Critical Miss: #24

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
I didn't quite get the comic because I'm not really familiar with the card game, but the explanation in the thread was excellent. And hilarious.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Break said:
Y'know, I kind of like how you're happy to make jokes and references to things people might not understand at all.

Oh come on, lots of games have stuff like that. For instance, I was playing League of Legends today, and I was a support character with 4 damage champions by my side. One of them was nearly death, so enemies jumped on him like monkeys on a circus freak looking like a banana. I activated my Ultimate Skill, rendering my ally invulnerable to all damage for 3 seconds. All 5 of us concentrated fire on the enemy team and one-by-one, we wiped them out effectively.

Oh, the incoming flamefest. WTF WTH IS THAT SHIT DUDE YOU ARE OP!!!

Earthbound

Aug 13, 2008
Abedeus said:
Oh come on, lots of games have stuff like that. For instance, I was playing League of Legends today, and I was a support character with 4 damage champions by my side. One of them was nearly death, so enemies jumped on him like monkeys on a circus freak looking like a banana. I activated my Ultimate Skill, rendering my ally invulnerable to all damage for 3 seconds. All 5 of us concentrated fire on the enemy team and one-by-one, we wiped them out effectively.
I guess that that's what the other team gets for not having a Janna to deal with situations like that. Nice counter-gank, by the way.

The closest experience I had to M:TG was Magic: The Gathering - Battlegrounds for the Xbox. It strayed quite a bit from the actual game, or so I heard, and actually wasn't that good of a game itself, but at least it lets me understand all these references in the preceding posts!

Sizzo

Sep 28, 2009
Me and my friends don't sit by our Kitchen-table and play MtG. We go a Mexican restaurant, by a soda each so we can use their wonderfully long tables and sit for hours, talking so much bullshit and probably scaring the living hell out of the others in that room.
I've had some of the best moments in my life by that table^^.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Once my friend was playing a green deck and he managed to uberbuff a creature to like 14/12 for a turn and attacked me. I had exactly 14 life left and a mere 2/1 lifelink vampire left on the board. He attacked, but I blocked with the vampire, technically gaining me 2 life! From that I used a doomblade to remove his creature and came back to win the game with some life regen stuff and lucky draws ;)

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Abedeus said:
Break said:
Y'know, I kind of like how you're happy to make jokes and references to things people might not understand at all.

Oh, the incoming flamefest. WTF WTH IS THAT SHIT DUDE YOU ARE OP!!!
In my opinion, Kayle is a VERY underrated champion, I'm glad I'm not the only one who plays her!

Kiithid

Aug 12, 2009
Jhereg42 said:
I had this card called the Sliver Queen that basically mades tons of little 1/1 cannonfodder. Everybody was like "oooh, scary" until I played an Overrun.

There is no greater sense of satisfaction than killing all three opponents in a 4 way duel in one turn thanks to a horde of 1/1 Slivers.
Sliver decks rock the table with overwhelming zerg strategy, you win 5 internets to bring sc to mtg.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
AC10 said:
In my opinion, Kayle is a VERY underrated champion, I'm glad I'm not the only one who plays her!
She's underplayed, but not underrated. Ranked level 30 players and even Elementz from the Riot team considers her Tier 1. Hell, she's second in that tier, right behind Ezreal. You don't want to know how badly those two champs kick. Or a team of Shaco, Heime, Morgana and Ezreal PLUS Kayle. Because that was my team in my first post.

Tel_Windzan

Dec 18, 2008
By the time I actually did get serious in to play Magic the Gathering, was the time that I realized that I just did not have the money to update my decks so that they were still Type 2 for the tournaments held in my local game store. I really, really wanted to try my hand at fighting other players because I would like to see how my decks would hold up against another player's decks and I guess it is because of what you have pointed out.

Magic has so many cards in it that you can do all sorts of strategies with them, some of which are really powerful and can take down your opponents quickly but then there are just some that you can make for the fun of it. I still have a book on deck construction where the author would mention how in one of his games, he got overrun by his opponent's army of pinging monsters while he tried to set up his own forces of beefy monsters. There is just so much variety you can do with Magic that you would just be surprised at what some people can do!

I've only made a few decks on my own, with the ones that I think I have the most fun with was a Zombie deck I made, a black-red deck and one deck that I still have that is my most favorite, a blue-green deck I call Flashback Mayhem. When I found a Boomerang [http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=83039]! My opponent loses all of his monsters while mines is ready to dine!

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Jhereg42 said:
I had this card called the Sliver Queen that basically mades tons of little 1/1 cannonfodder. Everybody was like "oooh, scary" until I played an Overrun.

