Critical Miss: Deus Ex - Sucrose Revolution

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
CrawlingPastaHellion said:
The Random One said:
No, I just don't like Critical Miss and the unfunny "humor" she (they?) produce(s?). Jensen was hands down the best thing about DXHR. Even though I enjoyed it a lot, there were numerous flaws that got in my eye, such as terrible and absolutely convoluted endings. So I am hardly a fanboy, since I do not fit into a definition of fanboism.
I am so very sorry a large burly man walks into your room every time a new Critical Miss is posted and threatens to murder you and all of your extende family unless you read it seventeen times and then agree that it's criticizing the character of Jensen instead of just making fun of the mechanics. I mean, I for one don't like Name Game, so I just stopped reading it, so I'm genuinely sorry you can't just do that as well.
Excuse me, what was your point again?

If you think it doesn't criticize Jensen, you're very naive. You could do all the same things in the original DX. Why not make fun of JC for once then? It's the second comic in a row featuring Jensen.

I'm not really following Critical Miss anymore, not since today anyhow.
What I've noticed about games like this, is that the more realistic they are and the more they react our choices, the more jarring it is when the illusion is broken. That's why clips like this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09vVF-Hvykg] work so well, the break in immersion is so jarring it becomes funny. I thought I'd comment on that.

As for why don't I do a strip about JC: that's mostly because Deus Ex is a decade old now.

I'm going to disagree about Jensen being the best thing about the game however. He was a waste of a character who managed to remain compeltely uninteresting despite the compelling transhumanist premise. The fact he was voiced by someone apparently doing a poor impression of Christian Bale's Batman didn't help.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Grey Carter said:
snipitygiblets
You are being silly here, a raving fanboy will never be happy with anyone going against their new found religion, not even if you pull a pheromone backrub :p

Wouldn't hurt if some people in this thread would educate themselves on what comedy is.

Nov 12, 2010
Grey Carter said:
...The fact he was voiced by someone apparently doing a poor impression of Christian Bale's Batman didn't help...
I thought his voice was more closely related to the character of Dirty Harry (they even made an in-game reference). I actually liked his voice a great deal, I'm not really sure why. Maybe because I'm a sucker for Dirty Harry.

Grey Carter said:
...What I've noticed about games like this, is that the more realistic they are and the more they react our choices, the more jarring it is when the illusion is broken. That's why clips like this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09vVF-Hvykg] work so well, the break in immersion is so jarring it becomes funny. I thought I'd comment on that...
That clip actually reflects the way I played the game, rather well. I did the same in DXHR and found it incredibly stupid that each of the Jensen's speeches were preaching morality, since it wasn't what I was doing the whole game. So, no, I don't see the problem with immersion if I throw a piano at somebody, just because that somebody looked at me funny. I have the freedom, I have the power, I shall use that power in whichever way I desire.

How that's breaking immersion is beyond me. Alright, in real life you would probably think harder about who deserves a well thrown piano to the face and who doesn't, but that's it. You would still have that kind of freedom, provided you have the power.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
I, for one, am loving all these Deus Ex comics.
I also couldn't help but hear "I didn't ask for this" in my head after every panel.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
Versuvius said:
Stop beating down on Jensen already, sure he's a blatant Dirty Harry rip-off, yet he's still more complex than 99% of all gaming protagonists, thus he deserves better. The first time wasn't funny, neither is it this time. Pointing something out does not make you funny.
Is this the mating call of the fanboy i hear? I think it is!
No, I just don't like Critical Miss and the unfunny "humor" she (they?) produce(s?). Jensen was hands down the best thing about DXHR. Even though I enjoyed it a lot, there were numerous flaws that got in my eye, such as terrible and absolutely convoluted endings. So I am hardly a fanboy, since I do not fit into a definition of fanboism.
No one's forcing you to read it. Just throwing that out there.

Jim Grim

Jun 6, 2009
Stop beating down on Jensen already, sure he's a blatant Dirty Harry rip-off, yet he's still more complex than 99% of all gaming protagonists, thus he deserves better. The first time wasn't funny, neither is it this time. Pointing out something obvious does not make you funny.
Huh? In what way was this riffing on Jensen? It's about how weirdly the NPCs react to your bizarre actions, got nothing to do with Jensen as a character.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I think my favorite touch in DX:HR so far is the emails asking you to track down the "office thief" and then giving you a few door codes so you can steal their credit chips as well.

