Critical Miss: Darkly Dreaming Daxter

JohnDoey

Jun 30, 2009
paketep said:
Tarkand said:
Hmm, I guess it's up to your own personal taste, but while I agree that Season 3 pretty much sucked, I thought Season 4 (with Trinity) and Season 5 (with Lumen) were very very good.
Completely agree.

S6, though, I'm not liking much.
Why not, while it's not as good as s5 in my opinion it's still better than 95% of the shit on tv.

Sep 17, 2009
Grey Carter said:
Critical Miss: Darkly Dreaming Daxter

The Dark Defender

Read Full Article
I beg to differ, although I agree Dexter's third season was lacking it without a doubt recovered thanks to its fantastic fourth season. John Lithgow's performance was just awesome. In fact, the fourth season was so good I can't bring myself to watch the show anymore at all.

OT: I miss Jak and Daxter.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
Huh, I really like Dexter but you are right, season 3 was hard to sit through and it has been missing some of that magic since.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
We all know what's coming with Deb and Dex in season 6. And it will make it the best season yet. Awwww yeah.

Harkonnen64

Jul 14, 2010
6SteW6 said:
The third series was the terrible one? Season two was rather abysmal aswell. I was losing faith in Dexter until Season 4. John Lithgow played the best onscreen villian I have seen in a long time. He was such an effective creep-o that I like him a bit less as a person in real life :S.

I just started season 5 on dvd, hasn't hooked me as much as 4 did but it's still early days.
Just watch a few episodes of "Third Rock from the Sun" and you'll like John Lithgow again.

CdnDemoniac

Feb 20, 2010
fieryshadowcard said:
1>5>4>2>6>3

Season 6's first half was really good, but as for the second half, my sister once put it as "The main plot is so uninteresting it feels like the subplot." I couldn't agree with her more. The most interesting things about season 6 were Brother Sam and Deborah coming into her own. Since Brother Sam is no longer with us (*moment of silence*) we're left with Deb, who has, cheese aside, really been a delight to watch the entire season. Unfortunately, everything else is dull, ridiculous, predictable, or a combination of the three. The big reveal this season was something I saw coming early on, and since it happened, the way it's been handled and a lot of Dexter's reactions to it have been pretty lackluster to watch.

Also, Quinn needs to be put on a table and done away with. He was never able to fill Dokes's shoes, and since he and Deb broke up this season, it shows far more than it ever had in the previous seasons.

Season 1 set the tone for a lot of stuff that people have come to know and love about the show. Season 3 is the weakest of the seasons, but not necessarily because I hate it; it's just that it was a level of farfetched that does not mesh well with how pointless the season was in the first place.

Season 4 was top-notch, but its ending (except for a certain tragic and untimely death) was disappointing.

Season 5 was even better (although not necessarily better executed), and proved that the big-bad and the scenario don't always have to be bigger to be better. It was probably the first thoroughly convincing season about Dexter trying to find his place in a world without the things that anchor him to his code. Yes, the relationship with Lumen and the conclusion of that relationship were cheesy as hell, but it's the first season that actually ended with Dexter feeling like there was hope for him. Also, potentially having a sidekick who wouldn't stab him in the back was just morbidly delightful. Their largely comical and absurd first "date" was a stroke of deliciously morbid genius.

Season 2 was solid, but seasons 1, 5, and 4 completely outclass it. The loss of Dokes, knowing what I know now about who replaces him, also hurts that season.

For the longest time, the show's biggest problem has been that its protagonist walks the fine, grey line between the ethical black and white of things, yet the rest of the show's characters and even the writers are quick to take one side or the other. Season 5 was the first real attempt at the exploration of the grey, which is why it's one of my favorites.
This. For the most part. I would say that Season 5 was essentially Season 2 and 3 but made awesome, because I think we all can agree Season 3 sucked, however I'm probably one of the few that actually thought Season 2 was even stronger than Season 1. Where Season 1 had the suspense and mystery (that none of the other Seasons have ever actually managed to reproduce unfortunately), Season 2 had the most philosophical substance, and is probably the one with the most character development for Dexter.

I don't know why so many people dislike Season 5 though, I thought it was one of the stronger seasons, and I'm probably one of the few who actually liked Season 5 a lot more than I do Season 6 (I like the religious spin as it's an interesting angle they haven't tapped into yet, however it just seems typical "hunt the bad guy" story line with very little substance to it).

haydnfan

Sep 4, 2011
For me

Tier 1: seasons 2,4
Tier 2: seasons 1,3
Tier 3: season 5

I haven't seen season 6 yet.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Tarkand said:
Hmm, I guess it's up to your own personal taste, but while I agree that Season 3 pretty much sucked, I thought Season 4 (with Trinity) and Season 5 (with Lumen) were very very good.

Dexter has always had a lot of dark humor in it, even the first season, so I'm not sure where some of your reasoning is coming from.
Season 4 was obscenely good.

John Lithgow is probably one of the best actors ever. [/nothyperbole]

fieryshadowcard said:
Season 2 was solid, but seasons 1, 5, and 4 completely outclass it. The loss of Dokes, knowing what I know now about who replaces him, also hurts that season.
I fell in love with Dokes.

I swore he was going to become a friend of Dexter's and use him to help exact revenge on people that get away from the law.

I wanted it so bad. Those two in a buddy situation would have made me happy every day of the year.

Dokes > His Wife

Ah well...

Harkonnen64 said:
6SteW6 said:
The third series was the terrible one? Season two was rather abysmal aswell. I was losing faith in Dexter until Season 4. John Lithgow played the best onscreen villian I have seen in a long time. He was such an effective creep-o that I like him a bit less as a person in real life :S.

I just started season 5 on dvd, hasn't hooked me as much as 4 did but it's still early days.
Just watch a few episodes of "Third Rock from the Sun" and you'll like John Lithgow again.
I wanted to do this. I actually don't think I could hang out with him alone somewhere. I mean I adore the guy, he's one of my idols in acting, but he did that part so well that I'm not able to trust him.

People say video games get folks too convinced and involved in violence. That acting performance was something I don't think any game has ever come close to replicating.

Seriously shocked he wasn't showered with gold trophies :/.

Nautical Honors Society said:
In fact, the fourth season was so good I can't bring myself to watch the show anymore at all.
100% my exact same reaction. I haven't seen a single episode after the end of Season 4.

mrblakemiller

Aug 13, 2010
Why would this comic get made? What went through the minds of the writer and/or artist on this? Seriously, the entirety of the joke is "Daxter's name is very similar to Dexter's." That's it. Gah.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
I like in season 6 how they teased him going into frenzy mode and risking getting caught hopefully The Ice truck killer makes a reappearance in Dexter's pysche.

But the religious stuff i can take or leave though.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
Safe to say I enjoy the Dexter series and largely based on attachment to protagonist forgive any flaws the show may have.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
...what?! Season 4 was absolutely amazing, and I loved season 5 too. Okay, S6 isn't very good because of that plot twist mishap, but Dexter is still the best show on TV.