Critical Miss: Tet Rising

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Witty Name Here said:
That must be the most casual war ever, no one's wearing a uniform. >.>
You should tell the Vietnamese that. I'm sure they'll appreciate your consideration of their style while engaged in a brutal civil war. After all, the snappiest dressed force will win the war, right?

Calbeck

Bearer of Pointed Commentary
Jul 13, 2008
http://www.famouspictures.org/mag/index.php?title=Vietnam_Execution

The prisoner whose last instant is captured in Adam?s shot was Nguyen Van Lem...(his wife) confirms that Lem was a member of the Vietcong...Most reports give him the role of a Captain in a Viet Cong assassination and revenge platoon responsible for the killing of South Vietnamese policemen and their families.
Heck, for this kind of special fellow, I'd've posed in that hat too.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
This is bloody genius. How didn't anyone think of that joke before?

You should make an entire series of Frank's amazing war photos. It would be at once the best and worst thing ever.

Gethsemani said:
Witty Name Here said:
That must be the most casual war ever, no one's wearing a uniform. >.>
You should tell the Vietnamese that. I'm sure they'll appreciate your consideration of their style while engaged in a brutal civil war. After all, the snappiest dressed force will win the war, right?
It worked for the Fascists. They... they won, right?

Calbeck

Jul 13, 2008
Witty Name Here said:
No need to get so patronizing, I was just pointing out how none of them seemed to be dressed for combat, one of them is wearing a Hawaiian collared shirt, and the guy holding the gun doesn't appear to be wearing any military uniform.
Atchooly, he is: an American-style fatigue shirt. This was during the second day of the Tet Offensive, involving some of the most vicious fighting of the war, and most combatants in-theater got to looking pretty rumpled by that point.

The shooter is Brigadier General Nguyen Ngoc Loan, head of South Vietnam's national police force. The deceased was, as noted above, a captain in charge of a Viet Cong murder squad specifically tasked with killing cops and their families. Since he was caught wearing civilian clothes instead of a uniform, the Geneva Conventions did not protect him from summary execution.

The American photographer long regretted taking the picture, particularly since to his knowledge Loan was a genuine Vietnamese war hero. Loan later lost his leg to machinegun fire while leading a charge against Viet Cong positions, and after being relieved of his command due to the injuries, devoted his time to setting up hospitals and the helping of Vietnamese war orphans.

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
Calbeck said:
Witty Name Here said:
No need to get so patronizing, I was just pointing out how none of them seemed to be dressed for combat, one of them is wearing a Hawaiian collared shirt, and the guy holding the gun doesn't appear to be wearing any military uniform.
Atchooly, he is: an American-style fatigue shirt. This was during the second day of the Tet Offensive, involving some of the most vicious fighting of the war, and most combatants in-theater got to looking pretty rumpled by that point.

The shooter is Brigadier General Nguyen Ngoc Loan, head of South Vietnam's national police force. The deceased was, as noted above, a captain in charge of a Viet Cong murder squad specifically tasked with killing cops and their families. Since he was caught wearing civilian clothes instead of a uniform, the Geneva Conventions did not protect him from summary execution.

The American photographer long regretted taking the picture, particularly since to his knowledge Loan was a genuine Vietnamese war hero. Loan later lost his leg to machinegun fire while leading a charge against Viet Cong positions, and after being relieved of his command due to the injuries, devoted his time to setting up hospitals and the helping of Vietnamese war orphans.

Calbeck, I am glad that somebody posted this info. Nasty details like the truth tend to fall by the wayside when people show that picture.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
Personally, I'm not a fan of making humour out of infamous footage of a real person being shot.

There's a line where bad taste starts and this is way beyond it.

It's not edgy in my view and I didn't like it.

With that said, I'm sure we won't see more of the same so I just wanted to note that this one made me feel quite disgusted rather than enjoy the work.

Sorry to have to say this about a comic I've liked up until now.

