Critical Miss: Just Another 9 to 5, Part 2

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
I know I'm not the first, but fucking Zoombinies?! Primary school memories flooding back! Awesome!

And this is an interesting little arc, keep it up!

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
Now I feel like part of a broken record, since everyone's commenting on it, but: Yay Zoombinis!

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
I haven't taken the time to write about this before but I think I'd like to just get it out there since I've been thinking about it a lot:

I've been a constant reader of Critical Miss and always enjoyed it, but ever since the Critical Miss: Stowaways storyline it's been almost compulsive. After learning main character Erin had survived a car crash and suffering cranial trauma I had to keep reading. I was actually scared that the series was ending. I've checked every week for another issue almost out of concern for her because of my own experience.

Last year, around 3:30 in the morning on September 11th, I woke up in the hospital with no memory of how I got there, with the last thing I remember being my departure from my friend's house on my bike. Later when nurses were making their first rounds they had told me I had been in a collision with another biker and had suffered a very disconcerting concussion.

I've had a lot of difficulties with my life since then (and also before then, lots of big dramatic changes in the last few years, long story), with lack of restful sleep and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder being in the definite Top 3 Problems I Have Every Day.

So in Erin I found someone (fictional, but that doesn't matter if they feel real enough right?) that I can identify with: the confusion, pain, and struggle with recovery from such an accident. And I also get to see that same person get back on their own two feet and get on with their life and deal with the problems that arise without letting it change who they are at the basic level.

All with good humor and art as a bonus.

In this series I've found inspiration during hard times to gather myself up, take a deep breath, and tell myself, "Okay, you can do this. One day at a time. At least Blastoise isn't trying to knock you out of the shower and Duke Nukem isn't raiding your fridge."

Thank you Cory. Thank you Grey.

P.S. Also helping me build up steam to actually finish my own comic, so thanks for that too!

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Oh shit Zoombinis we had that on the computers in elementary school, never ever finished it due to not enough time.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
I've not thought about Zoombinis since I was nine years old. Well played, Mr. Rydell.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
And yet, seeing the zoombinis is not what I'm stuck thinking after this strip. All I can think of is Doctor Beat. Because they [http://penny-arcade.com/2011/09/30] told me about it, and it won't leave.

[small]Won't you help me Doctor Beat...[/small]

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
Gary probably didn't think very long when he decided on a name for his.. restaurant, I'm assuming. The name's not all that descriptive..

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
People talking as background noise depicted literally in the background? Nice touch.

no oneder

Jul 11, 2010
You should totally not make a comic for the next comic. Or the one after that, or the one after that, or the one after that. lol

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
WHAT IS THIS ZOOMBINIS THING?

Why are you all talking about it?

Why do I feel so excluded?

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Fwee said:
I haven't taken the time to write about this before but I think I'd like to just get it out there since I've been thinking about it a lot:

I've been a constant reader of Critical Miss and always enjoyed it, but ever since the Critical Miss: Stowaways storyline it's been almost compulsive. After learning main character Erin had survived a car crash and suffering cranial trauma I had to keep reading. I was actually scared that the series was ending. I've checked every week for another issue almost out of concern for her because of my own experience.

Last year, around 3:30 in the morning on September 11th, I woke up in the hospital with no memory of how I got there, with the last thing I remember being my departure from my friend's house on my bike. Later when nurses were making their first rounds they had told me I had been in a collision with another biker and had suffered a very disconcerting concussion.

I've had a lot of difficulties with my life since then (and also before then, lots of big dramatic changes in the last few years, long story), with lack of restful sleep and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder being in the definite Top 3 Problems I Have Every Day.

So in Erin I found someone (fictional, but that doesn't matter if they feel real enough right?) that I can identify with: the confusion, pain, and struggle with recovery from such an accident. And I also get to see that same person get back on their own two feet and get on with their life and deal with the problems that arise without letting it change who they are at the basic level.

All with good humor and art as a bonus.

In this series I've found inspiration during hard times to gather myself up, take a deep breath, and tell myself, "Okay, you can do this. One day at a time. At least Blastoise isn't trying to knock you out of the shower and Duke Nukem isn't raiding your fridge."

Thank you Cory. Thank you Grey.

P.S. Also helping me build up steam to actually finish my own comic, so thanks for that too!
Oh, shit. I hope you can get over your problems, and it's nice to know you've found something like Critical Miss that's helped you come to terms with that predicament of yours and work towards returning to a healthy lifestyle.

Don't forget that, along with Critical Miss, you have people like us Escapists that can relate to your problem and help you out, as well as many of your irl friends. Hope you can recover.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
honestdiscussioner said:
Am I the only one who doesn't get what's going on?
If you're just recently reading or had just recently started rereading Critical Miss, the main character, Erin (the girl), had suffered from a traumatic car accident earlier in the comic's storyline, leaving her mentally scarred and having delusions of video game characters appearing in her life, as shown in the storyline. As it's shown at the conclusion of that arc and during this arc, she hasn't recovered from her condition, but has grown to accept it as a part of her lifestyle.

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
ThunderCavalier said:
honestdiscussioner said:
If you're just recently reading or had just recently started rereading Critical Miss, the main character, Erin (the girl), had suffered from a traumatic car accident earlier in the comic's storyline, leaving her mentally scarred and having delusions of video game characters appearing in her life, as shown in the storyline. As it's shown at the conclusion of that arc and during this arc, she hasn't recovered from her condition, but has grown to accept it as a part of her lifestyle.
I got most of that, but I thought it was over. Are the character's she's seeing now actually people that she merely views as video game characters, or are they entirely imaginary?

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
honestdiscussioner said:
ThunderCavalier said:
honestdiscussioner said:
I got most of that, but I thought it was over. Are the character's she's seeing now actually people that she merely views as video game characters, or are they entirely imaginary?
It's not over. Erin never got over this psychological trauma, as it quite evident from the Link hallucination and... um... all of the other hallucinations.

She may view some people as the hallucinations, but given where some of the characters were in the first part, it might be safer to assume that these are just figments of her imagination conjured right out of thin air and aren't stand-ins for any tangible objects.

gruggins

Apr 24, 2011
woah... zoombinis? I bet I still have that game somewhere.

... the first time I played I thought Arno was a lump of dough because he would always yell "make me a pizza!"

It never occured to me that maybe he wanted to -EAT- a pizza