Critical Miss: Modern Warfare 3

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
I thought people were saying that they fixed the hit detection issues from Black Ops. Good to know that things haven't changed...I guess.

endplanets

Mar 18, 2011
Really good art in panel 1 and 2.

I love kill cam. The best one I ever had was when I was out of ammo and darted between a guys pistol fire for 6 seconds, then he reloaded and I boosted forward but his reload was too fast and then he shot me when I was an inch from knifing him. 9 seconds of Batman out of 10.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
No offence, but you may just be nowhere near as good as you think you are?

I played some online MW3, had a great time, but will happily admit that I was far from good. Most of the time, the enemy had already sighted me before I could get my sights up. In a game like COD, a few bullets is all it takes to go down, so unless you religiously check your corners and always look behind you, there are always going to be firefights where you never stood a chance.

The killcam isn't some floating camera that sometimes films footage from funny angles to make you look bad for the lols. It's simply footage from the other guy's TV screen, showing you how you died.

Sorry, but ths strip comes across as "Y I dyin all teh time? my skills r teh best! Teh game is broken! Dere's no way its my fualt I b dyin!"
You didn't watch the video that the news post linked, did you?

If you still think it's really "Y I dyin all teh time? my skills r teh best! Teh game is broken! Dere's no way its my fualt I b dyin!" after watching that, well then, I don't know what to say to you.

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
Akalabeth said:
Yeaah . . I find I didn't have as much lag after I installed it to hard drive.
Still some of the kill cams make me wonder big time, I know there's some sort of aim assist but a lot of people don't seem to even get shot in the kill cams. And do bullets pass through walls or something? Because one time a guy was shooting at a window frame and somehow killed me through it despite the fact he couldn't see me at all.
I was shot through the length of a fire engine. Not side to side, front to back. rounds had penetration effects on the vehicle and hit markers through it on the other guy's kill cam.

These aren't just lag issues people.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Akalabeth said:
Is it lying or are you lagging though?
I mean sometimes I've had what I believe to be lag issues and the I run into a guy, shoot like 3-4 shotgun blasts then I die and on his kill cam I only shoot like one. Seems like a lag thing to me.
From what I can gather it's something to do with MW3's lag compensation feature. It was the same in Blops.

COD4 and MW2 had their lag issues but I never got shot around corners in those games, unlike the last two.

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
Welcome to Australia, where not living in the US means you lag horribly because discrimination is AOK.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Irridium said:
You'd think that after making billions of this franchise they'd be able to afford some decent servers.
Why bother? most of the people who are going to buy it have already bought it, why should they bother spending any more money trying to please people who have already parted with their cash?

Spud of Doom

Feb 24, 2011
geizr said:
I can't begin to tell you how many times, in PvP situations, I've had to deal with being teamed with some trolling ass-munch troglodyte who thinks he is so pro and superior to everyone else but, in reality, is the biggest fuck-up on the field. The score-card at the end usually tells the story quite clearly when you see him sitting near dead last across the board in contributions(if you're busy typing, you ain't fighting).

I know not everyone has the same level of skill, and I accept that. I'm only, at best, an average PvPer, myself. But I can't stand those people who come in thinking they are flawless, when they are really screwing up left and right just like the rest of us, and start bad-mouthing everyone else for mistakes.
Sounds like you've been playing DotA/ARTS games.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Liked the comic, pretty much as always since reading (unless it's based on a game I'm not familiar with) but even more so this week due to the "Cory and Grey" bit reminding me of the Toploader song
Which now that I think about it is probably what you were going for, figured there were more songs about "Dancing In The Moonlight" than there actually was

bootz

Feb 28, 2011
My favorite, from MW3 was that I was behind a guy ready to kill him when a host migration popped up. Before it popped up he was facing away from me. After the wait during the countdown to restart he was facing me and kill me. Stupid game.

Hey Giants are just trying to give you a flight to the next town.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I actually couldn't stop myself from laughing out loud when I saw the last panel :p doesn't usually happen in these comics

but yeah it's funny cuz it's true LOL...altho admittedly when it happens to me it's prob just cuz I suck and not just cuz of lag in the kill cam :/

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Is because of this my Dad swears that there is something wrong with our modem.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
veloper said:
The big question here is, why is the lag in TF2 much less severe than MW3?
Because in TF2, like in the good ol' days of FPS gaming (or pretty much any multiplayer PC game that's not related to COD from MW2 and upwards), uses something called "dedicated servers", while every single game in the 360 and PS3 uses something called "peer to peer", or more commonly known as "hosted games".

Long story short, a dedicated server is way better and I'm still astonished to know that consoles still use the older and shitty method of peer to peer. It may be just right for Coop games, where you and a couple of buddies play together, but in competitive gaming, it's just the worst thing ever.

PerfectDeath

Mar 21, 2009
The difference between what you see and what the server decides (the kill cam); the server being the conglomerate of Peer to Peer machinations, is something I've noticed a lot playing Call of Duty.

Especially on high sensitivity; I'll hear someone behind me who's been lurking a corner of the room I entered, spin around and fire an accurate burst of 10 rounds into his chest; nothing, even though I got hit markers. The kill cam; however, shows that I've been staring at another corner as my gun wraps around my body. Fully automatic fire spewing from my barrel with each bullet traveling through the kill cam. I am killed in 2 shots from his desperate hip fire.

So what happened?

Well, my client was not synced with the "server" as well as his was. My client sent a messages that I hit him 10 times in the chest; however, the messages were sent slowly and my opponent's client was able to send two quick hit markers before I could. The server decided that he was the victor and had to figure out how to explain my loss even though I fire'd my weapon ten times.

The result was that I shot through myself and shot through him.

This stuff happens as a result of the game not needing dedicated servers.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
PerfectDeath said:
The difference between what you see and what the server decides (the kill cam); the server being the conglomerate of Peer to Peer machinations, is something I've noticed a lot playing Call of Duty.

Especially on high sensitivity; I'll hear someone behind me who's been lurking a corner of the room I entered, spin around and fire an accurate burst of 10 rounds into his chest; nothing, even though I got hit markers. The kill cam; however, shows that I've been staring at another corner as my gun wraps around my body. Fully automatic fire spewing from my barrel with each bullet traveling through the kill cam. I am killed in 2 shots from his desperate hip fire.

So what happened?

Well, my client was not synced with the "server" as well as his was. My client sent a messages that I hit him 10 times in the chest; however, the messages were sent slowly and my opponent's client was able to send two quick hit markers before I could. The server decided that he was the victor and had to figure out how to explain my loss even though I fire'd my weapon ten times.

The result was that I shot through myself and shot through him.

This stuff happens as a result of the game not needing dedicated servers.
You go through the whole post damning peer-to-peer, then say it doesn't need dedis?
...Wow.