Calbeck

Jul 13, 2008
Silva said:
Personally, I'm not a fan of making humour out of infamous footage of a real person being shot.
What if it was Ghadaffi?

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Silva said:

There's a line where bad taste starts and this is way beyond it.

It's not edgy in my view and I didn't like it.

With that said, I'm sure we won't see more of the same so I just wanted to note that this one made me feel quite disgusted rather than enjoy the work.

Sorry to have to say this about a comic I've liked up until now.
But, if the entire joke is about a character having a clear sense of poor taste - ie claiming to be a sophisticated war correspondent at the same that he duct tapes chainsaws to hockey sticks and hacks through the undead, surely such an image is warranted?

It's not actually making light of the picture, it's holding the picture up as an example of the discrepancy between actual war correspondence and some twat in a video game claiming to be a big deal. I think just getting disgusted out of principle is missing the point entirely.

On a different note, what's with the speech bubble police in the Facebook comments? The conventions of style exist to most effectively convey a point, and in this case, the point is that he's being an annoying ass and talking over her. If that's the case, it doesn't freaking matter which side the arrows are on...

noobartist1

Apr 11, 2011
Shamanic Rhythm said:
On a different note, what's with the speech bubble police in the Facebook comments? The conventions of style exist to most effectively convey a point, and in this case, the point is that he's being an annoying ass and talking over her. If that's the case, it doesn't freaking matter which side the arrows are on...
I donno. My money's on that guy trolling people, but you can never underestimate stupidity.

Somebody ought to link him to several newspaper comics and/or famous western works so he has a chance to jump out of the well. Quite a lot of them break speech bubble conventions more often than not.

Edit: My first three searches broke all of the conventions he was complaining about...
Dilbert
http://www.dilbert.com/

Garfield
http://www.garfield.com/comics/vault.html?yr=2011&addr=111021
(link is to the first comic which contains a speech bubble instead of a thought bubble)

Peanuts
http://www.peanuts.com/comics/

(And somebody ought to link him to old Mad Magazine strips. I still remember those loooooong linked word bubbles)

Cory Rydell

Feb 4, 2010
Where I don't necessarily agree with all of the guy's arguments on my bubble placement he does make a few fair points, and to be fair, I am just learning bubble placement now as the comic goes on and I don't mind the points being brought up. The bubbling isn't completely clear and that is a design flaw on my part that I will be more conscious of from now on.

There were many different factors leading to the first panel as it was, but I still love the panel. I actually loved doing the lines for the computer at that angle with Suchong peering over the edge, and I got a little too caught up in how I liked how the panel was framed I didn't consider what to do with Greys words after the lines were lain down.

As far as tails pointing to mouths, I'm not a fan of that convention.

I don't think mouths need to be open if that person is talking, I have always seen a panel as a picture of a single point in time. So in some instances it would make sense for people to be talking over one another, but for that panel the point in time I drew was right when Frank was coming into the room.

But Frank's words should have been on the left and I should have planned out the panels all a bit better.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
ohh I gets da reference

harks back to my class about the Vietnam War (or Conflict)...good stuff, great teacher

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Sandbox mode was a godsend and really let me just go loose and have fun. The story mode wasn't bad, either, seeing as I never beat DR2. Frank's Caruso-esque lines were so full of cheese I couldn't help but smile.
Those aren't Frank's lines, though. That garbage was Chuck's thing (and yet another reason why I couldn't stand Chuck), but they didn't better change the dialog to make it fit Frank. They just changed Chuck's puns around and made Frank say them. It's actually pretty piss poor writing on the part of the developers. Am I playing as Frank West, or Chuck Greene wearing a Frank skin? Because in every one of those pun scenes, it feels like the latter which is a disgrace. Off the Record was supposed to be Frank's game, not Chuck's game.

Tarik94

Sep 13, 2008
Why are you blaming the character? it's the player that makes the decision whether he wears that crazy stuff or not!

Just like Yahtzee's Prototype review when HE drove an APC over civilians to get to his destination and blames it on Alex Mercer, saying that somehow it was his fault...