Creepiest Moments You've Had... in Non-Horror Games

Ninjat_126

Nov 19, 2010
GabeZhul said:
For the same reason, I also name every Vault in Fallout 3 and NV. They are not that creepy by themselves, but once you piece together how the society inside collapsed (and in many cases was intentionally screwed over by Vault-Tec) they still become haunting and depressing.
Oh yes. But VATS and the stupid partner AI took that down a bit. A lot.

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
The majority of playing through TLoZ: Majora's Mask, I was incredibly confused and creeped out, I was only 8 back then. =V

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Lilani said:
Yes! I'm the first to post it!

I always thought that scene was actually great
Thing is they were FORCING themselves to laugh- anyone sounds horrible when forcing laugh
in ~50s of that video they bursted in actual laughter (compare it to previous moments)

OT: FO:NV- vault 11
The WTF moment is strong in that one
And events that took part in that vault are truly horrible :(

WouldYouKindly said:
Finally, just about any XCOM: Enemy Unknown mission, but the panic missions in particular. Fucking Chryssalids creep me right the fuck out.
Pfff...
Try original X-Com:UFO defense
Later in game (when chryssalids are present)...
during terror mission...
at night.

At first you don't know where is anyone
Then you hear screams from various directions
Suddenly shots are being fired from nowhere
And then zombies come...
And that music...
THAT MUSIC!!!

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Terminate421 said:
Fallout 3, this building

The Dunwich Building

Seriously. This place gives me the chills:

And the basement OH GOD THE BASEMENT
Wow, don't remember this building. But FO3 did have some chilling moments. The vault leaking gas that drove the inhabitants insane, the Garry clone vault, Andale, Point Lookout, Tranquility Lane. Is the Dunwich building really more creepier than those places? Curious and would like to know. :p

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
The graphics in LA Noir make my skin crawl. I absolutely detest motion capture is games & rotoscoped animation.

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
Hitman: Contracts

Those who have played it likely know it well. The Traditions Of The Trade level lets you free-roam an entire hotel. One wing is blocked off with police tape and has creepier lighting effects than the rest of the hotel because a murder was recently committed in the corner suite (not by you, incidentally). You can check out the murder scene, see the blood stains, see the body (if I remember correctly, but it's been awhile), and even swipe the murder weapon to use as your own. However, what makes you really shit bricks is if you look into the bathroom mirror long enough, the victim's ghost flashes behind you, in the shower.

Totally awesome, unnecessary, unannounced easter-egg; terrifying if you're playing in the dark, which really, you should be.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
Mister Spaceman said:
I. LOVE. Shadow of the Colossus.

That game gives me chills, a good cry, a feeling of triumph and overall a fantastic time every time I play it.
Twas one of a kind.

Witty Name Here said:
Honestly, there was no build up to the thing; then the story seems to go from you trying to overthrow your tyrannical brother to stopping God Damned Nyarlathotep.
I actually kind of wish that the story had traveling through the temples as the built up climax. Meeting the Crawler was much more of a highlight than any of the final battles we were worrying about.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
The way NPCs in oblivion just stare at you... all the time and im there thinking "its behind me isnt it?"

and then there's that bit in Aliens Colonial Marines.... when you see its shit

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Mister Spaceman said:
... Yeah, that was creepy as hell.

Also, I never played Dreamfall. Is it any good?
While Dreamfall is a good game, you should be aware going in that it ends on the biggest cliffhanger I've ever seen. Hell, it goes past cliffhanger: It goes over the cliff, with only the promise of a sequel giving any indication that there is any hope for any closure whatsoever. Until the Kickstarter produces an actual sequel, be warned that the ending will leave you utterly unsatisfied, and probably a bit depressed.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
The Stanley Parable. At first it was kind of cute in a weird, deconstructive sort of way. Then you get to some of the weirder endings, like the one where you get trapped in an endless circle of the same rooms while the narrator is talking about how Stanley is going insane. It was...unsettling.

If you're one of those weirdos who like the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games (like me), you may remember the section in Explorers of Time/Darkness where you go into the future? Everything is greyed out, barren and lifeless and the first thing you do when you get there is narrowly avoid being executed by a bunch of evil ghosts. Surprisingly dark and definitely not what you'd expect from a Pokemon game.

