Critical Miss: Children of Steam #2

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
I only used Steam for playing Black Ops... all my other PC games dont reqiure it...

so when this happens, ill be like...

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Good for me I guess. I only play WoW and console games. Well, I do have Portal downloaded from steam, but I never play it anyways.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Looks like John Funk and Greg Tito, tho i could be horribly wrong on the Escapist pane. XD

Good thing i have a lot of old games still in CD/DVD format. (have since RE-bought them when it was going for soooooo damn cheap on Steam, i.e. the entire TruePC Battlefield series for $10)

fuck that i'm joining the horde! i will be feral, maddened, and hungry! GRRRRR Long Live Steam and Long Live Valve!

p.s. i can always fall back to Blizzard, my other great love ♥

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Pseudonym2 said:
You come off as incredibly elitist. Only people with powerful computers and connection to the internet can use Steam. Not everyone can afford both of those.
Well for a start, you don't need a powerful PC to use Steam, especially since many of the games on it are quite old and could on just about anything, eg. Fallout 2 or the Commandos series. Secondly, if you don't have an internet connection, how are you reading this webcomic?

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
You are aware that PC game sales make up like 7% of the market right?
PC gamers are what I refer to as a "Megaphone minority" a group that despite not reflecting a majority seems like they are bigger than they are by how loud and obnoxious they are.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Pseudonym2 said:
You come off as incredibly elitist. Only people with powerful computers and connection to the internet can use Steam. Not everyone can afford both of those.

Ironically the IGN fans might be more likely to go to Direct to Drive which doesn't use additional DRM.
Steam has a games catalog ranging from early 90s (Doom) to 2011 (Dead Space 2). Every PC on the planet can run at least a dozen games on Steam.

Secondly, while it's true that not everyone has an internet connection, the vast majority do.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Souplex said:
You are aware that PC game sales make up like 7% of the market right?
PC gamers are what I refer to as a "Megaphone minority" a group that despite not reflecting a majority seems like they are bigger than they are by how loud and obnoxious they are.
The 30 million users on Steam alone would like to have a word with you. Along with the 11 million WoW players. There's probably some overlap between those two groups, but my point still stands.

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
PLEASE, keep this going. I think this Children of Steam arc (yes, I'm calling it a story arc, shut up) is good enough to be a stand alone comic. It could be a humorous yet more critical view of games and the people that review and play them. Children of Steam are my two favorites out your archive. Keep up the good work.

Aug 25, 2009
Wow. That wasn't insulting to console gamers at all. I'm just glad to see that when the Escapist magazine sets down guidelines about not sparking off wars by baiting console fanboys they apply equally.

But then again, what do I know? I'm just a console scrub, I don't know my left from right and the only way I can communicate to the people of this website at all is by smashing my head down on this weird thing covered in letters in front of me.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
MelasZepheos said:
Wow. That wasn't insulting to console gamers at all. I'm just glad to see that when the Escapist magazine sets down guidelines about not sparking off wars by baiting console fanboys they apply equally.

But then again, what do I know? I'm just a console scrub, I don't know my left from right and the only way I can communicate to the people of this website at all is by smashing my head down on this weird thing covered in letters in front of me.
I think it was intended to be a slam against ignorant gamers, not console gamers. There's ignorance on all platforms; it's just a common internet theme that "lol u can't play games on PC."

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Very, very slowly, I am starting to like this strip. It has taken a while but it's just starting to wind its way into my affections.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
MelasZepheos said:

I don't understand how this was a shot at console gamers; if anything it parodies everything but console gamers.

In short let me break it down for you

1. IGN: Only plays consoles and doesn't focus on PC games for the most part. Not insulting the intelligence of console gamers, instead mocking the site.

2. Escapist building: These forums are known for their PC elitism and this comic mocks that

3. Alone in the Dark game: This was a horribly designed game, mocking the game, not the system

So unless I missed something and you would love to point it out so I can correct that, that'd be great

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Hey hey poking fun at console tards this time!

Anyway it really wouldn't be long until someone simply cracks the Steam games so long as you have them installed already.