Criticize Something You Love

IOwnTheSpire

Jul 27, 2014
We all have our favourite things, but we should be willing to recognize their faults. Some don't seem able to (looking at you, Star Wars OT fans), but I thought it'd be a fun exercise. I'll get the ball rolling:

Dragon Age Inquisition can be a slog to go through. So much stuff to do, I feel I should do it, but sometimes it gets tedious.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Let's see-

Guild Wars 2- Fuck you RNG! Fuck you!!! I lost count the amount of times I had open hundred of loot bags to get jackshit while some smuck get a very rare item just from openning one or two bags!

Borderlands- It either need ALOT more inventory or a way to sell items on the spots. Also an autoamatic way to gather loot would be appriacated than having to press f on everything that's green.

Monster Musume- There should be more development on the main guy backstories (where does he work? Where are his family) and the monster girls too.

Himouto! Umaru-chan- The main character is too much of a mary sue. She is a grade A student AND an excellent gamer (especially at claws games) WHILE being able to lazed about. They never explained how she is good at leaning and gaming nor do they shown it other than one off screen late night studying.

Oct 12, 2011
Oh chocolate. Why for dost thou degrade my health, harden my arteries and strain the resources of my pancreas? You are such a wonderful and magnificent creation. Why should you treat me so badly for my love of you?

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Much as I love her work, the formula for Kelly Clarkson's music is very disheartening and rarely changes. That's why I am often so baffled by the fanbase who pretend that it's something it's not, but fanbases of anything are usually insane.

1) Have generic lyrics and music, usually with a relatable theme.[footnote]"Breakaway", "My Life Would Suck Without You", "Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)", "A Moment Like This", "Because of You", "Catch My Breath", "People Like Us" - the list goes on[/footnote]

2) Put Kelly Clarkson's vocals on it to make it above-average (unless somebody fucks up elsewhere and the song comes off as worse). If it were by any one of her peers it would be the most generic stuff imaginable besides rare cases like "Already Gone" or "Dark Side" which can stand on other merits than vocals.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Roller-coaster Tycoon. You may be the single best amusement park simulator ever created, but by god has your engine not aged well.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Creepy fanservice aside, the first run of Dance in the Vampire Bund and its two spin-offs were unmitigated awesome. Great story, great writing, great setting, great characters, and a surprising amount of depth and exploration of tough topics for something so notorious for, well, creepy fanservice.

The second run (Scarlet Order), however, just feels deflating by comparison. It's still pretty good, but just doesn't live up to the heights set by the first. Biggest problem is that the villain and conflict is a considerable step down from what it had originally, so a lot of the tension is gone. And now that Mina the vampire queen is no longer the underdog, her character feels a bit less sympathetic and a bit more disturbing for all the unfettered power she wields.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Dark Souls - Fantastic game, but god is Blighttown just a dick move dreamt up by a sadist who'd been denied their pastime too long. Especially on the 360 with the frame loss it tends to suffer.

Star Trek - Space travel is a neat idea until you go and bugger it up by changing the warp factor scale just so you can make Warp 10 be transwarp speed. There is no valid excuse for that, none, especially after changing the concept of what transwarp is supposed to be. Also having course being stated as "that-a-way"... No! Bad Star Trek! No trained fleet officer in a space or naval fleet would ask for a course like that. Addendum: Who the hell engages in battle at under a light second in space? Especially when involving weapons that can cause planet side apocalypses! Especially when your ships detonate with the force of a super nova!

Castle - How many times are we going to do the missing partner story? Seriously, nothing says we're running out of ideas like recycling the biggest cop drama cliché for like the fourth time.

Terminator franchise - Why did you have to have to make more? Why couldn't you end on your arguable high note?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Bioshock: Infinite(Yeah, I went there)- Pretty much the entire game is held together by the Timey Whimey ball, except for the science stuff which is pretty much explained by "QUANTUM PHYSICS IS MAGIC!".

I know this now, I knew this the first time I played it and yet, I still like going back to Columbia and watching the story unfold yet again while killing a bunch of racist cops.

On a related note, Dr. Who-It's pretty much televised fan fiction and yet I can't help but keep watching.

Capcha: Aluminum Foil. So appropriate.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Final Fantasy XIV - Yes, I loved you for a while, but you don't make an expansion that appears to signal something greater for the game and then settle right back into the same rhythm you had for every update preceding it. You don't disguise an expansion as just another rote update once the pretty veneer wears off.