RDubayoo

Sep 11, 2008
Grr, I hate this comic so much I'm going to read every single one of them and then reply to virtually every comment on the thread dedicated to the latest issue! My hatred knows no boundaries!

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
Cain_Zeros said:
Versuvius said:
Stop beating down on Jensen already, sure he's a blatant Dirty Harry rip-off, yet he's still more complex than 99% of all gaming protagonists, thus he deserves better. The first time wasn't funny, neither is it this time. Pointing something out does not make you funny.
Is this the mating call of the fanboy i hear? I think it is!
No one's forcing you to read it. Just throwing that out there.
Seriously. I liked the game too and I still found this comic relatively amusing.

What about the fact that you can take people's shit right in front of them, but God knows if you start hacking some door code every NPC in the region will rise up and run to the closest alarm.

What pisses me off the MOST was the fact that you could be incredibly sneaky and hide behind a desk, but if you try to hack the computer Jensen has to stand straight up and do a jig. I'm pretty sure those security nodes can't be accessed by the computer's desktop and keyboard, so why does he have to stand up and face the screen? I thought he would just jack himself into the computer with a USB cord like in Ghost in the Shell. I'm pretty sure you can do that while crouching.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I like how if you loot the Sarif offices, later in the game, you get emails on your terminal saying there's been thievery going on and that some woman got publicly blamed for it and she ended up crying.
That was neat.

DoW Lowen

Exarch
Jan 11, 2009
TheAmazingHobo said:
DoW Lowen said:
The critical thinking observation comes from the articles attached to the comic. If you read Jonathan Gray Carter's texts, you can see behind the satire there is a clear level of intelligence and a grasp of social and philosophical constructs that isn't apparent in other comic artists even if it isn't always reflected in the comics. Other than that satire and well placed dick jokes speak for themselves. So I don't see how I was too off, and I wouldn't compare a comic strip to the banal nature of the second coming.

EDIT: (Fixed quoting mistakes)
Sorry, I refuse to classify a comic as blending satire and dickjokes with critical thinking, just because about every 2-3 strip has a bit of writing attached to it, that sometimes delves broadly into current issues (what were the last two about ? Gears of War forces occasional party-splits ? Gawker is click-whoring ?).

Sure, there is the occasional truly insightful strip, but it´s not so much blending dickjokes and satire with critical thinking, as it is rarely sprinkling a fingertip of thought into a giant bowl of observational humour and knocking over strawmen.

Edit: And I just realized that I am sounding really negative, which is genuinly not what I was going for. I like the strip because it gives me an occasional chuckle or damn-right moment, you like it because you also see insightful elements in it.
Good for both of us I believe.
I think you're putting words in my mouth by saying I ONLY enjoy the intellectual insightful parts of it. I used the phrase 'dick joke' that alone should have absolved me of any assumptions you hold for me. You forget this a gaming website, and we're talking about a gaming based comic strip. For me to be a member I HAVE to enjoy stupid shit, I read CM because it's funny, but I enjoy it more because it SOMETIMES extends itself with insightful articles. But just because it doesn't, doesn't mean I can't enjoy a Slowbro being shot by Gabe Newell.

Regardless, critical thinking is a reflective examination of a set of properties (properties being defined as any element that comprises of a concept, construct of other material and idealogical item). Humour especially satire, often involves critical thinking, and whether the humour is crude or vulgar is irrespective of the process. George Carlin is a brilliant example of this. However I don't want you to think the idea of critical thought as something much more sacred, critical thinking is a universal process that is can applied once the pre-frontal lobe is developed enough. Critical thought can range from something as complex as Hume's critique of empiricism and the argument of liberty vs. necessity all the way down to yes, video game satire and dick jokes.

Anyway, we both still enjoy the comic. So I guess that's all that matters.

ImSkeletor

Feb 6, 2010
Stop beating down on Jensen already, sure he's a blatant Dirty Harry rip-off, yet he's still more complex than 99% of all gaming protagonists, thus he deserves better. The first time wasn't funny, neither is it this time. Pointing out something obvious does not make you funny.
He even sounds like Clint Eastwood. Plus a lot of the story of the game is taken directly from Robocop. Future Detroit? Check. Man does his job protecting people before being turned into paste by criminals? Check. Main character turned into cyborg? check. Boss replaces more limbs then he needs to? Check. Main Character does his job while simultaniously hunting down the criminals who turned him into paste? Check. Ect.

