Critical Miss: Riotous Anger

jigilojoe

Mar 4, 2009
twaddle said:
there is a way to protest and this is not it. My fellow brits i must ask you:
[HEADING=1]WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING!! HAVE YOU NO PRIDE OR HONOR FOR YOUR FELLOW COUNTRYMEN[/HEADING]
been gone for a year and you let the economy go to pot and act like bloody savages!
I took part in the 'other way to protest' only a matter of months ago, sat in a uni for a few days and listened to revolutionary speakers, as did many other students effected by the changes in university fees. Did it work? Did it hell, a week of that merely made us look like twats.

We need anger, cause sitting around doing nothing did nothing for us, though it did give the rich something to laugh at while they sipped at their wine.

The only thing which brings me pride is the fact that people are now finally standing up and acting like the animals their treated like.

As you said you haven't been in this country for a year, people are real pissed.

OT: I do, though, agree that games are not to blame

EDIT: Also, just seen on the news that I'm gonna have to pay 8% more for my train fares which is already over £350 (over 560 dollars) per year and now I don't get grants for going to college, I can't afford this shit.
[HEADING=1]VIVA LA FUCKING REVOLUTION![/HEADING] Please excuse my French

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
gallaetha_matt said:
I know right? "The arguments of both the left and the right are too over simplified, so I'm just gonna blame the rioters and nobody else."

It's like they took a half day or something. Or worse, just used the BBC as their sole source of news on this.
And yet saddeningly it seems to the general consensus of opinion, people seem incapable of being rational on the subject

Imperator_DK said:
...but he just needs a hug. And an intensive 5,000 £ a week pedagogic and psychological evaluation and encouragement program, to see whether it isn't some unresolved issues with his father that can utterly absolve him of personal responsibility, because it's all society's fault that it just didn't give the father enough hugs to pass onto his son.

Or you could throw the worthless criminal scum in jail.
Case in point- this reads like the bad copy of a right wing pundits rant.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
Togs said:
gallaetha_matt said:
I know right? "The arguments of both the left and the right are too over simplified, so I'm just gonna blame the rioters and nobody else."

It's like they took a half day or something. Or worse, just used the BBC as their sole source of news on this.
And yet saddeningly it seems to the general consensus of opinion, people seem incapable of being rational on the subject

Imperator_DK said:
...but he just needs a hug. And an intensive 5,000 £ a week pedagogic and psychological evaluation and encouragement program, to see whether it isn't some unresolved issues with his father that can utterly absolve him of personal responsibility, because it's all society's fault that it just didn't give the father enough hugs to pass onto his son.

In some cases... just a few though... though more than "a few" would seem...

What your parents do... really can scar you for life and affect you.

PiercedMonk

Feb 26, 2010
Generic Gamer said:
PiercedMonk said:
Considering the match which ignited this particular powder keg was police shooting a guy on the ground in handcuffs, maybe -- just maybe -- we shouldn't be so quick to advocate in favour of police brutality.
Well actually they shot him in the chest after he brandished a loaded gun but meh, memetic decay. I'm sure after a few months he'll have been a model citizen instead of a guy carrying a gun he should never have had.
I'm not saying that he was a good guy. However, an eye [http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23975846-man-shot-dead-by-police-in-tottenham.do] witness [http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2023951/Mark-Duggan-shooting-inquiry-Answers-key-questions-triggered-Tottenham-riots.html] claims he was being held on the ground when he was shot. I was apparently wrong about the handcuffs.

Considering the officers were claiming he shot first, but the round they recovered from being lodged in the radio was police issue, fired from a police issue carbine, you have to admit that the circumstances surrounding the shooting are at least a bit sketchy.

