Critical Miss: Dead 'Sland

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Um....Why is Snorlax in this comic?
i think the whole arc where she crashes and starts seeing VG characters was so they could add them in the comic, which is cool imo

and she can complain about the games or they can make the characters complain for her XD

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
...Huh. I wanted them to keep the man hanging in the tree, during that mini-conundrum of it, where they thought someone might get offended. Now...it's kinda silly. Well, sillier, anyway, since it's not like it was a full-out seriously taken game yet anyway. Now...I'm not sure. Maybe just show him getting killed by a falling coconut--those things have crazy forces involved.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
BehattedWanderer said:
...Huh. I wanted them to keep the man hanging in the tree, during that mini-conundrum of it, where they thought someone might get offended. Now...it's kinda silly. Well, sillier, anyway, since it's not like it was a full-out seriously taken game yet anyway. Now...I'm not sure. Maybe just show him getting killed by a falling coconut--those things have crazy forces involved.
If this happened I would seriously play Yakety Sax through the entirety of my playthrough.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
The Random One said:
BehattedWanderer said:
If this happened I would seriously play Yakety Sax through the entirety of my playthrough.
That would be amazing. Instant depression cure, and all seriousness gone from the game! Ding!

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Grey Carter said:
Critical Miss: Dead 'Sland

It's a legitimate question.

Read Full Article
I have to give you props on something. Something I'm betting you put some effort into thinking about, but most people will gloss over.

I'm going to school for visual communication (design) with the intent to put my powers to good for illustration and comics. One thing I learned last year was a thing or two about Semiotics. Specifically in this case; the meaning of things when one object or item is placed next to another.

In frame 1, we have your character relaxing and dreaming up little ponderings. In comics speak, you could have had her starring out at clouds, or something to show her daydreaming (with the hamster in the same position even). Instead, in a genius move, you have her sitting next the the very cartoon/videogame ICON of relaxation; a snorlax pokemon. Without any trouble, I already know this is a lazy time of relaxation. Semiotics done expertly so!

Bravo. :)

(also good comic. Excellent observation of the palm tree. :) )

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Totenkopf said:
The Gentleman said:
Totenkopf said:
Good point, and a funny comic that made me smile indeed.
If you take a look at the logo
you are only left to wonder "How did he do this!?"
It's still nicely designed in my opinion, despite this logic flaw.
Funny story, that's no longer the logo...

Hmm... the boxart on Amazon says it still has the hanging man

Maybe that's still an outdated version, I don't know.
It was changed because the logo came under fire for being excessively graphic. So it was changed. Not every site has updated (or bothered to change) their advertising.

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
well maybie its a fake palm tree made of plastic? or something?
the game looks awsome thou so i dont realy care :p

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
The trunk is strong enough but I doubt the leaves are.
DJDarque said:
Did anyone else keep getting a 404 error for this comic from the main page link? I had to get here through the link in the critical miss archive page.
Moi did. Quite annoying.

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
Cory Rydell said:
mcnally86 said:
Yes there are. Sadly not the one in the logo. Add in the fact that he is hanging himself of a frond. Those things snap off or it would just bend down and let you touch the ground with your feet.
yea, aside from the countless times cartoon characters have been flung from palm tree slingshots the one issue I took with the logo was that the guy was hanging from a "frond"(?). Though I would put it less eloquently as a "leaf".
Well there are big thick varieties of palm trees. But they are also ugly so people like the skinny ones. And yes those things that grow off them are called fronds. The big trees sometimes have big dead stumps of fronds forming what is called a "crown" but it looks more like a collar around its neck. I know all this because the fronds from the thick ones are heavy and razor sharp and my brother had 3 leaves embedded into his neck and back when a frond landed on him.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Dominic Burchnall said:
You have to admire the guys' dedication though, since considering the effort involved with climbing the tree, while carrying a length of rope, then staying balanced on the top while fixing it in place and tying the noose, with an air conditioned hotel equipped with balconies and elevators about a 3 minute walk from the beach, you have to be really set on what item you want to be found hanged from.
Or, maybe he was just trapped on a beach and didn't really have a choice.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Hey website people, when I click on the link from the home page it gives me a 404, however if I go into the link via the forum comments it's okay. Just thought I'd let someone know!

Otherwise, yeah, funny :D.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Griffolion said:
Hey website people, when I click on the link from the home page it gives me a 404, however if I go into the link via the forum comments it's okay. Just thought I'd let someone know!

Otherwise, yeah, funny :D.
It's still fucked? Sorry about that, mate. I'll start whining at the tech people on Monday.

Quick question. Are you a pub club member?