Pearl Jam has a song called "Bugs" on Vitalogy, their third LP. I could criticize it, but I think just listening to it is enough.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
Dark Souls - Fantastic game, but god is Blighttown just a dick move dreamt up by a sadist who'd been denied their pastime too long. Especially on the 360 with the frame loss it tends to suffer.
I seem to be the only person who didn't hate blight town, partly because of how small it was. I just ran through the whole area and never looked back.

Now, the catacombs on the other hand...

Fuck that place. Fuck the necromancers, the holy weapons you need to kill enemies, the torches you need just to see, the resurecting enemies, the suicide bomber head skeletons, that godawful level design, and, most of all, those awful wheel enemies. And, to make matters worse, that area was huge.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Crap, this is going to be easy.

Doctor Who: serially silly show people take too seriously. Modern Who seems to need to have at least one Mary Sue on deck at any given time. Romances that make Twilight look organic. Moffat has written some of my favourite "New Who" stories, but man is he repetitive.

Skies of Arcadia: Vyse has no personality or flaws. He's like a cardboard stand-in for a motivational poster. You actually need to grind exploration in the game. I repeat: you have to grind finding things. Ramirez is Sepiroth but sillier. This is also a plus, but still.

Highlander: too easy.

Grand Theft Auto V: a game that seems to hate everything. Its satire is not funny or witty or insightful. It's just scorn. It's that kind in school who always said "no duh" in the most annoying way possible but somehow managed to not be hated by everyone.

Final Fantasy VII: Sepiroth is a less-silly Ramirez. Also, everything Cloud.

Batman: hyper-competence is a super power when it strains credibility. Or the writers get lazy. Some day, Batman's going to out arm wrestle Superman while Supes is charged up on extra solar energy.

Spider-Man: Peter is a whiny quitter. Somehow, it seems less obnoxious after Tobey Maguire portrayed, it, though.

Saints Row 2: No hoverbikes. The PC version needs a massive amount of fiddling to not run like crap, and lacks the DLC the console versions have. And to think, this was done by CD PRojekt.

Brian May: stop milking Queen and record a new solo album.

Nuno Bettencourt: You can keep playing for Rihana, just record a new solo album, dammit. Does that count? Eh, it probably shouldn't.

Harry Potter: Almost all the "good guys" are jerks. Probably a good life lesson, but one I don't think people take to heart. People looooove Harry. Also, Rowling kept up the whole #notallslytherin thing, but not a single one stayed at the end to fight Voldemort? LAME.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
Star Trek - Space travel is a neat idea until you go and bugger it up by changing the warp factor scale just so you can make Warp 10 be transwarp speed. There is no valid excuse for that, none, especially after changing the concept of what transwarp is supposed to be.
Seems perfectly reasonable. The numbers prior to the change were completely arbitrary and gave no sense of scale. The current system, on the other hand, is not arbitrary and gives a sense of scale. I'm not sure how this "buggers" space travel.

MarsAtlas said:
Star Wars, the first one in particular. As a kid you wouldn't the experience to know, but if you've seen a lot of older movies, particularly WWII films, you can see they ripped off a ton. Not taking an idea and making it their own, just ripping something off blatantly. The space battles in particular do that quite a bit, with the Millenium Falcon's escape from the Death Star being the most egriegous of the bunch. I'm not saying that it doesn't work but it is blatantly and unapologetically ripping off of other films at times.
Those times being everywhere from the opening credits to the closing ones. I love the original trilogy, but I'd be surprised if there was a single unique element in them anywhere.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
C'mon, Koei! You're dropping the ball! No officer mode in Nobunaga's Ambition? Why the hell did you drop it? I mean, I don't always want to be Daimyo, maybe I want to support someone? Maybe I enjoy having social mobility?

And port the damn nintendo handheld Romance of the Three Kingdoms!! And they'd better have officer modes!

y'all killin' me here!

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
MLP: yes i can admit it's not perfect. sometimes can be a little hamfisted with it's "moral lesson".

Death Note: L...

Mass Effect: ...moving on

Saints Row series: not enough Kinzie

The Flash (tv series): give Iris something to do ffs.

Arrow: Give felicity less to do ffs

Supernatural: stop killing everyone i like

comic books: stop making new things that i want. i cannot afford it.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Money: When I have enough to cover bare expense and buy stuff that makes me happy, it's great. When I'm almost broke and can't do nothing, it sucks since most of our exchanges is based on you.

Video game community: You make awesome fan stuff. You permit people to join and bond together...But damn it do you get angry the minute someone criticize you. Things will be ok!

The Escapist:...Gaming industry forums made me want to post less.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Fire Emblem: Please tone down the anime tropes.

Internet: You bring me so much joy... but you're so freaking petty.

Nan: You complain like an old person!

Oxygen: STOP DESTROYING MY LUNGS!