Don't get me wrong; I have a lot of respect for the police, and I've had many very positive encounters with law enforcement officers both in my day to day life, and as someone who frequently engages in protest activities which are not always entirely legal. I actually had to call them last night. However, I've also had the rare bad experiance with some guys on a powertrip, and bad things can happen. Bad things can really happen when violence is used to solve a situation.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
twaddle said:
[HEADING=1]WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING!! HAVE YOU NO PRIDE OR HONOR FOR YOUR FELLOW COUNTRYMEN[/HEADING]
been gone for a year and you let the economy go to pot and act like bloody savages!
Honour. There's a U in there in your 'fellow' British English.

Hopefully implied geographical standpoint questioned, moving on. Can you rewrite your post with some content rather than simply spouting ridiculously outdated buzzwords and propaganda slogans?

I don't agree with what the rioters and looters are doing, simply because it brings to mind the unrest of the 80s, both in England with the miner's strikes/Maggie Thatcher (possible candidate for a truly evil person, if true evil exists) and in Northern Ireland. Both of these things had long reaching effects on the country, some of which are still being felt today.

I haven't yet made up my mind what I think about all this, as every time I do think about it I bring up more things to consider. Hopefully I'll have some form of opinion in about a decade or so.

Off-topic: I like the continuity in the comic of Erin's stammer, which has been present since the accident at the start of the last arc.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
jigilojoe said:
ok but the biggots are completely undermining what you have been protesting for. I probably would have protested to if i was there, but it's good to know you continued the good fight without me but the these twits that are looting and hurting others are obscuring the original meaning of the original protest. Though I get most of my news second hand and american news tends to push more toward the bad propaganda than across than back at home.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
Amethyst Wind said:
twaddle said:
Honour. There's a U in there in your 'fellow' British English.

Hopefully implied geographical standpoint questioned, moving on. Can you rewrite your post with some content rather than simply spouting ridiculously outdated buzzwords and propaganda slogans?

I don't agree with what the rioters and looters are doing, simply because it brings to mind the unrest of the 80s, both in England with the miner's strikes/Maggie Thatcher (possible candidate for a truly evil person, if true evil exists) and in Northern Ireland. Both of these things had long reaching effects on the country, some of which are still being felt today.

I haven't yet made up my mind what I think about all this, as every time I do think about it I bring up more things to consider. Hopefully I'll have some form of opinion in about a decade or so.

Off-topic: I like the continuity in the comic of Erin's stammer, which has been present since the accident at the start of the last arc.
Sorry about the typo. Basically aside from I'm speaking more towards the looters undermining the original meaning of the protest.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Togs said:
gallaetha_matt said:

Imperator_DK said:

Well, I'd think throwing looters in jail is a - sorry, the - rational response in regard to them looting. If you[footnote]i.e. "Adult of legal age and mental maturity".[/footnote] alone choose to commit a crime, then you alone are to blame for that crime; whatever the chain of causality that lead you to make that choice.

Not to say the social policies of Britain couldn't use adjustments in favour of increased redistribution (...maybe deal with that humongous deficit first though), but that has no bearing whatsoever on the fact that people are 100 % responsible for their own choices, and that no one else can be blamed merely because they inadvertedly caused the choice; do you blame the existence of his child for the crimes of a thief committed to provide for it? The child was a causal factor, wasn't it?

Thankfully, we generally make the distinction between causality and culpability. Their poor social situation might have provided one of the initial sparks, but that doesn't mean the social system is liable for blame over these crimes.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
To be entirely honest there are several ways to resolve this.

In general I do not think the situation comes down to any one cause, to be honest the shooting a lot of people think was a Catalyst apparently has very little to do with it, I've read more than a few things about it, and how that seems to have been used mostly by observers and claimed as a rallying point after the fact by people wanting to look to try and justify their actions. The fact that by most accounts it was a good shoot (and I say "most" because there are people claiming things like how he was on the ground in handcuffs, but that mostly seems to be anti-police rhetoric and wasn't tossed out until way after the innocents and even the original non-violent protest over it didn't seem to be claiming that).

