Critical Miss: Y Ddraig Cach

Drazeric

Feb 24, 2010
I love how everyone makes fun of Canada...yet they always fail to mention that its an awesome place to live. Im sorry that we arnt the most hated country in the world like america, or that most of our people arnt obese. I love it when people make fun of us without knowing anything about us.

yakapoe

Nov 30, 2009
This is hilarious how many people are taking an issue with a webcomic playing on some nationalistic rivalry. Oh internets, you rage is without end.

Cavouku

Mar 14, 2008
So I take it that the big reveal (I only read the first page of comments, and no one mentioned it) about our protagonist- who I am assuming to be Erin, given the theme and whatnot- is Canadian?

DUN DUN DUN!

As a Canadian, I... found her reaction humorous, probably as much so as any other reader from any other country.

Heh, oh us Canucks.

Cavouku

Mar 14, 2008
Neferius said:
So our dear Erin Stout is Canadian eh?
Ah, someone else noticed that part, and possibly people back in pages 2-4. I wonder how this will change the way we look at Erin Stout?

My guess: not at all. That is where I'd find the most humour, actually.

ZydrateDealer

Nov 17, 2009
erbkaiser said:
I don't see the problem with the [font color="blue"]We[/font]st Eng[font color="blue"]l[/font]i[font color="blue"]sh[/font]. Sure their language is incomprehensible, but it's a nice little country.
Being Cymraeg I don't see a problem with any of the English just the racist ones and the ignorant ones, and while you mention it the language isn't incomprehensible at all my friend. Yes we put adjectives before nouns, but this happens in many other languages, and people from mainland europe find it a hell of a lot easier to learn welsh than english.

Still it is quite nice.

ZydrateDealer

Nov 17, 2009
psycoking said:
So Wales is England's Canada?

So, almost a copy, but somethings not quite right. They speak a little funny, and you don't really have much respect for them. Is that about right? ^_^
No. See the English invaded, conquered and subjugated us then nicked all our fossil fuel...are relationship with England is more like that of America and the Middle Eastern countries you've been stomping on recently...also we are not a malformed copy of England, if anything Scotland is because the Scottish are all from Ireland and they killed off the Picts (orginal occupants of Scotland), the English all came from mainland europe and tried killing off the original occupants but must have ran out of steam at some point because we (the welsh and the cornish) are still here on the west coast.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Hehe. Also, are they really putting the dragon the Union Flag? (Since it's actually only a Union Jack when it's on a ship but hey). That would be badass.

Leftnt Sharpe

Nick Furry
Apr 2, 2009
If Wales is our Canada would that make Scotland our Mexico? Hmmmm we could use a fucking huge fence to keep them out of England. Actually I'm pretty sure that Scotland IS our Canada, its really cold, most of the land is covered in Pine Trees and there are more cows than people.

They do make really nice Steak Pies though.

ZydrateDealer

Nov 17, 2009
As a Welshman this upset me a lot more than the Comic. (Where you see words in brackets like these I have responded to the criticisms of my nation.)

crotalidian said:
...Is this actually a real thing that is happening?

(I should hope not it'd be very tacky to stick our dragon on a background of saintly crosses, a more appropriate choice would be using the flag of St. David and sticking a bit of yellow and black into the Union Jack.)

I lived in Wales for 3 years and from that experience it is clear that the Welsh have no interest in being part of the Union Jack (or even the UK) the flag is never seen. As English people we are forced to use the 'British' flag because our beloved cross of St George has a nationalist stigma attached to it.

("I'm not Welsh but I lived there so I know everything about them, [which clearly you don't by the way] and not once have I seen a symbol that doesn't represent them in anyway proudly displayed anywhere." Very true indeed dipshit also every flag has a nationalist stigma attatched to it though not every flag is used by the English Defence League so maybe this is an issue you should take up with them not us.)

Wales is worse than Canada, they are self governed with their own budget and funds but also get tax money from England (we dont see any of theirs). and they have representatives on our parlaiment to help decide how we spend our money but English members cannot sit on the Welsh parliament (to decide how they spend our money).

(Canada is also self governed and definately has it's own budget. Our funds & budget comes from the same big pile of money gather by the government from all Welsh, English, Scotish and N.Irish people and yes our representatives meet up in Cardiff and London but they aren't seperate and our spending is watched by the London parliment, we'll never see any of our own money either because all the taxes are gathered up and distributed where they need to go, building hospitals, researching the next military advance, a politician's hooker fund etcetera etcetera; but we do pay taxes just the same. Also an English MP can't sit in Welsh parliment because their constituency isn't in Wales retard! An Englishman could sit in Welsh parliment if he was an MP for a Welsh constituency.)

I am so glad to have moved to the US. with all its problems at least we doint have to deal with this idiotic system. /rant
(I'm not the US has an image problem with the rest of the world and you aren't going to make them look better and yes democracy is an idiotic system when you think about it but then escaping a democratic country because you hate the system to wind up knowingly in another democratic system that has more problems...that isn't idiotic; because calling you an idiot would insult idiots the world over, you somewhere on the scale with George Bush and people who believe the Daily Star.)

EDIT: I'd like to point out that hearing all the worst things the English can say Wales stings but I still found the comic a little bit funny.

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
As an American who has visited Canada, and has several Canadian friends, I find the last joke funny, but inaccurate. Canada is actually really cool, and I have yet to meet anyone who actually dislikes Canada. When Americans tell Canadian jokes, they're almost as a rule, in good nature.

Wales, on the other hand, I have no experience with. I've never encountered a Welshman, so I can't say.

Regardless, though, really funny strip. Definitely one of the best.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
ive noticed that they couldnt do this about scotland, we get too aggravated about that sort of thing

difference is scotland deserves to be in UK, we basically won crimea on our own and everyone knows the majority of the SAS are scottish

hilarion

Dec 18, 2007
shootthebandit said:
ive noticed that they couldnt do this about scotland, we get too aggravated about that sort of thing

difference is scotland deserves to be in UK, we basically won crimea on our own and everyone knows the majority of the SAS are scottish
Ah, but the SAS lives and trains in Wales......

technoted

Nov 9, 2009
As an Englishman all I need to know about the welsh is; Funny accent, Strange language and of course sheep jokes. You don't really ever learn anything about them...

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
shootthebandit said:
That and you have a truly astounding degree of knife crime.

MikeyJC

Apr 17, 2009
Grey Carter said:
That and you have a truly astounding degree of knife crime.
Depends on whether you're in Glasgow or not. You're just as likely to be kissed by Glaswegian.
If you're in a car, you'll be given lovely gifts, like bricks.
Go Neds.

DeathWing007

Jan 10, 2011
LOL! Great comic.

I am Canadian and laughed at this but, I won't take offence to this. Cause I know we rock! Yay!

I've never met anyone from Wales though.

Karma168

Nov 7, 2010
Leftnt Sharpe said:
If Wales is our Canada would that make Scotland our Mexico? Hmmmm we could use a fucking huge fence to keep them out of England. Actually I'm pretty sure that Scotland IS our Canada, its really cold, most of the land is covered in Pine Trees and there are more cows than people.

They do make really nice Steak Pies though.
England's going to be Scotland's Mexico now, what with all our free University tuition n all