Edit: but yeah I still love the game and I still really like the character.

Nov 12, 2010
ImSkeletor said:
He even sounds like Clint Eastwood. Plus a lot of the story of the game is taken directly from Robocop. Future Detroit? Check. Man does his job protecting people before being turned into paste by criminals? Check. Main character turned into cyborg? check. Boss replaces more limbs then he needs to? Check. Main Character does his job while simultaniously hunting down the criminals who turned him into paste? Check. Ect.

Edit: but yeah I still love the game and I still really like the character.
In fact they did a Robocop reference as well at the police station (next to the Dirty Harry reference someplace else). There's also a Prodigy's Firestarter reference in the metro.

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
DoW Lowen said:
TheAmazingHobo said:
Sorry, I refuse to classify a comic as blending satire and dickjokes with critical thinking, just because about every 2-3 strip has a bit of writing attached to it, that sometimes delves broadly into current issues (what were the last two about ? Gears of War forces occasional party-splits ? Gawker is click-whoring ?).

Sure, there is the occasional truly insightful strip, but it´s not so much blending dickjokes and satire with critical thinking, as it is rarely sprinkling a fingertip of thought into a giant bowl of observational humour and knocking over strawmen.

Edit: And I just realized that I am sounding really negative, which is genuinly not what I was going for. I like the strip because it gives me an occasional chuckle or damn-right moment, you like it because you also see insightful elements in it.
I think you're putting words in my mouth by saying I ONLY enjoy the intellectual insightful parts of it. I used the phrase 'dick joke' that alone should have absolved me of any assumptions you hold for me. You forget this a gaming website, and we're talking about a gaming based comic strip. For me to be a member I HAVE to enjoy stupid shit, I read CM because it's funny, but I enjoy it more because it SOMETIMES extends itself with insightful articles. But just because it doesn't, doesn't mean I can't enjoy a Slowbro being shot by Gabe Newell.

Regardless, critical thinking is a reflective examination of a set of properties (properties being defined as any element that comprises of a concept, construct of other material and idealogical item). Humour especially satire, often involves critical thinking, and whether the humour is crude or vulgar is irrespective of the process. George Carlin is a brilliant example of this. However I don't want you to think the idea of critical thought as something much more sacred, critical thinking is a universal process that is can applied once the pre-frontal lobe is developed enough. Critical thought can range from something as complex as Hume's critique of empiricism and the argument of liberty vs. necessity all the way down to yes, video game satire and dick jokes.

And to think you could have spared yourself the trouble of writing this entire thing, if you had just noticed the word "also" in my last sentence (if that was not sufficient to denote that the insightful stuff is only additional, I apologize, english is not my first language. Or my second, for that matter).

Also, your second paragraph was incredibly condescending, as I never argued that dick jokes and critical thinking form some kind of dichotomy (or a tautology, or had any other relationship to each other). So I have to read the entire thing as you explaining to me what critical thinking means, for the hell of it.

DoW Lowen

Exarch
Jan 11, 2009
TheAmazingHobo said:
DoW Lowen said:
TheAmazingHobo said:

And to think you could have spared yourself the trouble of writing this entire thing, if you had just noticed the word "also" in my last sentence (if that was not sufficient to denote that the insightful stuff is only additional, I apologize, english is not my first language. Or my second, for that matter).

Also, your second paragraph was incredibly condescending, as I never argued that dick jokes and critical thinking form some kind of dichotomy (or a tautology, or had any other relationship to each other). So I have to read the entire thing as you explaining to me what critical thinking means, for the hell of it.
Condescending? Apologies if you're offended, but I said 'I don't want you to think the idea of X is Y' I never assumed you didn't know anything about it. Even if I did, to quote you:

'Sorry, I refuse to classify a comic as blending satire and dickjokes with critical thinking, just because about every 2-3 strip has a bit of writing attached to it'

It would have been a fair assumption to make. Perhaps you didn't intend to word it in that way, but you do give the impression that you saw vulgarity and critical thinking as somewhat incompatible. Although I do acknowledge your point about text being insufficient, I wouldn't go so far to say that it's non-existent either.

graverobber2

Aug 19, 2009
really?

I think this one is a brilliant reference: