Critical Miss: #1

SMOKEMNHALO2001

Sep 10, 2008
I've been waiting for this comic to start! I just got a gig writing for a video game website and this comic looks awesome.
I'm glad it won, if the people working on this can make the new strips as awesome as the ones shown for the contest then I will officially become a fanboy.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
GL.Za said:
Permission to use this on a blog?
Honestly mate I'd rather you linked back to the Escapist website rather than posted the image directly. Page views are one of the ways we figure out how well the comic is doing.

Also. 3D dot heroes is amazing. Check this out.

[http://www.freeimagehosting.net/]

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
hopeneverdies said:
Podunk said:
...As a random aside, I'd also like to say I liked the old title better. Out of Tens amused me, because (obviously) it's a reference to the common magazine practice of rating games 1-10, and doubly so because given the context of the comment, it brings to mind 'Ten Out of Tens', which a lot of the less palatable magazines dole out excessively and of course the protagonist's web site would too. Critical Miss just makes me think of tabletop games, which don't really have anything to do with the comic. I appreciate a good pun more than the next guy, but it just seems off. Was there a particular reason for the name change?
Someone figured out on page 1.
Critical Miss

Critical. Miss.

Critic. Miss.

Miss Critic
Does that help?
Uh... no?

As I said in my original post, I get the pun. It just seems like a weaker title. You wouldn't name a comic about the glamorous world of fashion "Boom, Headshot", because that's a reference to First-Person Shooters and it creates implications that don't match the work. Models have 'headshots'. That is a thing. The chick is a critic. That is also a thing. But the former doesn't have anything to do with FPS, and the latter has nothing to do with tabletop gaming. Do you understand what I mean?

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
This comic is more like a critical HIT!
aaaah? See what I did there? Positive spin. I but you the internet are used to seeing the total opposite of that spin. :)

Ricotez

Jan 17, 2010
It's quite an old joke, but that's why it's funny. Plus, I wasn't expecting it at all. While reading the comic I was thinking 'Hey, a serious comic on the Escapist? That cannot be...' and then I lol'd.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Hm interesting.

Although it's too bad that you didn't stick with "Out of Tens", "Critical Miss" just sounds like another omg girl gamer omg comic.

Wrann

Sep 22, 2009
Awww ya donuts one of the few things everyone in the world can like. Also nice comic so far.

EBHughsThe1st

Nov 18, 2009
Critique time.
The heavy build-up is a classic comic formula. During my time making bedroom comics, that was mostly how I would make them. But the problem is the relevance between the build-up and the punch-line it supplies. "Fuck yeah, Donuts!" is random but not in the completely comical sense. It's like "We've made all this build-up. Now What?" "Let's Just make her say "Fuck Yeah! Donuts!" They'll eat that right up." "Great work, Jimmy. Here's your money."
Now that the backing to prevent some sort of flame war is provided, I think this is far from funny.

Cory Rydell

Feb 4, 2010
Well I don't know if it is completely unrelated. Her speech at the start is her hating on this big corporate company but her statement of "fuck yea donuts" is her showing how she can bury all this self-loathing and sell-outedness for the perks (donuts) and it shows a certain lack of morals that defines a bit of her character...

Zenron

The Laughing Shadow
May 11, 2010
This one made me laugh, but it also brings up a good point. Reviewers are just puppets...

EBHughsThe1st

Nov 18, 2009
foxyexplosion said:
Well I don't know if it is completely unrelated. Her speech at the start is her hating on this big corporate company but her statement of "fuck yea donuts" is her showing how she can bury all this self-loathing and sell-outedness for the perks (donuts) and it shows a certain lack of morals that defines a bit of her character...
Then where'd the "comedy" go?

Bevvie

Jan 24, 2009
Hey lilmoomoo! Got to keep some of the old gang together supporting each other. Even if it is somewhere...different!

Oh and Grey, I am really happy for you hun. I think one of your most priceless moments was seeing your face and hearing you go "Holy Shit" repeatedly when you learned you had won.

You definitely deserve it. I may ***** and moan about all the comic ideas and suggestions I have to listen to, but when it comes down to it, you're finally getting recognition for something you love doing the most and that's what is most important.

And while this particular strip isn't my favourite, it makes me giggle every time I see a doughnut now.

UtopiaV1

Feb 8, 2009
I have never once, in my entire life, thought that games journalism, in any shape or form, was "glamorous" in the classical or contemporary sense of the word...

I did always think, however, it involved a lot of sitting in your own nest/cocoon made entirely of mountain dew and old pizza boxes playing some boring game that no-one has any interest in playing this century, quickly spewing out any old tripe into Microsoft Word 6 hours before your article goes live. How close to the mark am I?

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
I do think the "Fuck Yeah! Donuts!" line is really funny, but I especially love it because I can relate to it. Lots of times I've gone in to work, wishing I was anywhere else, and been pleasantly surprised by freshly baked treats.