Critical Miss: Derezzed

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Coincidence? I don't think so.

Incidentally I haven't seen the movie yet so I have no opinion. Haven't seen the first one either.

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
10/10 from me, for the movie and the comic.

Seriously, I loved this movie! It's perfect. I don't get why people aren't flocking to it like they did to Star Wars in the 70s.

dmcc85

Feb 18, 2010
that blonde female starts looking more sexy than the main character...
another reason to ""read on""!!!

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
It's definitely a good sequel. Saw it today, loved it - don't see it leading to a sequel though, as some reviewers say

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Despite being a cult franchise if there ever was one, I can see why they decided to try and do another "Tron" movie and even hint at a sequel. Like it or not, Tron was a hugely influential movie on an international scale.

What surprises me with all the comments is that nobody (on these forums of all places) has pointed fingers towards "Reboot" or Kia Asamiya's "Compiler" and "Assembler" series, not to mention "Seriel Experiments Lain". All of which covered a lot of the same material, but in a somewhat more updated fashion. Tron was cool given that you could see everything as analogies, even if it made no sense in the context of actual science fiction and how computers work. Other concepts have managed to go there and write around the idea of anthromorphic computer code.

This is to say nothing for the simple fact that "Virtual Reality" is now part of the popular meta consciousness. This includes ideas like someone's brain being trapped inside a virtual reality construct.

Simply put I think the big failure with the franchise was in doing a sequel, instead of a reboot of sorts where instead of a gun that "digitizes" physical objects, the whole concept could have been made to work with a virtual reality operating system that was being experimented on, and someone being stuck in there due to corperate subterfuge (probably not realizing that the mind is still present).

I'll also be honest in saying that I fail to see why you need to have a human factor involved in such a movie at all, as demonstrated by "Reboot" which itself became a cult classic, surviving for multiple seasons.

It also occurs to me that two of the sources I mention above (I consider Compiler and Assembler as the same basic series, just focused on differant characters) deal with the concept of virtual entities being brought into the real world. "Compiler" being a comedy about Domi-Matrixs from a 2D computer reality invading our world, with a pair of them falling in love with a couple of guys and deciding to defend it instead. Not deep, but the theme is noteworthy, it's pretty much Tron in reverse, with what amounts to the MCP becoming humanity's defender and other systems trying to shut it down. "Seriel Experiment's Lain" suffered from trying to be too deep, but was based heavily on the mystical signifigance of numerology, and how since computers work based on numbers and math they were basically a giant spell. In simple terms a secret society called "The Knights Of The Eastern Calculus" is working to pretty much create and kill god to absorb her powers and hijack reality. To do this they basically wind up creating an aritificial intelligence, manifesting it in real life (as a girl), and then trying to feed it back into the computers and destroy it, leading to a world that hackers could control the reality of by hacking. There is more to it than that, it's believe it or not the simple version (It's Japanese, what can I say?). It's another work that seemed to be heavily inspired by Tron's idea of an "alternate computer world", that again covered similar concepts in a more updated fashion (or at least when it was released).

In short, Tron's sequel suffers for not being able to cover the material as well as works that the original inspired.

drivel

Aug 1, 2008
I'm not entirely sure what a security breach has to do with Kotaku and i09 them having an intense dislike for Tron: Legacy. Those critics are perfectly entitled to their opinions about the movie, or anything else. Usually this comic is pretty funny, poking fun at office politics, strained social interactions and conventions of gaming simultaneously. Do you really want to be just another comic... Oh wait, I get it now.

/subtle

Also, I liked the "Weird Al" reference. I didn't like that you put an apostrophe in yours.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
The movie was fantastic. Thank you for this- there was no reason for people to be as harsh on it as they were. If there were one phrase that does not apply to this movie, it is "cheap cash-in." And yet people think that it is. It's just meant for a verrrrry specific audience, and that's why I think so many people don't get it. Oh, and just because something has great visuals does not mean that the plot automatically sucks or that the movie is not deep. It is- think about it, especially the interlinking between events in the real world and inside the computer, and you'll know what I mean. Besides, one has to love Daft Punk's score. That they hired Daft Punk to score it means they knew what they were doing, guys. The movie had plenty of soul.

Dr.Nick

Mar 26, 2009
Hmm I thought the movie was very good. Good acting, great sound and visuals, great feel. The only thing that was abit weird was the story but it's science fiction so what do you expect.

Sonofadiddly

Dec 19, 2009
The writing in the movie was terrible. But I don't know why I go into movies like this expecting decent writing.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
Are you frigging kidding me? It was good at the start but then it got BORING!!!!!

It deserves a 6 out of 10 MAX....and even that is being generous. VERY GENEROUS.

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
while for whatever reason most here are speaking well of the movie(which I like) I feel compelled to throw in my 2cents: To Hell with the critics! I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, even though it did have a few slight weak points, one of which quite was the CGI face of Jeff Bridges

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
You mean someone on the internet *le gasp* didn't like Tron?!?!?!?!? This one, although clever... didn't even really make me chuckle. Nice try, though, I do like the idea of the comic, but it really just seems like you're jumping on to the "cool to hate" bandwagon, like with Kane and Lynch in that one comic.