Critical Miss: Darker Souls

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Tharwen said:
...I don't understand. Why was the dragon behind her? Why was jumping off preferable to escaping up the ladder?
Because someone put the obvious in front of it, it was just sad. Also, your guy goes up ladders as fast as Slow Poke Louey runs.

Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Something like this happened to me last night. I was exploring the Darkroot Forest, when I came across a message saying "Amazing ring ahead" naturally I started frothing at the mouth at something that could increase my chances of survival. So I start to make my way up the path, as I came to the top I got jumped by two massive metal statue things that the person who left the message kindly forgot to warn me about.

I killed them, but it was a close fight. The ring [http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Wolf+Ring was so worth it though] was so worth it though.
Oh yeah, those guys are pussies, bloody hell, my halberd is more powerful then their shields.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Tharwen said:
...I don't understand. Why was the dragon behind her? Why was jumping off preferable to escaping up the ladder?
If you played Dark Souls then you would know that running from or at a Dragon is a futile attempt and that suicide would always be a better alternative. Unless you dive under a bridge and scream "I F***in did it". Then you might survive.

And what did I say? Fucking ledges.

[sub][sub]I feel so insignificant after seeing someone beat the game in 1 hour and 26 minutes.[/sub][/sub]

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
mjc0961 said:
If you play this game, you learn pretty quickly to ignore all the piles of glowing bullshit on the floor. The only time it's ever useful is in front of a boss fight, where there will be 15 million messages telling you that it's weak to fire or arrows or whatever. Aside from that, ignore all the shit on the floor because it's just some prick trying to waste your time or get you killed.
The messages are SUPPOSED to make the game harder.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
After finally beating one of the bosses, I went back to a merchant and left a note saying "try fire" as a friendly suggestion that players might want to pick up some fire flasks to make the fight easier. It didn't occur to me at the time that people might misinterpret the message and firebomb the merchant...

Polite Sage

Feb 22, 2011
Scars Unseen said:
After finally beating one of the bosses, I went back to a merchant and left a note saying "try fire" as a friendly suggestion that players might want to pick up some fire flasks to make the fight easier. It didn't occur to me at the time that people might misinterpret the message and firebomb the merchant...
If you're talking about the merchant in Undead Burg; he actually drops a pretty nice Uchigatana [http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Uchigatana]. Killing him or joining the Forest Hunter covenant, finding the covenant merchant in Blight Town and purchasing it for 5000 souls are the only two ways to get it.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, the thing here is that there are only so many options for what you can write and trying to convey the right thing can be tricky. I haven't put a lot of time into Dark Souls yet but for examples:

there is a moment fairly early on when you come out of a tower onto a battlement, and as you walk accross it a giant demon appears that can be fairly difficult to take on at that point in the game with straight combat.

The way the developers intending you to do this is that there is a ladder that takes you up to the battlement on top of the tower you came out of (where there are some skeleton archers); you need to clear that off, get the demon to attack, sprint to the ladder and then do a diving attack from the top of the tower.... it's a puzzle for most players, a few might be able to just beat the demon down if their reflexs are good or if they managed to scavenge gear and levels from elsewhere first of course.

At any rate, there is no real way to convey what your supposed to do in detail there, so a "ladder ahead" message is an indication that there is a ladder that plays a crucial role in whatever your supposed to be doing.

If I ran into the situation from this comic strip, including the dead end/ladder, my immediate thought would be that I'm supposed to get to the ladder quickly and then dive-attack the monster to give me an edge on it.

Also since multiple messages can show up and this game allows for a lot of freedom, sometimes it CAN be confusing when you see more than one solution presented. For example in a later area there is this armored boar-demon thing, and a good way to kill it is to get it to chase you and hide in a location where it can't reach you and use ranged weapons (unlike MMOs nothing prevents you from doing this). Another solution is to play "dodge the baddie" and run it into a convienently placed bonfire. You walk into that area you can find a bunch of differant messages leading you towards differant things. Run it down the hall, snipe from the stairs left of it (or throw firebombs), use the bonfire... all viable solutions.

Half the fun of Dark Souls/Demons Souls is putting the messages into context, the communication between players was limited intentionally.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I swear to god I once saw five "fog wall ahead" messages right in front of a fog wall. And one after it.

Then there was the one that said "happiness ahead" on the stairs leading up to the bridge with the dragon on it. You can whore that dragon's friendly fire on the hollows on that bridge for souls, so I guess it was kinda right...

And then my confirmation that people were always going to be able to abuse any message system ever.

"need thrust"

Me: okay...that sounds odd...

"Need head"

Me; of course...

Trilliandi

Feb 1, 2011
My all time favorite messege in Demon's Souls was hidden in this incredibly hard to reach spot that took me hours to get to, countless deaths of various types and pains, untimely invasions by black phantoms, and one REALLY pissed off troll-thingy. Reguardless, I fought and made my way all the way to this one particular spot, and feeling a deep sense of pride, looked upon the knowledge left behind by another...

...It said 'Hi!'

adrianke77

Feb 23, 2012
The most amusing message I've seen so far is in Dark Souls, where... wait for it...

In front of Gwynevere, "Amazing chest ahead".

Ninjat_126

Nov 19, 2010
Trilliandi said:
My all time favorite messege in Demon's Souls was hidden in this incredibly hard to reach spot that took me hours to get to, countless deaths of various types and pains, untimely invasions by black phantoms, and one REALLY pissed off troll-thingy. Reguardless, I fought and made my way all the way to this one particular spot, and feeling a deep sense of pride, looked upon the knowledge left behind by another...

...It said 'Hi!'
Upvote it, leave your own next to it. This is a badge of honour.

Mind you, messages are of great use in The Abyss, where they help give you spatial awareness, and in front of traps. A message in Lost Izalith saved me from a collapsing floor trap, as it was above the only section of floor that didn't collapse. Thank you kind sir, whoever you were.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Praise the sun!

And yes. People think they're being genuinely helpful by putting 'ladder ahead' in front of a ladder.
Better than those shitbags in DkS2 Online who constantly lie to people looking for secret walls. THAT'S the real cancer