Critical Miss: #29

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Talvrae said:
Jandau said:
The strip hits the nail on the head regarding that verdict.

88 mil is absurd. She won't make anything close to that for the rest of her life. What's the point of passing such a sentence? Oh, I'm sure they'll give her a nice payment plan, after siezing all non-essential items she might own, and she'll be reduced to buying expired food with the meagre leavings of her salary, for the rest of her existance. Oh, and I'm not sure how it works where she lives, but wouldn't it be awesome if when she died her children inherited the debt. Also, some intrest rates to compensate Activision for having to wait for the cash.

If I was her, I'd liqudate all my assets, grab what cash I could, pack my bags and head to a country where Activision couldn't extract payment from me. A chance at a life is better than no chance at all...
Well they pretty much made her a slace with that verdict in fact... Since every penny she will made that wont go to her essential for living will go directelly to Blizzard... She will basically work for free for the rest of her life
Exactly! Hence, why I think she should just skip town and try to start a new life somewhere else...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
It is so true...courts sue people for money they will never have...and, in the end all it does is ruins someones life when the person may have done barely anything

Apr 28, 2008
Jaredin said:
It is so true...courts sue people for money they will never have...and, in the end all it does is ruins someones life when the person may have done barely anything
Like pirating music.

"You pirated a $2 song... YOU OWE US $200,000 IN DAMAGES!!"

Duffy13

May 18, 2009
Mr. Grey said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Hah, like Bobby Kotick would demand a Kraken when he could ask for a huge pile of stones to squeeze the blood out of! Good point about the woman Blizzard took to court too, how in the world is she ever gonna be able to pay back even a percentage of that?
Why! With her great great great grandkids, of course! They'll pick up the tab when she's long dead.
Talvrae said:
Jandau said:
The strip hits the nail on the head regarding that verdict.

88 mil is absurd. She won't make anything close to that for the rest of her life. What's the point of passing such a sentence? Oh, I'm sure they'll give her a nice payment plan, after siezing all non-essential items she might own, and she'll be reduced to buying expired food with the meagre leavings of her salary, for the rest of her existance. Oh, and I'm not sure how it works where she lives, but wouldn't it be awesome if when she died her children inherited the debt. Also, some intrest rates to compensate Activision for having to wait for the cash.

If I was her, I'd liqudate all my assets, grab what cash I could, pack my bags and head to a country where Activision couldn't extract payment from me. A chance at a life is better than no chance at all...
Well they pretty much made her a slace with that verdict in fact... Since every penny she will made that wont go to her essential for living will go directelly to Blizzard... She will basically work for free for the rest of her life
You guys are spreading misinformation with comments like this and showing complete ignorance of the laws in question.

#1 - Default Judgment awarded the max penalty for the crime because she did not bother to show up and defend herself.

#2 - Debt cannot be passed onto heirs in such a manner. Any debt incurred from this judgment will disappear when she dies.

#3 - If the company was sued it will be liquidated and any profits will be paid towards the debt and then she will personally be wiped clean. If she was personally sued then she will probably owe the profits (which she should more less have unless she lost the money) and then declare bankruptcy which will reduce the debt to either nothing or close and they will garnish her future wages.

This is the price of breaking the law with a business, you will get financially screwed. But their should be no sympathy, what she did was dumb and now she's paying for it.

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
Actually pretty funny. Although, what happened to all the offense? I liked it when it made me both angry and made me laugh. Still good, just not as offensive.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Ah...intellectual properties and the finances they translate into via law. How I love your absurd mockery of our legal system so!

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
Mr. Grey said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Hah, like Bobby Kotick would demand a Kraken when he could ask for a huge pile of stones to squeeze the blood out of! Good point about the woman Blizzard took to court too, how in the world is she ever gonna be able to pay back even a percentage of that?
Why! With her great great great grandkids, of course! They'll pick up the tab when she's long dead.
I wonder what the Dollars -> Bottlecaps exchange rate is.

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
I creased at the payment thing

"My client also stipulated the unicorns must be pink or light red in hue" :D

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
Duffy13 said:
Mr. Grey said:
Grouchy Imp said:
You guys are spreading misinformation with comments like this and showing complete ignorance of the laws in question.

#1 - Default Judgment awarded the max penalty for the crime because she did not bother to show up and defend herself.

#2 - Debt cannot be passed onto heirs in such a manner. Any debt incurred from this judgment will disappear when she dies.

#3 - If the company was sued it will be liquidated and any profits will be paid towards the debt and then she will personally be wiped clean. If she was personally sued then she will probably owe the profits (which she should more less have unless she lost the money) and then declare bankruptcy which will reduce the debt to either nothing or close and they will garnish her future wages.

This is the price of breaking the law with a business, you will get financially screwed. But their should be no sympathy, what she did was dumb and now she's paying for it.
Still, the heirs get nothing of the estate - potentially - if the lawsuit was personal. That can have an effect.

Also, a joke is a joke. Kind of how ridiculous it is to ask for that kind of money since they'll never see it. I probably should have been a bit more obvious about it, sorry there -- in fact when I was typing it I actually had the phrase "I'm Willy Wonka!" because I envisioned myself with the cane and suit in such a charismatic manner - pre Johnny Depp - but I avoided it. I guess I should have kept it... I'm basically in a state of high by being so tired. I don't know how to explain it. Anywho! I've made that joke in the regards of the RIAA and that old lady they sued due to the fault of her grandson. And what sympathy? I only have sympathy for the old woman that did nothing to earn the lawsuit by the RIAA -- except own the computer.

Unless you're telling me she really did it and was blaming her grandson...?

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
The plantif was making money violating somone elses liscensed property. The fact that she made no where near 88million dollars isn't really important. That Sum does 2 things. A: shut's down her illegal buisness. B: Makes anyone else running a private server ask a question "Will it be worth 88million dollars?". Bobby Kotick is an asshat but you can't use that as an umbrella to excuse pirating somone elses work, then salting the wound by making a paying buisness out of it.

Still.. loved the comic, If I ever sue somone I'm working in a demand for one A-wing, to be outfitted with no less than 12 heavy torpedoes.

cardinalwiggles

is the king of kong
Jun 21, 2009
personally i like the little captions underneath the comics even though the comics, sterophonics for the win

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Congratulations. Bobby Kotick made this hilarious.

The world is ending. Something good came from Mr. Kotick.

Think about it.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
He only wants the unicorns to eat them. The Kraken will be his best friend though.

Personally though, I can't see BK getting excited over ANYTHING. Which, of course, is why his outburst is hilarious!

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
Okay, now that was a funny one. I mean. Rofl. Or more like roflmafao.
Still think you are supposed to have your own comic (even though some prefer some of the sunday funnies).