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
Freelancer. Flying into a cloud in hostile space. The music generally gets muted,and all you hear are the sounds of lightning discharges all around you,and a strange howling sound. The big winners are the Badlands in the New York system and the Pequena and Grande Negra clouds in Texas. These three clouds also have densely packed debris several times larger than your ship. The Badlands has no real hazards unless you're a poor pilot,but it's controlled by the Liberty Rogues,who are more than likely going to hate your guts. And early in the game,they're a legitimate threat. Imagine,exploring the near-zero visibility cloud,which is VERY dark violet in colour,populated by extremely large rocks about the colour of Minecraft's Obsidian. All you hear is the creaking of your hull,an inexplicable otherworldly howl,and the odd flash of lightning to illuminate the distance. Then three ships open fire on you. Then three more. THEN ONE OF THOSE ROCKS. Congratulations,you just found Buffalo Base. Enjoy your death.

And the Negra clouds? No enemies fly through them,to my knowledge. But they're radioactive. In fact,I believe that these pockets are the most radioactive pockets in the game. And radiation constantly eats your hull,ignoring your shields. It's pea soup in those clouds,and with all that debris,one crash will send you spiraling so bad you WILL lose your orientation. So,in these clouds,should you chose to enter,you will be alone. No sounds but the sounds of your ship,the ungodly howls of the damned,and the odd flash of lightning. While the Badlands are creepy until you get a ship from Bretonian space,these clouds are creepy at all times. Should you die here,you'll die alone. No one will know. No one will look there. You will pass unremembered.

And the kicker? The Negra clouds are the result of an INDUSTRIAL ACCIDENT.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
One of the first times I went to the Rio Bravo plateau in Red Dead Redemption. Lots of rocks, tall grass, scrub, and all sorts of other places for the cougar I was just shooting at to hide. 30 seconds passed, and still no sign of him. I was looking all around me and thinking "Man, these damn cats are scarier than anything in most horror games".

After a dying a couple times shortly after, I learned to always assume that there's a cougar behind you while in Rio Bravo. Especially if you just shot the one in front of you.

One of those random events happened on that plateau where a guy was being chased by two cougars. I shot both, and the guy runs up to thank me. While he's talking, a cougar jumps out of the sage next to him and takes him down.

Cougars: The velociraptors of the West.

Luei

Sep 11, 2008
Fallout 3, Signal Yankee Bravo. There's a series of small bunkers with their own radio broadcasts, and I think there's some sort of reward if you find them all and turn on the switches that allow the radio signal to be broadcast. The creepiest thing in that game is one of those radio broadcasts. The others you tune into and it's just long dead people asking for help, or utter silence, but one of them is just a loop of a ghoul breathing into the microphone. You can HEAR how messed up the radiation made him. It sounds like someone who tries to breathe with phlegm in their throat, and then clears their throat, but in the radio broadcast it never does. And it doesn't help that the volume on it is rather loud. I dunno, but while playing through the game I found it SO CREEPY.

Also, yes, the Banshees from ME3, screw those guys. every time.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
When I was playing Terraria for a first time and I was going deeper and deeper trough caves I got a message

"You Feel an Evil Presence is Watching You"

which deep underground, armed with nothing but copper sword and only few touches left really got my creeps creeping.

Spacefrog

Apr 27, 2011
mParadox said:
Well rarely. I hardly play non horror anymore. Games are horror in some way or another. 3:

Well I suppose Borderlands 2.

The mission to kill Fleshstick. After defending the generator is over and done with. Tina electrocutes Fleshstick. Right after that, she says in a very hushed and serious tone, "Best tea party ever." It was so out of character it creeped me out. @~@
I wholeheartedly agree on this.
And it works much better because the conversation while defending the generator is quite hilarious, the mood changes so fast it hits much harder.
And then later you find the echo recordings her parents made. (Right before Bloodwing, talk about your one-two punch)

Personally I found the "Blood on the ice" quest in Skyrim quite disturbing, especially the hidden room.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
That whole thing with Granny Rags in Dishonored. She creeped me out the first time I met her... and then that bit with her near the end.

There was also that camping quest in RDR where it turns out that the reason all the people went missing was the work of a
cannibal.

Man, I really need to replay that game...

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
Witty Name Here said:
There were also certain "Demon Doors" in Fable 2 that were plain horrifying. Like the room full of an army of statues.
This one was the worst...