Critical Miss: #20

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
It seems like it is going to be hard to come up with more scenarios now that you don't have a universe for them to take place in.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
commasplice said:
As far as I can tell, minkowski space is just space-time as we perceive it more or less, 3 spacial and one time.
The fourth dimension here is more of a mathematical construct, adding an extra spatial, to imagine how 4 dimensional objects would appear to us in 3 dimensions.
For instance, to imagine a terrasect (a 4 dimensional cube), it's like representing a regular cube in 2 dimensions (drawing it). When you draw a cube you would draw 2 squares with parallel lines joining them, and you imagine in your head all lines are at right angles to each other, even though you can't physically draw that in 2 dimensions. To represent a 4 dimensional cube in 3 dimensions you'd have a cube within a cube, with 4 lines joing the inner cube to the outer cube. Again you imagine that these new lines are somehow at right angles to all the other ones, and the inner cube is the same size as the outer in its true dimension. (like how you imagine the diamond shape made in the 2 dimensional cube being a square, only looking at it from a strange perspective)
This is all I've got from looking it up on my own at any rate, so I can't explain it very well, but is intersting to try and think about it.

The game will probably be rubbish though.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
When someone mentions a hypercube, or the fourth dimension in general, I can't help but remember the not-very-fondly remembered Cube 2. And you know what? I enjoyed that movie! So I love 4D conversations even though I still cannot wrap my head around the concept.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Grey Carter said:
I swear to God this made some actual sense when I was writing it. Originally this strip was supposed to be making fun of Miegakure and this hilariously overblown article on it. [http://kotaku.com/5585099/the-man-who-will-bring-us-to-the-fourth-dimension] It begins by implying that Marc Ten Bosch is the game designing equivalent of Dr Manhattan from Watchmen before going on to tell us the game will pretty much change the world as we know it. The video that follows is, to low brow, rock biters such as ourselves, completely underwhelming. The game looks clunky and unpleasant and while Bosch claims the game is an accurate 3d model of a 4d universe, as Cory pointed out when we talked about it, he could be just making shit up. How could we tell?

Anyway eventually we found poking fun at a game because we don't understand it and because articles reporting on it are throwing around technical jargon with gleeful abandon was kind of obnoxious. Which is when our famed synergy kicked in.

?Dude. Know what was awesome??
?What??
?The giant sand-tiger head from Aladdin. We should put that in there.?
?Fuck yeah.?

And no sense was made.
You made my brain implode you two sons of two bitches

Sarmos

Mar 28, 2010
You've put a 360 achievment reference, a mario world reference, and made fun of Miegakure,
ALL IN THE SAME COMIC.

Hilarity ensued.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
jericu said:
Isn't the fourth dimension time?
Some theorize that time is three dimensions itself, making the universe at least six dimensions. Eating the universe should be worth at least 12G.

I am sad I didn't think of eating it first.

Benjeezy

Dec 3, 2009
Darrkon Fearlock said:
Punchline: Haha, Video Games. C'mon I don't mean to be such an ass, but I know you can do better than this.
I totally agree. This kinda seemed like "LOL REFERENCES" to me...

Unia

Jan 15, 2010
That Miegakure article made most of Peter Molyneux's (sp?) pitches look reasonable. In the actual game you do what exactly? Mess around with a yet another physics puzzle while enduring advanced mathematics? Be still, my heart.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
We should totally protest to Microsoft to increase the amount for 'Ate the universe achievement'!

ShoopDaToaster

Jun 15, 2010
What is this I dont even.
Guy makes cube out of ferret technology.
Girl uses block to make mario refrence.
Girl eats mushroom from said mario rerence.
Girl destroys everything.

Am I missing something here?