In the end people need to be made to fear the repercussions of their actions, as I've said in many riots in the past, humane solutions to rioters just encourage people to riot because they figure it's all possible gains, and no real risk. A simple "looters and vandals will be shot in sight without warning" policy pretty much deals with the issue. Even if we saw a massive massacre of tens or hundreds of thousands of people at the hands of police and military MORE people in future generations would benefit from the fear and precedent set. In reality though I doubt any body count would go beyond more than a few dozen (given hoe spread out things are) once people get wind of the simple fact that guys are getting gunned down by the police they are going to go home and not want to risk being shot. Overall truncheons, hoses, and/or saying "stop, or I'll say stop again" doesn't work in cases like this.

The OTHER solution is of course for the goverment to consider the riots a revolution and effectively cede authority. This is difficult to do as there really isn't a movement or a leader. Still, given the social concerns which are fueling this even if they aren't the cause, surrender might be a valid option if it's believed this is going to go further and not end. Have all the politicians in elected positions simply step down en-masse and hold new elections, consider it a massive impeachment/lack of faith vote. Of course I don't see this happening because the guys in power want to remain in power, and probably figure they would rather see the country go down (and grab as much wealth as they can on their way to elsewhere) than face that.

Overall though I think the former solution is a bit more likely, because as I said there really isn't a unified purpose here. Bullets will probably work, but I don't see the makings og a new social order here. Besides it seems like the damage being done is mostly to the civil infrastructure, I've seen very little about attacks on goverment buildings. If we started seeing people driving industrial machinery through the civic infrastructure, or lynching judges and such there might be more grounds to say this is a socially motivated uprising.... but really, we're not seeing that kind of focus.

At the same time though I'll also say that after years of hearing how "Chavs" are the lowest form of life on the planet from people in the UK, it's always possible that this is them pushing back. I can only speak from what I've been hearing, I really don't know that much about that paticular subculture or how it relates to the rest of the UK. How good that information is, is debatable.

cjbos81

Apr 8, 2009
You know the dystopic, totalitarian, Britain of the future we see in all the movies, books, TV shows, and videogames?

This is how it happens.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
dogstile said:
I'm kinda with you on the left side of things, as you put it. Government tripling uni prices while slashing benefits for poorer students (which, if you don't know, was £30 a week and was used by most people I knew who got it for food). People are understandably pissed off.

Good comic though, everyone is pointing blame at the wrong place. The people you need to blame is the absolute bastards rioting.
...despite this being an example of government ruining things, while the whole point of leftism is more reliance on government. And the rioters are destroying capitalist business owners to lash out at "the government" here. But this nitpick is neither here nor there since the entire issue comes down to:
No matter the stimuli here, what could posssibly justify harming innocents? Nothing. The rioters should take every ounce of blame. The government screwing you over? Go after the government, not your neighbor.

Dutch 924

Making the impossible happen!
Dec 8, 2010
Y'know. I think I will. It's especially their fault when they're the reason the morgues are slightly less empty.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Imperator_DK said:
Well, I'd think throwing looters in jail is a - sorry, the - rational response in regard to them looting. If you alone choose to commit a crime, then you alone are to blame for that crime; whatever the chain of causality that lead you to make that choice.

Not to say the social policies of Britain couldn't use adjustments in favour of increased redistribution (...maybe deal with that humongous deficit first though), but that has no bearing whatsoever on the fact that people are 100 % responsible for their own choices, and that no one else can be blamed merely because they caused the choice; do you blame the child of a thief if he stole to provide for it? The child was the cause, wasn't it?
Never said it wasnt, and your line of thinking is a rather black and white view of things, one with a point Id normally agree with but understanding what makes someone make a choice like that further arms in you in stopping people making that choice in the future- punishment only goes so far.

Again Im not condoning the actions of the rioters, but the blame cannot fall solely on their shoulders- they are reacting to dire circumstances in what is not the ideal way but is probably the only way they thought open to them.

And as far your last point Im borderline speechless that someone who obviously has some degree of intelligence can come out with something so asinine, go back over it and try and work out how the analogy is fitting as quite frankly I cant begin to fathom your logic there.