Critical Miss: Darkly Dreaming Daxter

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
I personally think season 6 has been really good, to the point that it's almost redeems the series for the lackluster seasons 3 and 5.

But the more I think about it I'm kinda glad that Dexter will most likely be coming to an end with season 8. I think that will help the show remain overall a strong series and prevent it from devolving like the books did. Plus with proper planing the series could have a truly epic finale.

pluizig

Jan 11, 2010
I'm a season 3 apologist. It wasn't as good as 1, 2, and 4, but pretty close. Jimmy Smits' character was amazing.

Now season 5, that one was dreadful. Season 6 so far is even worse.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
The only thing that bothers me about Dexter is that the writers seems to play around with his friends a lot. They are like LOL What would happen if Batista and LaGuerta got married! and then they don't like it so they are divorced two episodes later...

Overall nothing could be as bad as season 2...ever.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Don't know or care about Dexter. But Daxter, he's awesome. Hopefully, people buy the collection and then it prompts Sony to get us a Jak and Daxter game built for PS3.

MANIFESTER

Sep 14, 2009
Very creepy comic indeed. Nice job of bringing Dexter's creepy smile from the DVD covers to Daxter. Thought like everyone else here I gotta comment on the show.... while I agree that the 3rd season was the worst I think the 4th season is probably the second best with a close third to the 1st season. The 2nd season of the show was to me the most interesting. So in summary.

2>1=4>5>3

6th season isn't finished yet, but it is more interesting than the 5th season so far.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Season 3 was definitely rubbish, but Season 4 was excellent, best of the lot. I'm watching 5 now and it isn't really gripping me though. But to badmouth season 4, the nerve!

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
The Gentleman said:
Hmmm... I wonder what Erin's crime was? Spending too much time with Jack?
BRILLIANT!

OT: He looks so... happy... and Daxter-like...

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
Grey Carter said:
Critical Miss: Darkly Dreaming Daxter

The Dark Defender

Read Full Article
Season 1 was phenomenal and hooked me completely. Season 2 was even better and some of the best TV I've watched.

But 3... 3 was just "eh..." It was so average that it was just boring. Jimmy Smitt helped matters, but it was still just...

4 was brilliant, especially the back end and John Lithgow was a revelation as the Trinity killer. The ending, too, one of the few legitimate twists that TV has provided me in the last few years.

From there, I heard from friends across the pond that the series took a nose dive and got out whilst I still could. From what they've been saying about Season 6, I've saved my life!

Also: you bet your ass I'm there for Jak & Daxter HD Trilogy on Day frickin' 1!

ciancon

Waiting patiently.....
Nov 27, 2009
As someone who loooooves Dexter all i can say is "How darest thou!?"
I will admit that i hated season 3, but every other season has been awesome. Can't wait for the finale in two weeks!

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Creepy but I really like it. Well done.

BTW does she need rescuing at all? Might be an idea to do...

fieryshadowcard

May 18, 2011
1>5>4>2>6>3

Season 6's first half was really good, but as for the second half, my sister once put it as "The main plot is so uninteresting it feels like the subplot." I couldn't agree with her more. The most interesting things about season 6 were Brother Sam and Deborah coming into her own. Since Brother Sam is no longer with us (*moment of silence*) we're left with Deb, who has, cheese aside, really been a delight to watch the entire season. Unfortunately, everything else is dull, ridiculous, predictable, or a combination of the three. The big reveal this season was something I saw coming early on, and since it happened, the way it's been handled and a lot of Dexter's reactions to it have been pretty lackluster to watch.

Also, Quinn needs to be put on a table and done away with. He was never able to fill Dokes's shoes, and since he and Deb broke up this season, it shows far more than it ever had in the previous seasons.

Season 1 set the tone for a lot of stuff that people have come to know and love about the show. Season 3 is the weakest of the seasons, but not necessarily because I hate it; it's just that it was a level of farfetched that does not mesh well with how pointless the season was in the first place.

Season 4 was top-notch, but its ending (except for a certain tragic and untimely death) was disappointing.

Season 5 was even better (although not necessarily better executed), and proved that the big-bad and the scenario don't always have to be bigger to be better. It was probably the first thoroughly convincing season about Dexter trying to find his place in a world without the things that anchor him to his code. Yes, the relationship with Lumen and the conclusion of that relationship were cheesy as hell, but it's the first season that actually ended with Dexter feeling like there was hope for him. Also, potentially having a sidekick who wouldn't stab him in the back was just morbidly delightful. Their largely comical and absurd first "date" was a stroke of deliciously morbid genius.

Season 2 was solid, but seasons 1, 5, and 4 completely outclass it. The loss of Dokes, knowing what I know now about who replaces him, also hurts that season.

For the longest time, the show's biggest problem has been that its protagonist walks the fine, grey line between the ethical black and white of things, yet the rest of the show's characters and even the writers are quick to take one side or the other. Season 5 was the first real attempt at the exploration of the grey, which is why it's one of my favorites.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
3>5>1=4>2 (the 2nd season reminds me of the first season of Death Note)

Since 6 isn't over yet I can't place it yet, but if it keeps going as good as it has been then it will be between 4 and 2.

I also feel it necessary to mention that I started watching Dexter with Season 4 and then Netflix'd 1-2-3 and Have been watching since then.

I really haven't played any of the Jak and Daxter series so I can't commit on that.

winter2

Oct 10, 2009
Mahorfeus said:
First panel, first thought was, "sexy."

God, what is wrong with me?
Perfectly normal. That hot little minx will no doubt get out of this one and come home so I can suck on her toes...

God... what is wrong with me??

6SteW6

Mar 25, 2011
The third series was the terrible one? Season two was rather abysmal aswell. I was losing faith in Dexter until Season 4. John Lithgow played the best onscreen villian I have seen in a long time. He was such an effective creep-o that I like him a bit less as a person in real life :S.

I just started season 5 on dvd, hasn't hooked me as much as 4 did but it's still early days.