Criticise your favourite game

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
i have been thinking a bit, about my favourite FF game: FF9. During this i realized something...there are a few small things about this game that annoy me. it doesn't ruin the game as a whole, but it does bug me a fair bit.

For example.

Quina. Why do you exist? When has a blue mage ever been useful in ff? They're annoying and gimicky and not very useful, and usually weird as hell. Please Quina...go away. You scare me. You and your 4 foot tongue and unblinking gaze.

Vivi's ultimate spell. I think it's doomdsday, but i'm not sure. Either way it smashes the enemy with massive meteors. AND YOUR PARTY! I have tried several tactics to protect myself but ultimately they fail. Why Vivi? AIM! AAAAAAAAAAAIM! It's a giant flippin meteor, this isn't...rocket...science...
oh shut up.

Lastly, a storyline one. Beatrix and Steiner.

Those of you who look at a picture of beatrix will note that she has an eyepatch, during training, Steiner cut her eye out.

Now, later in the game, steiner and beatrix get together. Ignoring for a moment that I HATE Steiner, Beatrix just seems to be a better choice of character.

I mean think about it, she wants to prove she's the best, but also learns that she has to make her own judgement calls, even when her queen gives her orders. Steiner only learns to make his own choices.

Because of this, Steiner and Beatrix could've easily have been switched. In my opinion, this would've worked well, and they didn't need the part where the two fall in love out of the blue, with no hints at it earlier.

okay i think i'm done.

what about you escapist,

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction.

The textures can be shoddy at times, the AI soldiers can be really stupid (but once they get in a vehicle...), control can be a bit stiff at times and the controls themselves are just weird ("o" for jump?).

The storyline is also kind of choppy at times and takes a backseat but the characters completely make up for that with their interactions along with the games backstory.
[sub][sub][sub][sub]Wow, I can't even criticise Mercenaries without simultaneously praising it and pulling punches.[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing does, in fact, have a few compatability issues.

Kiardras

Feb 16, 2011
Mass effect had a shitty colour coded ending.

Skyrim, I just get bored. Theres nothing to drive my forward on the main quest.

KOTOR. It doesn't have modern shiny graphics (thats actually the best I can do... that game pwns.)

Fallout:NV - too buggy to finish. And Cazadores.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Final fantasy 6 . It's my favorite game , things that annoy me are .... Ummm....uhhh ... I got nothing that game is perfect . I guess if i WANTED to be nitpicky it COULD use some updated graphics? Nah it's perfect how it is . BUT What the hell is the step counter for ? I mean really!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Xenoblade Chronicle. Why couldn't they make a bigger Quest givers icon on the radar and also mention their exact location on their bio within the character chart? Also less recolour weapons and armours would of been nice.
Lastly a creature list would of been an nice feature.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Forza Motorsport 4 cut a lot of great tracks out from Forza 3, for no good reason.

Okami has a lower poly count and resolution than I would like. If it were on current gen consoles then it would be able to look unbelievable.

The intro sequence to Twilight Princess was way too long. But compared to Skyward Sword it's much better.

EDIT

Skyrim has some patchy graphics in places.

Darksiders was too short and had almost nothing to do apart from the main storyline.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
The league of legends community is in fact a giant pile of **** that has somehow learned to communicate via keyboard.
It's also really kinda unbalanced, I love it but the balance tends to suck.

Also Prototype has an incredibly **** story. I thought it was so badly done, I usaully preferred to try and pretend that Alex Mercer is a silent protagonist since his lines are terribad.

Indecipherable

Mar 21, 2010
Arcanum - Of Steamworks and Magicka Obscura has outdated graphics. The companions have limited impact on the game and some are effectively pointless. Some of the skills are poorly balanced and Technology, in general, starts off as extremely difficult.

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines has outdated graphics. For being on the source engine, the animations are abysmal. There are numerous bugs in the game that were never fully fixed and require external patching to correct. Some of the bugs are entirely game breaking. The game is rushed towards the end and loses itself in filler content (oodles of combat) which is against the general narrative/theme of the rest of the game.

The Mass Effect series has, for an RPG, extraordinarily little consequence to the actions it takes, even before considering the ending which shall not be mentioned. The game is much more a 'cinematic RPG' with a highly linear plot. The plot itself is overall quite average (and thus mediocre for an RPG).

Portal. ... shit. It... could go longer? Heck even the length is just right. I just don't know how to improve this one.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Beatrix lost her eye to Steiner? I'm surprised, from way she were portrayed it always seemed like Beatrix was too OP to struggle with any of your partymembers.
Also me fav character in ff9 was steiner :p So obviously we think differently in regards to him but I do agree with you in regards to steiner and beatrix hooking up kinda suddenly at the end. Guess the devs wanted to give the both of em a happy ending to go with zidanes fancy wedding.
And quina is supposed to be THE most OP character in the game for some reason, wouldn't know as I never used "it" either.

Anyways now to ***** a bit about games I like, not neccesiraly my favorites but just ones that pop into my head.

Skyrim: I always lose interest once I reach a certain point where the game simply doesn't challenge me anymore and I get the impression I'm basically playing a guided tour of local caves. Bethesda games as a whole tend to start out really well but get boring fast for me towards the endgame. At least fallout series had gunplay elements to spice things up.

Deus Ex 3: Not a bad sequel at all, but character customization and your overall selection of abilities is so poor compared to original... Iirc by the halfway point of the game I had all the main upgrades and didn't really have many new skills and abilities to look forward too.

Total War Shogun 2: Those loading times are retarded. Everytime I tried coop we just ended up abandoning our games because 2 mins+ to load battles is just ridiculous, dunno if its a computer problem or what (and yes, graphic settings are as low as they can be). It results in both me and my opponent fearful to play battles or play casual skirmishes so we would just autobattle everything but the most important fights. Not a good sign for a total war game at all :\

Alpha Protocol: Why must you be so buggy and be this gem in the rough that will never get a sequel because 1st game sold so poorly? Sniff.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
The Legacy of Kain series are getting rebooted instead of finished. Also, the games are full length movies plus some gameplay. The combat is repetitive. Blood Omen 2 does not exist.

Bloodlines is buggy and prone to crashing. The mechainics from the TT are not more than guidelines. It has too many redheads.

Heroes 3 is not balanced easily and it has some weird and annoying bugs, like when your hero starts at level 5. Also, the random map generator sometimes makes extremely stupid maps, like when you can only reach your saw mill on the second month and only after fighting some level 6 or even level 7 monsters. Some skills suck giant balls. Others are even worse. for Might and Magic, Magic totally pwns everything.

Portal is too short.

Gamergeek25

Mar 29, 2011
chinangel said:
i have been thinking a bit, about my favourite FF game: FF9. During this i realized something...there are a few small things about this game that annoy me. it doesn't ruin the game as a whole, but it does bug me a fair bit.

For example.

Quina. Why do you exist? When has a blue mage ever been useful in ff? They're annoying and gimicky and not very useful, and usually weird as hell. Please Quina...go away. You scare me. You and your 4 foot tongue and unblinking gaze.

Vivi's ultimate spell. I think it's doomdsday, but i'm not sure. Either way it smashes the enemy with massive meteors. AND YOUR PARTY! I have tried several tactics to protect myself but ultimately they fail. Why Vivi? AIM! AAAAAAAAAAAIM! It's a giant flippin meteor, this isn't...rocket...science...
oh shut up.

Lastly, a storyline one. Beatrix and Steiner.

Those of you who look at a picture of beatrix will note that she has an eyepatch, during training, Steiner cut her eye out.

Now, later in the game, steiner and beatrix get together. Ignoring for a moment that I HATE Steiner, Beatrix just seems to be a better choice of character.

I mean think about it, she wants to prove she's the best, but also learns that she has to make her own judgement calls, even when her queen gives her orders. Steiner only learns to make his own choices.

Because of this, Steiner and Beatrix could've easily have been switched. In my opinion, this would've worked well, and they didn't need the part where the two fall in love out of the blue, with no hints at it earlier.

okay i think i'm done.

what about you escapist,
Okay WoW, Enough with the damn Alliance losing streak would it kill anyone in real life if the Alliance had a victory streak or much less a victory that does not get turned around once in a while.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Huh. I always found Quina to be one of my most favorite characters and party members. :)

Also about Doomsday, I think what you need to do to use that effectively is to protect your entire party in equipment that nullifies or absorbs Shadow damage.

OT: Shadow of the Colossus. I'll admit, some of the colossi aren't nearly as fun to fight as others. *cough* no 9 *cough*

Hylke Langhout

Mar 2, 2011
Psychonauts's graphics have not aged well. Some of the platforming is very shoddy in places when exploring levels for secrets. The controls for the rolling ball power are extremely floaty and difficult. The little exploding guys are annoying as hell.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
.Hack G.U. Trilogy. God I love those games, despite it's obvious flaws. I've played through them more times than any other game I own.

The combat is way too simplistic even for a hack and slash game. It pretty much boils down to press X until everything dies. Even the Avatar battles are simple, just dodge and attack until you win.

It's also too easy. In the original four games once you left the first server you started to die a hell of a lot more. You actually had to plan out a strategy based on what kind of monsters you were fighting and who you had in your party. In the G.U. games if you somehow manage to lose a fight all you have to do is go level up one or two times and then you can win.

Skin

Dec 28, 2011
Halo:CE - Repetitive level design, although it was not uncommon back then. Also The Library was a boring chore to play.

Age of Empires 2 - God awful AI. Your strategy can consist of nothing but mass spawning light cavalry and if you survive about 2-3 attacks from your enemies, you are guaranteed a win on the hardest difficulty.

Dota/HoN - God awful balance.

CS 1.6 - Most of the weapons aren't viable even casually. Its ridiculous.

Dark Souls - awful framerate issues during some parts of the game. And also the big huge bosses (Gaping Demon, Stray Demon). They don't require any combat oriented skill, rather just learn their pattern followed by dodging attacks and hit their fat ass, rinse and repeat. Very boring.