Creepiest Moments You've Had... in Non-Horror Games

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Mister Spaceman said:
I like games like Journey, Stanley Parable and Walking Dead. A game can come in any shape or form, far as I'm concerned, and bonus points if the writing is top notch.
Then chances are decent at least that you'll like The Longest Journey and Dreamfall, look em up. Both are available both on Steam as well as GOG.com. Enjoy!

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
Well rarely. I hardly play non horror anymore. Games are horror in some way or another. 3:

Well I suppose Borderlands 2.

The mission to kill Fleshstick. After defending the generator is over and done with. Tina electrocutes Fleshstick. Right after that, she says in a very hushed and serious tone, "Best tea party ever." It was so out of character it creeped me out. @~@

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
Mister Spaceman said:
I like games like Journey, Stanley Parable and Walking Dead. A game can come in any shape or form, far as I'm concerned, and bonus points if the writing is top notch.
We would get along fine. Haven't tried The Stanley Parable, but what little I've heard sounded intriguing.

On topic, I remembered another one.
When you first see the outline of the sea serpent in Shadow of the Colossus.
Yeah I wasn't getting in that water anytime soon.

Miss Layton

Feb 18, 2013
Mikejames said:
Mister Spaceman said:
We would get along fine. Haven't tried The Stanley Parable, but what little I've heard sounded intriguing.

On topic, I remembered another one.
When you first see the outline of the sea serpent in Shadow of the Colossus.
Yeah I wasn't getting in that water anytime soon.
I. LOVE. Shadow of the Colossus.

That game gives me chills, a good cry, a feeling of triumph and overall a fantastic time every time I play it.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Fallout 3, this building

The Dunwich Building

Seriously. This place gives me the chills:

And the basement OH GOD THE BASEMENT

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Deus Ex: HR
The Picus Building.
Just has a lovely air of unease that makes you think something is bound to happen.

And of course, ladies and gents and those in between....
Let no "Creepy Game" thread ever go ungraced by this.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
The Morning Suit Man said:
piinyouri said:
Excuse me, fine sir, do you mind perhaps expunging some knowledge as what I'm looking at, if you'd be so kind?
That is a patient from the infamous Shalebridge Cradle level of Thief:Deadly Shadows.

The level is setup as an orphanage and asylum all in one and those are the patients, or perhaps spirts of past patients/inmates.

BytByte

Nov 26, 2009
Although it is a dark game, it's not necessarily horror, so I would say the first part of the Tower of Latria in Demon's Souls. Dark level, crazy people both dead and alive popping out of iron maidens, those squid... things, and the lady merchant's ominous singing made me afraid to go to sleep that night.

Dark souls was considerably less scary, but the Great Hollow, while not scary, definitely had an air of uncertainty and dread around it, possibly because the entire journey down it was more or less pointless.

Nov 28, 2007
Not sure if this counts, as the sequences were designed to be creepy, but the Scarecrow segments of Batman: Arkham Asylum were among the freakiest moments I've played in any game.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Lilani said:
Yes! I'm the first to post it!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That was scary bro!

Playing tf2 online with only one other person can scare me. "when well they kill me? What class should I take?

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Not so much creepy but ominous, but the fighting the last colossus in Shadow of The Colossus. The stormy atmosphere and then seeing him on the horizon just filled me with such utter dread. And then he starts shooting lightning bolts that hit like tank shells out of his hand.

Dishonored has it's moments too. Hordes of rats always worry me and weepers are just as creepy as zombies, especially considering the connection the plague has to a certain entity.

The disabled collector ship in ME2 has a certain creep factor to it, as does the dead reaper.

Finally, just about any XCOM: Enemy Unknown mission, but the panic missions in particular. Fucking Chryssalids creep me right the fuck out.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
The Banshees in Mass Effect 3. Holy fuck what are these things and how did they get in my Mass Effect?

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
One of the few things I didn't like about Soulbringer was what happens when you close the game down. When you're done playing and hit "quit game," you're treated to the sound of a man screaming as he falls to his death and splatters on some hard surface. It made me kind of glad my first copy had a game-crashing bug whenever you read a certain scroll, since it meant I didn't have to listen to that.

Also, getting eaten by the spider in Simant. If you've played it, you know what I mean. I'm not even arachnophobic, far from it, but dear sweet rollerblade Jesus did getting that image frighten me.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
Would the Dead Space series count?
I know, I know, people still have this misconception of it being "survival horror", but really it is an action-thriller at best with horror elements.
Anyways, the creepiest parts of those games (at least for me) have never been the necromorphs or the jump-scares, but just stopping and looking around in some of the areas. Reading the desperate messages scribbled on the walls, hearing the audio-messages, seeing the blood-stains in cradles and children's bedrooms and just generally knowing that wherever you go, horrible things happened to perfectly ordinary people there. It's not exactly scary in the strictest definition of the word, but it is really oppressive and solemn in a game that is otherwise all about the overblown jump-scares and finding increasingly elaborate ways to dismember your enemies.

For the same reason, I also name every Vault in Fallout 3 and NV. They are not that creepy by themselves, but once you piece together how the society inside collapsed (and in many cases was intentionally screwed over by Vault-Tec) they still become haunting and depressing.

Rufio's Ghost

Oct 2, 2012
Lucian Lachance yelling "NO" at me during the Dark Brotherhood quest line in Oblivion. I was so frightened that I jumped.
Scary dude to disappoint.

pure.Wasted

Oct 12, 2011
In Dishonored, there's a mission into an outwardly normal-looking mansion owned by one Doctor Galvani. When you get inside and investigate, you realize the guy is studying the plague that's affecting the city. He's doing this by cutting up rats and leaving their bloody remains all over his laboratory. He also has a bunch of secret passageways. One of these secret rooms is colored very, very red. Blood red. Just cuz.

Dishonored is normally unsettling enough that I don't think it should qualify for this thread, except...

If you've been paying attention to all the little background stuff like guards' chatter and the propaganda posters, you should already have a sneaking suspicion that there be zombies in Dishonored. This really seems like the place you're going to meet them. And then NOTHING happens. The house is just an eerie house, but there are no encounters with anyone past a few guards at the entrance.