Critical Miss: Gamer Science

skitzo van

Mar 20, 2009
I've noticed this everywhere on the internet, but mostly on this damn site, I've never spoken out against for I know the hypocritical douchebags that make up a portion of this site would come down on me, but I'm glad someone did. Bravo

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Out of everything in life it's probably games that are the last thing to inspire me to shank someone.

Great as usual but I miss the old disgustingly filthy comics.

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
I'm a gamer, and I play tons of violent games (luv em). I'm not gonna try and toss up some huge argument to justify why one group is wrong, the FACT is that some gamers are just complete idiots who fly off the handle and get their rage-on the moment something challenges their hobby. I personally don't rage and I can understand why some studies say what they say. Gamers are in the end, just human beings. Some of us are morons, others are brilliant, yet many gamers tend to band together if one of us is being affected. It could be that Gamers feel almost like...eh...a brotherhood or something? since we all share a medium that no other group shares. We interact with one-another on a daily basis through games or forums, and we can easily relate to other gamers through our favorite and disliked games (If I enjoy game A and hate game B, I'm sure their are hundreds of others who agree).

So all in all, people just need to chill out and ignore what anyone says. Just start spending more time playing games, and less time caring about what some people CLAIM to know about video games (Cause honestly...most of those 'scientists' and 'experts' don't prolly even play videogames).

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Grey Carter said:
Critical Miss: Gamer Science

Slander versus Pander.

Read Full Article
I love you so much right now.

I've already stated my opinion of the recent, horribly written and biased article the writer wrote on the [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.286870-Psychology-Study-Blames-Games-for-Aggressive-Behavior#11320063] psychological study of the effects of violent video games, so thank you for wrapping all of that up in two panels.

Video games have an impact of people whether positive or negative. It's great that we scrutinize the studies that claim negative behavior, but we don't do that for the right reasons. Instead of pointing out the flaws in the study and wanting more efficient studies, we simply toss out an data they find because we don't like it. And yet when another study promotes positive reactions we all cheer and believe every single word it says without giving even 1/100th of the skepticism we had with the previous study.

These kinds of studies are not always out to get us. Some of these studies may be pushed with an agenda behind it, but that does not mean we should toss out everything they give us. This applies just as much to the "pro-game" studies, and it's disappointing to see people blindly support anything that sounds good to them.

BlindChance

Librarian
Sep 8, 2009
God, so unbelievably true. We leap at every positive study and decry any negative one, and in the end it only hurts our cause. As one of my friends put it, we argue like lobbyists, not trying to find truth but instead just drag the whole discussion into the mud and prevent reasonable debate. So utterly agreed.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
Games are just like any source that can bring different emotions out of you. Games can make you feel better or become pissed off... I can see a child in development playing aggressive games on a constant basis becoming more volatile, same goes for the opposite. I feel kids should only play games that are rated to their age group or games that don't encourage or celebrate extreme violence. If certain kids express a certain mature level, then I would allow a bit more leeway.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Yeah, it's a little ol' thing called confirmation bias. You look for the things that confirm your pre-existing schemas and disregard those that conflict with them. While true for gamers, it happens in basically every other part of society too.

EBHughsThe1st

Nov 18, 2009
People want to hear what they like to hear.
Sometimes it comforts them.
Other times it makes their opinion seem a lot more valid.

It's just how we work. That's why there's a whole community on YouTube filled with Ranters who write down their rants, read them out, and get tons of views from those who agree. It reinforces the opinion.

Cyrus Hanley

Oct 13, 2010
Well this now seems especially relevant in light of this [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.379470-Researcher-Links-Media-and-Violence].

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
If I'm skeptical about studies that show correlation between violent media and violent behavior it's because they've been doing them for over 80 YEARS and have still not shown a clear, statistically significant result.

Ken Sapp

Cat Herder
Apr 1, 2010
I know I'm late to the game on this one but I had to point out after reading the strip that this behaviour is by no means exclusive to gamers. IF anything it is common to most of mankind, people cling to study findings which support their own preconceived notions and discard or attempt to discredit any findings which go against their opinion.

ConanThe3rd

Jul 3, 2012
And in the Sarcay Bastard 'verse, where the escapist is an online magazine about how gaming is the devil, the opposite is true.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Can someone actually point me to one of these ridiculous "pro gaming" studies? I know all about the whole "violent video-games cause violence" thing. And I know of some very basic small time studies about certain positives from games like them improving hand eye coordination. But I don't know of any studies that have concluded some positive effect of gaming that was ridiculous like the example in this comic and that gamers flocked to as "proof of games being amazing".

Because of that, I can only look at all the people saying what a fantastic comic this is and think, "What?". I was under the impression that the consensus had been reached, especially by gamers, that violent games don't cause violent behavior. So why aren't more people sighing at the first panel? The second panel is talking about something so ridiculous that if someone WAS agreeing with it then people would think they're goofing around or insane or dumb.

If the first panel had been something like... playing games for much of your life can lead to arthritis in the hands or something, something that's logical to think of and would have much more conclusive evidence in that it's examining something much more easy to see as a root cause, then the joke would work.

As it is now, it's trying to pass off research that has been proven wrong and that was being used to scapegoat video-games as calm and rational to a completely nonsensical study that (I hope) doesn't exist.

So again I ask, why are people so happy with this comic?