There is no greater sense of satisfaction than killing all three opponents in a 4 way duel in one turn thanks to a horde of 1/1 Slivers.
Oh my god, I remember that card... Didn't it require something like one of every mana to play or something horrible? But of course, once you got that thing out, you've got all sorts of options.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Grey Carter said:
I have a Sliver Queen deck in my (ludicrously overpowered for casual play) Foil Sliver deck (buying the advantage for the win!) and she owns. She essentially gives you free ammo for other Sliver's abilities and/or gives you buffed, double striking, deathtouching monster slivers every turn later in the game.
Slivers are kind of boring to play though. A full sliver deck, like an elf deck, has no timing required. Do you play a sliver? Why the fuck not, there's never any reason not too considering it buffs every other Sliver on the field.
A friend of mine, with whom I play, using his decks, has that deck; though he does not have a sliver queen in it. I agree it is rather boring to play with, especially since, after a few turns, you are virtually guaranteed to empty your hand, and end up with no other choice than to play whatever card you draw that turn. It is a very nice deck for beginners though: Since it is largely based on abilities, you quickly gain practice in how to handle more than just attacking and blocking. I just wish he would get rid of those barbed slivers and spectral slivers. I have no use for those.

Still, after using his sliver deck for a while, I went on to his eldrazi deck; which was slightly more rewarding. There are few things as satisfying as summoning Emrakul, the aeons torn [http://magiccards.info/query?q=emrakul+the+aeons+torn&v=card&s=cname] with the help of Eye of Ugin [http://magiccards.info/query?q=ugin&v=card&s=cname] and Nirkana revenant [http://magiccards.info/query?q=nirkana+revenant&v=card&s=cname], and from there on delicately crushing your enemies.

Sadly, I think he has disassembled his eldrazi deck now. I didn't even get to try using Spawnsire of Ulamog [http://magiccards.info/roe/en/11.html] to its full potential.

What does Norwegian have to do with it though?

Edit: Also, screw artifact decks.

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
coldfrog said:
Jhereg42 said:

Oh my god, I remember that card... Didn't it require something like one of every mana to play or something horrible? But of course, once you got that thing out, you've got all sorts of options.
One mana of each type, so effectively in a 5c deck you got for 5 mana a:
7/7 creature
That could produce an unlimited amount of 1/1 slivers.

You didn't have to tap her, so if you had 5 mana left from the last turn (ie, no need to toss a counterspell or anything) you could tap your leftover mana as an interupt before your untap phase and get that many extra 1/1 slivers at effectively no cost.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
Wow, really? That's the worst attitude towards mtg I've ever seen. I can't play kitchen table types because they're so bad at the game... don't know resource management, think that "living the dream" decks actually win, etc. I've got no problem playing casual formats like EDH but it'd still be no fun if your opponents don't get that 2 for 1s are good and all that.

Also, tournament decks aren't expensive. There are always the cheap one that's like 150-200 to make, and the most expensive you can go (if it's even still viable) is 700 for a deck that goes out of its way to play the most expensive cards. That's for Type 2 where you generally need new stuff every set; older decks are more expensive assuming you need dual lands but they never change.

EDIT - omg people are talking about Sliver Queen and Elvish Piper like they're viable in this thread... *facepalm*

Kyouhen

Apr 2, 2010
As someone with a Bird deck I found this comic hilarious. Mostly because that's how any game I play in tends to end, and my casual group tends to play games with 5-6 players. The last game I played with them had me, an elf player and a vampire player still alive with the vampire player sitting at 68 life. I proceeded to end them both with a pair of 74/74 Suntail Hawks [http://magiccards.info/ju/en/28.html]. Fear the birds indeed! >:D

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
ItsAPaul said:
Wow, really? That's the worst attitude towards mtg I've ever seen. I can't play kitchen table types because they're so bad at the game... don't know resource management, think that "living the dream" decks actually win, etc. I've got no problem playing casual formats like EDH but it'd still be no fun if your opponents don't get that 2 for 1s are good and all that.

Also, tournament decks aren't expensive. There are always the cheap one that's like 150-200 to make, and the most expensive you can go (if it's even still viable) is 700 for a deck that goes out of its way to play the most expensive cards. That's for Type 2 where you generally need new stuff every set; older decks are more expensive assuming you need dual lands but they never change.

EDIT - omg people are talking about Sliver Queen and Elvish Piper like they're viable in this thread... *facepalm*
Nice man. The smug sneering at the end there really helped make your point about how fun tournament games are.

Mar 29, 2009
ItsAPaul said:

This is casual play talk.
Nor Tourney.
It is well known they can't be used.

MrPatience

Mar 25, 2009
Good comic! I haven't played since the Melbourne GP last year, so I haven't seen much of the Zendikar sets.
I'm a big fan of discard-decks. One of my favorites was something I threw together from the Alara sets, consisting solely of 1/1 meatshields, and then mind funerals and Nemesis of Reasons. Endless hours of fun.

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
That's what I love about MTG, when a player suddenly does a 180 on you and wipes you out, or those fun theme decks you use against friends.