Critical Miss: Dead 'Sland

Bobbety

May 16, 2011
SgtFoley said:
Actually its this comic that makes absolutely no sense at all not the dead island logo.
You must not know that the North American logo is different from the original design (which does have a hanging man).

See here: http://pc.ign.com/articles/115/1156850p1.html

Manicotti

Apr 10, 2009
Is the front page link to this comic broken for anyone else?

OT: I liked it. This was the first thing I wondered when I first saw the logo, too.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Manicotti said:
Is the front page link to this comic broken for anyone else?

OT: I liked it. This was the first thing I wondered when I first saw the logo, too.
Yeah, I am getting a 404 from the main page.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
SupahGamuh said:
Considering that Erin still has hallucinations, it's nice to see some random characters from time to time.

Now that you mention it... yeah, it doesn't make much sense if they hang from the leaves of a palm tree, but you'd be surprised at how sturdy those things could be.
Hard doesn't mean inbendable.

There are many things that are hard and springy at same time. For instance, our bones. If they were less springy or much harder, they'd shatter every time due to no resistance to shock.

Bobbety

May 16, 2011
SgtFoley said:
Bobbety said:
SgtFoley said:
Actually its this comic that makes absolutely no sense at all not the dead island logo.
You must not know that the North American logo is different from the original design (which does have a hanging man).

See here: http://pc.ign.com/articles/115/1156850p1.html
That has nothing at all to do with what I was talking about.
Oh okay, sorry. Maybe you should be more specific next time because I still don't get what you meant...

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
I think it was probably a metal art deco version of a palm tree... That wakes waaay more sense.

Treaos Serrare

Aug 19, 2009
the main body of the tree being sturdy isn't the issue, the issue is that the stalk-like branches of the palm leaves are not quite so sturdy, not at the distance from the trunk that guy appears to be hanging from

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
leviadragon99 said:
Huh, I never thought about that... maybe some varieties or ages of palm tree are sturdier and less bendy.
Yes there are. Sadly not the one in the logo. Add in the fact that he is hanging himself of a frond. Those things snap off or it would just bend down and let you touch the ground with your feet.

Cory Rydell

Feb 4, 2010
mcnally86 said:
Yes there are. Sadly not the one in the logo. Add in the fact that he is hanging himself of a frond. Those things snap off or it would just bend down and let you touch the ground with your feet.
yea, aside from the countless times cartoon characters have been flung from palm tree slingshots the one issue I took with the logo was that the guy was hanging from a "frond"(?). Though I would put it less eloquently as a "leaf".

Kyoh

Oct 12, 2010
Dominic Burchnall said:
Palm trees are more than sturdy enough to support the wieght of a fully grown human at the top, as demonstrated by the islanders who live where palm trees are native who can climb to the top to dislodge the coconuts.
The trunk may be sturdy enough, but, as someone else pointed out, he's hanging from one of the branches. That seems odd.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
DJDarque said:
Did anyone else keep getting a 404 error for this comic from the main page link? I had to get here through the link in the critical miss archive page.
It's because they have the wrong link on the main page, for now.

Dominic Burchnall

Jun 13, 2011
Kyoh said:
Dominic Burchnall said:
Palm trees are more than sturdy enough to support the wieght of a fully grown human at the top, as demonstrated by the islanders who live where palm trees are native who can climb to the top to dislodge the coconuts.
The trunk may be sturdy enough, but, as someone else pointed out, he's hanging from one of the branches. That seems odd.
Ahh, apologies, I thought the tree curved over more than it did, you're quite right. It would be better for him to simply kick the tree until a coconut fell out and brained him, rather than hanging like that.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Totenkopf said:
Good point, and a funny comic that made me smile indeed.
If you take a look at the logo
you are only left to wonder "How did he do this!?"
It's still nicely designed in my opinion, despite this logic flaw.
Funny story, that's no longer the logo...

Totenkopf

Mar 2, 2010
The Gentleman said:
Totenkopf said:
Funny story, that's no longer the logo...

Hmm... the boxart on Amazon says it still has the hanging man

Maybe that's still an outdated version, I don't know.

Imp Emissary said:
He'd have to be hanging from the leaves of the palm tree right? I think the leaves would (from where he's hanging) actually bend enough for him to touch the ground.

Also, wouldn't the full weight of an adult be enough to pull off the leaves, or at least break them?

The comic is right. It makes no sense.
Yes, especially since he's apparently hanging on the leaves.
But on the other hand, it could be that exactly this is the point of the logo, since the man hanging on the palmleaves could be a witty metaphor for the contrast between island paradise and zombie apocalypse, but that's probably just wishful thinking.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Totenkopf said:
It also makes even less sense because the poster makes it looks like the middle of the tree has a giant hole in it and the tree is barely standing at all.