Critical Miss: Dark Souls

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
sravankb said:
Of all the things to hate.....
Trite and often false videos full of empty platitudes that do little to actually help anyone who's actually suffering?

Yeah, damn, how can anyone hate something like that?

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
sravankb said:
NightmareLuna said:
sravankb said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
I always hated the trite "it gets better" videos.

OT: I've never liked games which have cheap difficulty (no proper checkpoints / 1-2 hit kills / repeat the same segment over and over). That isn't difficulty, that's just frustrating.
What is difficulty to you then? :) And really the game isn't difficult really, you just need to learn through trial and error till you get the attackpatterns right.

OT: Those things are terrible... Yes it gets worse but you know what I hate most of all in the game? Other people and their little messeges that fools me to dive of a cliff every now and then. :( Stop rating them up! :D
Hmm, if this game's difficulty comes from enemy patterns, and not the random checkpoint system, then I think I might give it a try (once I get a PS3).

To me, difficulty is smart AI. Look at the Monster Hunter series. The enemies have a crapload of different move sets and patterns that you'll need to recognize and counter / evade.
I would suggest you try it. It really is the kind of game where you get mercilessly butchered at first, but once you learn attack patterns and enemy weaknesses, you can go back to areas that seemed nigh impossible at first and breeze through them without taking any damage at all. Conversely, if you don't learn, basic enemies will still kill you easily. It's really about playing smart and carefully more than cheap deaths. Check your corners, don't rush, pay attention and act with wisdom and precision. God, I love this game.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
sravankb said:
NightmareLuna said:
sravankb said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
I always hated the trite "it gets better" videos.

OT: I've never liked games which have cheap difficulty (no proper checkpoints / 1-2 hit kills / repeat the same segment over and over). That isn't difficulty, that's just frustrating.
What is difficulty to you then? :) And really the game isn't difficult really, you just need to learn through trial and error till you get the attackpatterns right.

OT: Those things are terrible... Yes it gets worse but you know what I hate most of all in the game? Other people and their little messeges that fools me to dive of a cliff every now and then. :( Stop rating them up! :D
Hmm, if this game's difficulty comes from enemy patterns, and not the random checkpoint system, then I think I might give it a try (once I get a PS3).

To me, difficulty is smart AI. Look at the Monster Hunter series. The enemies have a crapload of different move sets and patterns that you'll need to recognize and counter / evade.

Another example are the boss fights in Castlevania, especially Dracula. He has a set number of patterns and attacks that you need to deal with.

And then compare this to games like GTA 4. No checkpoints for missions. So if your character (being the thickshit that he is) gets stuck on the wrong piece of cover and ends up with lead for organs, then you gotta restart the entire bloody thing over. From the start - get a car, wait for the incredibly slow AI to get in, drive to the spot, listen to the same damn dialogue for the 3rd or 4th time, watch a cutscene that takes 15-20 seconds to load, skip cutscene, and then finally get back to the spot where you died and hope the controls don't fuck up again.
The idea is to be really really careful. There are many situations in the game where enemies lead you into ambushes or attack from two directions in a small tunnel or walkways.

You don't just fight rows of bad guys, enemies are positioned in places that make your job much harder. Spearmen with shields in claustrophobic tunnels, archers overlooking the battlefield (like those two archers in anor londo people keep talking about. I dont know what the problem is, i just sprinted up the pathway, parried one of them to death, and just ignored the other and went on my merry way.)

It's not really trial and error (except maybe the bosses are), it's more about carefully going through the levels taking out the enemies in a sensible manner IE not charging into the fray sword held high.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
- Wrong topic, sorry about that.

So yeah. Dark Souls is hard. But its the kind of hard that ( i think ) is kinda fair, since it is possible to beat it without getting overwhelmed.. but its very unlikely.

jp201

Nov 24, 2009
The game is really hard but it is at least fair unlike old school difficulty games. When I die I at least know I'm the one who screwed up.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Am I a terrible person for having owned Dark Souls since release and have yet to play it?

I bought RAGE as well and basically I figured I could beat RAGE real fast and then move on, but I'm still playing RAGE... lol. Almost done though, then I can play Dark Souls. Can't wait, actually. Demon's Souls was one of my absolute all time favorite games, and easily one I logged the most hours in at well over 100.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
figday said:
GeorgW said:
You do realise it's not console exclusive anymore?
Eh? sorry i don't think i quite understand what you meant?
isn't it only on PS3 and 360?
Yes it is, apparently. I meant that it no longer is PS3 exclusive, like Demon's Souls was. The person I quoted expressed that they wanted a PS3, and I was trying to explain that a PS3 is no longer required, just in case they had a 360.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
"It will kill you a lot, but that's okay."
It depends on your definition of "okay". If you're one of those people who think games like Super Meat Boy and Demon's Souls deserve 9/10's, then yes, it is. However, great music and visuals don't make a good game to me if I'm only having fun when it's over.

figday

Mar 22, 2011
GeorgW said:
figday said:
GeorgW said:
You do realise it's not console exclusive anymore?
Eh? sorry i don't think i quite understand what you meant?
isn't it only on PS3 and 360?
Yes it is, apparently. I meant that it no longer is PS3 exclusive, like Demon's Souls was. The person I quoted expressed that they wanted a PS3, and I was trying to explain that a PS3 is no longer required, just in case they had a 360.
oh, i see where you're coming from.
yeah, problem is, i don't have any consoles, pc only, and i can't bring myself to buy one due to tight budget :/
and i prefer PS3 over 360, hence the OP.
But thanks man.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
sravankb said:
At least they do something, however little it might be.
Provide false hope, mostly.

They don't claim to magically erase the problem away.
Just asserting "it gets better" is bad enough to meet your criteria. You know what happens to people who are given false hope and find it taken away?

It's USUALLY worse than what happens when given no hope at all. They want to prevent suicides; I wonder how many are on their hands from their useless platitudes.

Hell, if anything, sincere efforts like those should be encouraged, and if you feel they're inadequate, just contact them and let them know how they could improve.
Good intentions do not mean good results.

It isn't their intention to make things worse.
When you accidentally start a forest fire, you're still responsible.

They're trying to, in whatever way possible, help out. No need to go bashing it.
Unless you live in the real world, where good intentions can lead to bad things. Then there really is a need to go bashing people who are doing wrong in the name of "good intentions."

Seriously, I would like to see them explain to the families of some of the people I'm sure have been hurt by their false hope, go to those grave sites and say "but I MEANT well."

I bet that would fly like a freaking lead balloon.

You ever bury a friend because of shit like this? I have. Don't tell me good intentions immunise them from bashing for their very real actions. It didn't "get better" for her, or for her family.

And yes, I did contact them on the eve of that event. You know what I got? Empty platitudes. They don't care. They don't want to change. They want to feel good, not help. I suspect that's why you're throwing in to support them, too. I suspect you don't really care about the issue, as long as someone slaps a superficial band-aid on it and makes it look all nice and pretty so you can make believe things have gone away....And I may be wrong, but then it's no more presumptuous than the notion that I haven't contacted them, or that they would respond with anything but useless drivel.

Well you're skating on a figure of eight
While there's pain and there's hate at your feet
And your Daddy's made clear
That there's nothing to fear
At least here on your street

But hey, I'm the bad guy here.

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
otakon17 said:
I concur. Had my first real RAGE moment last knight. It involves a very small catwalk, and two archers that fire spears at you. I'll let that sink in...
last knight? is that intentional?

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Ashcrexl said:
otakon17 said:
I concur. Had my first real RAGE moment last knight. It involves a very small catwalk, and two archers that fire spears at you. I'll let that sink in...
last knight? is that intentional?
Actually, no. But I left it in anyway.

shadowyoasis

Feb 8, 2008
SwimmingRock said:
I would suggest you try it. It really is the kind of game where you get mercilessly butchered at first, but once you learn attack patterns and enemy weaknesses, you can go back to areas that seemed nigh impossible at first and breeze through them without taking any damage at all. Conversely, if you don't learn, basic enemies will still kill you easily. It's really about playing smart and carefully more than cheap deaths. Check your corners, don't rush, pay attention and act with wisdom and precision. God, I love this game.
I'm going to second this a lot. Many people complain about the omg its hard stuff but its not as hard as you'd think it is.

Its just a matter of that your going to die, its given, but once you know that hidden ambush is there or that trap will suddenly spring you can go about your ways like normal. Some enemies are really hard, but there is usually more than way to kill something.

Like in the undead burg(fairly early in the game), a lot of people seemed to have trouble with the shielded spear knights at first. But theres several different ways to defeat them that make them a joke really.

You can Parry, which requires good timing.

You can circle them when they attack and go for a backstab, more dangerous if you don't single them out.

Certain weapons in two-handed mode can knock their shields out from under them if you hit it few times consecutively this requires a good deal of stamina though.

My personal favorite, run up to them kick them, then very quickly follow it up with a lunge attack.

But trying to play the whole block/attack game with them just isn't going to work, and just trying to kungfu them to death with a normal weapon 1handed will usually end up with you dead.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
I just have to say fucking red drake, gargoyles, everything is overkill. Oh and ledges. Ledges are bastards.