Critical Miss: Darker Souls

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
...I don't understand. Why was the dragon behind her? Why was jumping off preferable to escaping up the ladder?

Dec 14, 2009
Praise the sun!

And yes. People think they're being genuinely helpful by putting 'ladder ahead' in front of a ladder.

Totenkopf

Mar 2, 2010
My favourite kind of player-note in Dark Souls is this one:
"Beware: Enemy"
So incredibly useful, you won't believe it.
It took me three read-throughs to see that the comic has a dialogue...
Then it got funny.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Tharwen said:
...I don't understand. Why was the dragon behind her? Why was jumping off preferable to escaping up the ladder?
The dragon only just appeared behind her. And I seriously doubt she'd be able be ascend even a quarter of that ladder before the dragon roasts her alive.

She just decided to save herself little dignity by jumping instead.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Some folks just enjoy being Captain Obvious don't they? Annoying if it happens to you, hilarious if it happens to some other shmuck.

darthricardo

May 7, 2010
I would bet money that the message has been recommended at least a few times. If not many, many more.

darthricardo

May 7, 2010
I would bet money that the message has been recommended at least a few times. If not many, many more.

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
Ahh messages... Was always fun on my first run through Demon's Souls to see a message with a bloodstains before it and the bloodstains show people running over to read the message and dieing horribly. Then after clearing out all the danger reading the message and finding out that the message was some stupid thing like "Danger" or "Sticky White Stuff"

Though some messages can actually be usefull by warning about people jumping out or trapped iron maidens...

I just wish my PS3 hadn't broken so I can play Dark Souls...

K4RN4GE911

Apr 27, 2010
Tharwen said:
Because running would only delay the inevitable.

PerfectDeath

Mar 21, 2009
The note wouldn't have gotten any votes if it said something like, "Dragon behind you."

Now if the note said, "Dragon Ahead." that would be much more fun as it would at least hint to the appearance of a dragon, only to surprise you that it came from behind!

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
That is so damn true, and I giggled at the dragon's answer.

I remember from Demon's Souls there was a note that said 'Hole ahead' right in front of it, and I was not surprised when I saw a ton of 'no shit sherlock' notes littered everywhere.

'Sniper ahead' right in front of the sniper and I get shot at, thanks guy!

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Tharwen said:
It's a rip on the way people tend to (intentionally and not) troll others in Dark Souls. Essentially, people will put utterly meaningless warnings around (in this case "Ladder Ahead" 3 feet from a ladder), but ignore the actual danger. It's happened to me a number of times, something like a "Watch for Traps!" warning... on top of a trap, or just flat out wrong warning messages. It's kinda annoying to be honest.

Edit: As for the jumping off bit, that's what you do in cases like this. If something like that snuck up on you, you're dead. It doesn't matter where you go or what you do. It's much faster to just jump off and start over again.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
reminds me of all the bloody times Charon in Fallout 3 would warn me "this place is not safe" after we've mowed down an army of Super Mutants...

and then he would say "I don't like the look of this place" in my recently remodeled house >:[[