements here and there and calling the sloppy paint job a new game, and to be frank I'd be disgusted with any company that did it. Gamefreak has done it 19 times. 20, if you want to count the inevitable Pokemon Gray.

Draven Canter

Aug 1, 2011
maybe instead of gray itll be pokemon rainbow with a special rare item event distrubited that when held by kyurem with reshiram and zekrom in the party will turn change them to their original form before they split in half theyll have their final signature attacks then one called rainbow beam and when the item is removed if u dont have space for them to become three pokemon again the pokemon that cant be in the party will be chosen by u and put in the pc box